Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

hands free fatality?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

hands free fatality?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-22, 10:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
hands free fatality?

https://www.vnews.com/Police-say-dri...tions-44393213

I think this is the approx. location
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Endi...8!2d43.3646683
Old 01-05-22, 10:30 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
what a real winner
Old 01-05-22, 10:40 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
What the article says in a very positive way about the cyclist who died is worth reading.
Old 01-05-22, 02:03 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
When I read the thread title, I thought it would be about somebody who went down and died while riding with their hands free - not on the bars.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 01-05-22, 03:11 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Just today I had some idiot try and pass me on a 80-degree turn thru an intersection. I cut him off, by going further into the lane, so he couldn't go around and then gave him a look, like whatcha goin' to do about it...he just rode off.

I don't know what's worse, the distracted drivers or the idiots that are trying to cut me off, because they can.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 01-05-22, 04:35 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
Just today I had some idiot try and pass me on a 80-degree turn thru an intersection. I cut him off, by going further into the lane, so he couldn't go around and then gave him a look, like whatcha goin' to do about it...he just rode off.

I don't know what's worse, the distracted drivers or the idiots that are trying to cut me off, because they can.

I am not understanding. Was this another cyclist trying to pass? Why do you care? Share the road, man. You don't own it. There is a freeway on ramp with a choke point that I recently moved near. After I realized that cars would try to pass right until the last second, I've started taking the lane earlier and earlier. It's for their safety, not mine. Another cyclist, I would not care. There is more than enough space for four cyclists to go through abreast. Nine times out of ten when I see another cyclist they are half my age. The rest of the time they are 1/3 my age. Of course they are faster. Why am I trying to keep them behind me by blocking a passing maneuver?
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 01-05-22, 07:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
freeway on ramp
those are no fun

FFWD to 2:18 just as the little yellow traffic officer steps off frame to the upper left. at 2:44 I wave to a car behind me on my right out of sight, as I finally cross left, to continue straight

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-05-22 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-05-22, 07:22 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by MinnMan
When I read the thread title, I thought it would be about somebody who went down and died while riding with their hands free - not on the bars.
yeah I could never write headlines for newspaper stories
Old 01-06-22, 07:58 AM
work4bike

I am not understanding. Was this another cyclist trying to pass? Why do you care? Share the road, man. You don't own it. There is a freeway on ramp with a choke point that I recently moved near. After I realized that cars would try to pass right until the last second, I've started taking the lane earlier and earlier. It's for their safety, not mine. Another cyclist, I would not care. There is more than enough space for four cyclists to go through abreast. Nine times out of ten when I see another cyclist they are half my age. The rest of the time they are 1/3 my age. Of course they are faster. Why am I trying to keep them behind me by blocking a passing maneuver?
Ok, I'll break it down for you... First notice that I said at the end of a very short post, "distracted drivers". That should have clued you in that I was talking about people that drive cars.

As for taking the lane, I had already taken the lane, but maybe I was just a little off center, but I was clearly in the lane. Notice I said, "I cut him off by moving further into the lane". This was all done while we were making the turn, I would have let him pass if it was in the straight-away. And after the turn I always FRAP, so the cars can pass (hint, sharing the road). However, in this case I was a little delayed in yielding back the lane

I'm very good at sharing the road, but this idiot didn't want to share, he was trying to pass me, despite the fact that I was fairly close to the vehicle in front of me, so he wouldn't of gained any real estate if he zoomed pass me, because if he did, he would have had to immediately slowed down.

P.S. When I moved further into the lane, he could not pass, because immediately adjacent to the road were turning onto was a lane full of cars waiting at a red light (we turned onto a very narrow road with zero shoulder). Even if I didn't move further into the lane it was a very dangerous move he did.

Old 01-06-22, 12:29 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
Ok, I'll break it down for you... First notice that I said at the end of a very short post, "distracted drivers". That should have clued you in that I was talking about people that drive cars..
Well, you have to admit you used very conflicting and distracting wording in your story which is why I was confused. You say you 'cut him off by moving further into the lane', which is impossible since you and your bike can't weigh much more than 200lb? Unless you've got some massive cojones I'm thinking his rig outweighed yours by a couple of tons? Next, you said "he rode away" ... what am I to think? I don't get into p*ss*ng contests with cagers when they display the fact that they are idiots. But, you do you. At least I am clearer now on what happened.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 01-06-22, 01:16 PM
work4bike

I know I'm but a mouse on the roads, but I'm a defiant mouse

Likes For work4bike:
Old 01-06-22, 02:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yeah I could never write headlines for newspaper stories

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-07-22, 09:58 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That's pretty bad. Everyone knows Misippi has one S.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 01-07-22, 10:08 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Well, you have to admit you used very conflicting and distracting wording in your story which is why I was confused. You say you 'cut him off by moving further into the lane', which is impossible since you and your bike can't weigh much more than 200lb? Unless you've got some massive cojones I'm thinking his rig outweighed yours by a couple of tons? Next, you said "he rode away" ... what am I to think? I don't get into p*ss*ng contests with cagers when they display the fact that they are idiots. But, you do you. At least I am clearer now on what happened.
Yes, I read that post and thought, "Were they both on bikes? Both in cars? One on a bike and one in a car? If bike and car, which was which?" Luckily, he knew what he meant when he was typing, so it's OK. Reminded me of my days as a copyeditor, when I'd often have to untangle whatever preceded ". . . and vice versa."

Last edited by Trakhak; 01-07-22 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-07-22, 11:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Yes, I read that post and thought, "Were they both on bikes? Both in cars? One on a bike and one in a car? If bike and car, which was which?" Luckily, he knew what he meant when he was typing, so it's OK. Reminded me of my days as a copyeditor, when I'd often have to untangle whatever preceded ". . . and vice versa."

In this case, I'm pretty sure the car must have had a bike on its roof to complete the confusion.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-09-22, 06:22 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Anent the OP, evidently the driver got into a scuffle with the cops to prevent them from seeing his phone which was accessing a fantasy sports site.
Witnesses say the driver was all over the road, crossing into the oncoming lane and over the fog line.
Happened near by.
Old 01-13-22, 02:20 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Cudos to the article author for using "crash".
Likes For Korina:
Old 01-13-22, 08:04 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
What the article says in a very positive way about the cyclist who died is worth reading.
Yes it is.
I don't want to seem to be blaming the victim, but this is a sad example of the reason I use a rear-view mirror.
Old 01-14-22, 07:22 AM
work4bike

Originally Posted by sweeks
Yes it is.
I don't want to seem to be blaming the victim, but this is a sad example of the reason I use a rear-view mirror.
Very true, my mirror is an essential accessory on my bike. Don't leave home without it
Likes For work4bike:
Old 01-14-22, 09:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by sweeks
Yes it is.

From the witnesses' description, it doesn't really sound to me like a mirror would have saved the rider, but who knows? Actually, we don't know whether the rider had a mirror or not. It's perfectly ok to say it's still a good idea to protect you from rear ending that may be avoidable. Where I think this shades into "blaming the victim" is when people say "this wouldn't happen to me because"... or "if the rider had.... this wouldn't have happened " To be clear, you didn't say anything like that, so I don't think you're blaming the victim at all. I just think you're saying this illustrates that a threat can come from behind, so a mirror is a good safety device.

Sorry to harp on this, but I've been accused of not understanding what victim blaming is by a couple of people who do little else but blame victims around here, and it's nice for me to be able to agree with someone that they aren't victim blaming.
Likes For livedarklions: