Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New knee

Old 11-30-22, 10:45 AM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
New knee

Knee got replaced November 7. I hope to be on the bike Jan1 and I believe this will happen. Only gripe is not being able to get a good night sleep in bed. Three weeks in and they bent the knee 107 degrees. My new frame is supposed to come in this week, I built the wheels and will be taking parts off of one bike to install on the new one. Day by day.
Likes For wvridgerider:
Old 11-30-22, 10:48 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
Lots of new stuff!
Congrats on all.
Old 11-30-22, 02:54 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Painful operation, my wife had it done late Sept., she's still doing PT. Unfortunately, she is not active so the recovery is much longer that for somebody who has been active, such as cyclist.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 11-30-22, 04:48 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Best of luck with your recovery. Keep the updates coming.

I imagine you know that the more you follow the PT's suggestions, the more likely it is that your recovery will be good.
Old 11-30-22, 05:14 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
I just got a new hip. The old one was smashed in pieces. They tell me about the same thing
Home at 2 weeks, on a stationary bike at 4, on the trail by week 12.
Best of wishes for a successful recovery!

Dan
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 11-30-22, 06:08 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I just got a new hip. The old one was smashed in pieces. They tell me about the same thing
Home at 2 weeks, on a stationary bike at 4, on the trail by week 12.
Best of wishes for a successful recovery!

Dan
From what I hear from the surgeon who replaced my hip years ago, knee replacements are much more difficult to recover from. After my hip replacement I was walking pretty well within a week
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 12-01-22, 08:00 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
From what I hear from the surgeon who replaced my hip years ago, knee replacements are much more difficult to recover from. After my hip replacement I was walking pretty well within a week
As an RN who has worked in Orthopedics, that matches my experience with joint replacement recovery.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-01-22, 08:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
hang in there

can you vary that angle? at least for part of the evening? how do you keep it at that angle all night? pillow?
Old 12-01-22, 10:41 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
I had a total knee replacement in July 2017. I was taking short hikes in mid-September and cross-country and alpine skiing, to include telemark skiing by January 2018. Best knee I've ever had. You have much to look forward.
Old 12-01-22, 01:03 PM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
One of my friends got a knee replacement maybe a decade ago. He called it a triathlon knee. He has be speedskating (fast) and water skiing on it ever since. But now it's time for the other knee.
Old 12-01-22, 04:55 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
I had both knees replaced in 2017 - one in January and one in November so I rehabed over two winters. The first was tough to bend and took 3 weeks to pedal a stationary bike. The second bent easily and I was on a stationary bike in a week, but fully straightening that knee took 16 weeks. I've ridden over 22,000 miles in the Colorado mountains since then.
​​​​​​
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 12-02-22, 10:35 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by wvridgerider
Knee got replaced November 7. I hope to be on the bike Jan1 and I believe this will happen. Only gripe is not being able to get a good night sleep in bed. Three weeks in and they bent the knee 107 degrees. My new frame is supposed to come in this week, I built the wheels and will be taking parts off of one bike to install on the new one. Day by day.
Never had a joint replacement but have had numerous fractures including a femur that went right into the knee joint. My doctor noted that recovery is 10% due to the quality of the surgery and 90% due to the efforts of the patient. Be prepared to work hard in your rehab, first to get enough flexibility to be able to pedal (getting over top-dead-center) and then to rebuilding muscle. I broke my femur in January and it was August before I could stand and pedal. Four years later and that knee is still stiffer than my other knee, but my riding has fully recovered. It took two riding seasons to get back on top. It's a long haul but well worth it. Best to you.
Old 12-02-22, 10:39 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 275 Posts
Best of luck with your recovery and hitting your planned timeline.

I have surgery coming up and am hoping for a quick recovery also.
Old 12-02-22, 11:12 AM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Thanks everyone for the support. I can get around without the cane, although I will take it if I am walking quite a bit which isnt far for me. Just went outside and cleaned some leaves.
The surgeon told me the operation took 40 minutes longer than normal due to the condition of the knee. There were bone spurs and meniscus pieces floating around. No wonder I couldnt stand and pedal for the last few years. I hope I will be anle to stand and pedal now to give that but a break while riding.
Had a meeting last night and the guys were impressed with how well I was walking.
I will update and celebrate when I get on the bike.
Likes For wvridgerider:
Old 12-02-22, 12:38 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
hang in there

can you vary that angle? at least for part of the evening? how do you keep it at that angle all night? pillow?
They don't keep it at that angle all the time. That's a measure of how far it can bend. They want it to go all the way straight, and bend at least 90-100 degrees. 107 sounds good, but more is betterer.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 12-02-22, 01:57 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 585 Posts
wishing you a quick and fast recovery
Old 12-03-22, 07:06 AM
RickJay

Bikes: eBikeling converted REI Co-Op CTY 2.1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Here's to a complete recovery! We each recover differently so keep that in mind.
Now if you really want to hear your surgeon laugh, run your timeline past him! In the next few weeks rehab will probably have you on a stationary, let us know how that goes (it will be a good indication of were you are). As for range of motion you are shooting for straight 0 and bent 125.
I speak from experience, had both knees done in the past 18 months and am just now feeling almost normal (they will never be the same.) I ride about 20 miles a day now with no pain or swelling, not bad for a 75 year old fart who just got back in the saddle after 40 years

Be smart in your recovery, don't over do it, or you can screw the knee up permanently.

Welcome to the "Bionic Knee Club!!"
Old 12-03-22, 08:39 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedskater
One of my friends got a knee replacement maybe a decade ago. He called it a triathlon knee. He has be speedskating (fast) and water skiing on it ever since. But now it's time for the other knee.
Its a model. No different than a Canyon Grand Canyon (not meant to be ridden in the Grand Canyon) or a Litespeed Vortex (only whirlpool was in the bank account).

Stryker Triathlon is a great knee. One of the more popular knees out there in fact. Stupid name for it though.
Old 12-03-22, 09:44 PM
wvridgerider

Update
At PT Friday I was able to pedal the sit down elliptical. I will be borrowing a trainer and if I pedal the bike I will start some easy flat rides. Monday is week 4
Old 12-04-22, 09:22 AM
Speedskater

I saw my buddy at our speedskating race Saturday. We had 90 plus competitors from 8 States. He was an on ice referee, we did 125 races and he was out there for most of them. He reports that he's getting a newer model for the other knee in January.
Old 12-04-22, 09:33 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Update
At PT Friday I was able to pedal the sit down elliptical. I will be borrowing a trainer and if I pedal the bike I will start some easy flat rides. Monday is week 4
A classic example of how being fit significantly shortens the amount of time to get mobility back. My wife, being overweight and never exercising (not being critical, I love her dearly, just stating the reality), is 10 weeks after surgery, is only spinning a bike pedal slowly and with much effort. Still using a cane, cannot easily walk upstairs by placing all her weight on the new knee.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-03-23, 10:46 AM
wvridgerider

Well it happened. Got in 10 miles on Jan 1 then another 10 on the 2nd. Knee is a little tight on the top of the pedal stroke and the arch of my foot is at the pedal axle.
I believe it really loosens up the knee riding so the milage will start to increase.
I am not ready to climb so just the flats for now.
I might get a pair of Catalyst pedals and try them out, they would help with the foot placement and seem like a good idea.
Likes For wvridgerider:
Old 01-03-23, 08:33 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
That's what happens when you abuse your knee replacement.
Old 01-05-23, 03:53 PM
Speedskater

Originally Posted by Jicafold
That's what happens when you abuse your knee replacement.
Now it's time for the other knee!
The first knee's replacement is doing fine.
It's the second knee that's getting it's first replacement knee this week.
Old 01-05-23, 05:15 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Now it's time for the other knee!
The first knee's replacement is doing fine.
It's the second knee that's getting it's first replacement knee this week.
Orthopedic PA here. Keep in mind a second knee replacement hardly ever works out as well as the first. How old are you? How long did the first knee replacement last?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.