Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Flying with the bike

Old 12-23-21, 09:46 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Flying with the bike

Hi.

I will be flying with my bike this week. I have Scicon AeroComfort Road 3.0 TSA Bike Bag. Any tips for reducing a risk of my bike getting destroyed by airline?
I plan to add extra padding to top tube, and down tube. Take off pedals, chain, RD. Shift FD to a small ring. When packing wheels pack them with disk side inside the bag.

Thanks
Old 12-23-21, 10:20 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 1,427 Posts
I fly a lot with bikes internationally and domestically packing and unpacking using hard cases not Scicon. Although, they are a pain in the ass to take apart, protect, pack and reassemble, I have not had any damage / scratches.

I watched the Scicon video and I like the way it packs a lot. I now have Scicon envy.

I put more foam padding on my frame than it probably needs in the cases that I use. I assume the when US TSA opens the case and begins to inspect the contents, they will get it wrong when the “repack” and close the case. The Scicon case looks like TSA should have an easy time to open and inspect.

In my latest trip to Europe in October, one of the women on our bike tour had Delta Airlines run over her bike hard case when it fell off the luggage trailer on its way from the terminal to the plane. The bike was destroyed.

No amount of packing would have saved her bike. IMO, the derailleur hanger and alignment is the most vulnerable part. I carry a spare hanger.

Also, I think that the harder the case, the more abuse the the airlines give to the case. I think they treat softer cases more gently. Of course, that is not always the case.

Great case and have a wonderful time traveling with your bike.

Last edited by Hermes; 12-23-21 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-23-21, 04:18 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Expect TSA to open the case. Don't pack in a way an expert is needed to repack.

Don't lock the case.

Remove RD - always (you said that)

Use zip ties and rage for loose stuff

Leave bolts loose. Better to give a bit than break

Use spacer/holder between drop outs.

We have 3 cases and used about 5. Then also traveled as a team dad. We had 20 bikes in Europe and all made it back to the USA fine.
I like the TriAll3 case, but any will do.
Likes For Doge:
Old 12-24-21, 07:55 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Well bike is all packed. Fingers crossed.
Put in the plastic brake spreaders. Hopefully when I put my wheels back in, disk brakes won't rub.
Going to ask them to put some stickers that say fragile, keep up right. Will see if they comply.
Likes For UmneyDurak: