Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Winter Cycling Socks Recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-22, 09:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,600 Times in 2,907 Posts

I know we have a thread on “Thin” wool socks, but how about warm wool winter socks for use in regular cycling shoes (not boots) that are warm to the mid-30s. I am over 6’ and circulation to the extremities is problematic, so warmth is paramount. Not looking for thick bulky boot socks. Ordered a Merino Wool underlayer and the company through in a pair of socks, which are good, but am still looking of a little more warmth without breaking the bank.

Old 11-16-22, 10:26 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I know we have a thread on “Thin” wool socks, but how about warm wool winter socks for use in regular cycling shoes (not boots) that are warm to the mid-30s. I am over 6’ and circulation to the extremities is problematic, so warmth is paramount. Not looking for thick bulky boot socks. Ordered a Merino Wool underlayer and the company through in a pair of socks, which are good, but am still looking of a little more warmth without breaking the bank.
Unless you sized your cycling shoes for thicker socks all they will do is make your feet colder. You would be better off with the thin wool socks and insulated shoe covers than a thicker sock. If you can get a thicker sock in your shoe without it restricting the blood flow I like these Swiftwick wool socks. I have several pairs that I use mostly in warmer skiing conditions but they work well for cycling as they aren't too thick. I have some Smartwool socks that are incredibly warm but they are way too thick to use in my cycling shoes.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 11-16-22, 11:37 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I have smartwool socks as well but like rgmn said you don't want your shoes to be too tight with them. If you want to go cheap you can try chemical toe warmers and taping over the vents in your current shoes. The real solution is winter biking shoes, the think wool socks, and if it is really cold also the chemical toe warmers. I have bad circulation in my feet and they freeze in the winter so years ago I broke down and spent the money on some lake cx145 and those were a huge improvement.
Old 11-16-22, 11:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by RGMN
Unless you sized your cycling shoes for thicker socks all they will do is make your feet colder. You would be better off with the thin wool socks and insulated shoe covers than a thicker sock. If you can get a thicker sock in your shoe without it restricting the blood flow I like these Swiftwick wool socks. I have several pairs that I use mostly in warmer skiing conditions but they work well for cycling as they aren't too thick. I have some Smartwool socks that are incredibly warm but they are way too thick to use in my cycling shoes.
Ordered a pair of Swiftwicks and a pair of Merino Perls as a trail. I do have insulated toe covers and full neoprene booties. Thanks for the rec.

Old 11-17-22, 07:42 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I have found PEOPLE SOCKS work best for me in cooler weather. Good balance between added warmth and not too bulky. Available in different heights too:

https://www.peoplesocks.com/

I have also found they wear much better than Smart Wool. Smart wool didn't last.

Last edited by Lombard; 11-17-22 at 07:47 AM.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-17-22, 08:01 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Defeet Woolie Boolie are my only pair when riding in the mountains in winter.
They are thick wool so you might try one pair before ordering a bunch for shoe fitment.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 11-17-22, 09:57 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
I have found PEOPLE SOCKS work best for me in cooler weather. Good balance between added warmth and not too bulky. Available in different heights too:

https://www.peoplesocks.com/

I have also found they wear much better than Smart Wool. Smart wool didn't last.
I haven't tried peoplesocks, but I agree with your assessment of Smartwool. Out of all the brands I've tried (REI, Darn Tough, Wright Sock), Smartwool seems the least durable.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-17-22, 12:10 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
One little trick that I learned years ago is to wrap a piece of paper towel over your toes before inserting them into your shoes, Sounds silly I know, but in temperatures where they would be freezing my toes stay toasty warm
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-17-22, 02:36 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by alcjphil
One little trick that I learned years ago is to wrap a piece of paper towel over your toes before inserting them into your shoes, Sounds silly I know, but in temperatures where they would be freezing my toes stay toasty warm
Hmmm. It might be that works because the paper towel absorbs excess sweat away from the socks. I can't imagine that's very comfortable, but it doesn't seem to bother you.
Old 11-18-22, 06:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Going to give that a shot just for fun. Thanks (need to do it now before I forget)

Old 11-18-22, 11:40 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
If they’re not electric, they’re rubbish.

Seriously.
Old 11-19-22, 12:00 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by chaadster

Seriously.
I know that’s true about e-bikes, but what about socks?

Old 11-19-22, 05:13 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by rsbob
I know that’s true about e-bikes, but what about socks?
Well there are rubbish e-socks, so you wanna make sure to get the ones with heating elements both atop and below the toes.

I paid about $90 for mine, off Amazon, and they’ve proven to be the best, most game-changing bit of winter kit I’ve ever had.
Old 11-19-22, 06:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Well there are rubbish e-socks, so you wanna make sure to get the ones with heating elements both atop and below the toes.

I paid about $90 for mine, off Amazon, and they’ve proven to be the best, most game-changing bit of winter kit I’ve ever had.
care to share a link?
Old 11-19-22, 07:33 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Add sock liners from REI. These are very thin, wicking socks.

I sized my nice Lake shoes a bit big when I got them a few years ago. I wear wicking midweight socks and these liners even in the summer. The socks make the shoes fit correctly, but still have insulation loft. I needed the extra padding over my old foot bones and joints.

I never notice that they seem too hot even on sunny hot summer days. Kind of surprising, I suppose.
Old 11-19-22, 07:39 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Add sock liners from REI. These are very thin, wicking socks.

I sized my nice Lake shoes a bit big when I got them a few years ago. I wear wicking midweight socks and these liners even in the summer. The socks make the shoes fit correctly, but still have insulation loft. I needed the extra padding over my old foot bones and joints.

I never notice that they seem too hot even on sunny hot summer days. Kind of surprising, I suppose.
I have found that sock liners are restrictive of movement and therefore make the problem worse. But that's just me.
Old 11-19-22, 08:06 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Seriously.
Now that has me thinking about riding in even colder weather since it's my toes that are the limiting factor. Here are some reviews I'm looking at:

https://skiersguild.com/best-heated-socks-for-skiing/

Yes, I know they say they're for skiing, but no reason they wouldn't work for cycling in colder weather.
Old 11-19-22, 08:45 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
My experience may not be completely relevant since I don't have the circulation issues you mention at least not to the feet, but...

I find that I can just ride in the same relatively thick poly socks and shoes as in summer with plenty of mesh until it gets pretty cold, well below freezing. When it does become an issue it is due to windchill so I find that shoe covers or booties are the ticket, not different shoes or socks. Neoprene booties (like wetsuit material) also do add a bit of insulation, but blocking out the wind is the biggest goal.

Here in Tallahassee I seldom need to deal with below 20F and even that is only a few times per year if at all, but when I lived up north I rode wiith that approach wound to zero F and below not always even bothering with the shoe covers for trail riding on single track if the speeds were low.

Oh, btw, I think that avoiding too tight shoes is pretty important and can be a bigger deal for those of us with wide feet. I love my Sidis in the Mega models. If you do decide to go with really thick socks you may need larger wider shoes for your winter riding.
Old 11-19-22, 08:51 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
care to share a link?
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Rech...d_i=B07VFQRK1L
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-19-22, 09:13 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Now that has me thinking about riding in even colder weather since it's my toes that are the limiting factor. Here are some reviews I'm looking at:

https://skiersguild.com/best-heated-socks-for-skiing/

Yes, I know they say they're for skiing, but no reason they wouldn't work for cycling in colder weather.
Yeah, I think they’re all quite similar. I chose the ones I did, Day Wolf, primarily because their product description was thorough and told me what I wanted to know, particularly with the upper and lower heating element placement. I also didn’t much care about remote control; I’ve learned that the low setting is enough for me inside my Northwave Celsius Arctic winter cycling shoes.
Old 11-19-22, 09:27 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Only available in small and medium - Blahhh!

Yeah, I think they’re all quite similar. I chose the ones I did, Day Wolf, primarily because their product description was thorough and told me what I wanted to know, particularly with the upper and lower heating element placement. I also didn’t much care about remote control; I’ve learned that the low setting is enough for me inside my Northwave Celsius Arctic winter cycling shoes.
I don't care much about techie stuff either. I saw some that you can even connect to your smartphone with an app. TMT - Too much technology!

Amazed how many of these have cotton in them. First rule about cold weather sports clothing - NO COTTON!! Would be nice if they had some in crew length too. These all look very high.
Old 11-19-22, 09:29 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
For some reason, I dont like riding road bikes in the cold, preferring one of my hybrids. They seem to be more suited to wearing relatively bulkier clothing, plus they both have flat pedals, which I ride with some kind of regular athletic shoe, so I can wear almost any socks I like, including heavier wool socks. Seems to work out pretty well.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 11-19-22, 10:58 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Only available in small and medium - Blahhh!

I don't care much about techie stuff either. I saw some that you can even connect to your smartphone with an app. TMT - Too much technology!

Amazed how many of these have cotton in them. First rule about cold weather sports clothing - NO COTTON!! Would be nice if they had some in crew length too. These all look very high.
No cotton was a pre-req for me, too, and another reason I chose the ones I did. And yes, the sock heights are taller than I’d prefer and make suiting up a little more, um, particular. But not having cold feet on the ride is well worth it!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-19-22, 11:13 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Pearly’s when it gets real cold.

https://www.pearlyspossumsocks.com/
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 11-20-22, 07:53 AM
l3m4nt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 12 Posts
When it's freezing I just take my snowboarding-socks
Likes For l3m4nt:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.