Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Don't be these guys (two abreast in traffic)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Don't be these guys (two abreast in traffic)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-22, 09:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The situation that is so dumb is saying a cyclist is impeding traffic when there are two lanes.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 05-01-22, 05:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by polyneux
I don't understand the philosophy of running the red lights though (I don't buy "because they do it I can do it.) I know its a slight divergence from topic but its come up a few times. I'm with the last poster in that I ride cooperatively with traffic not that I or they have some entitlement to the road that trumps the other. Stopping at red lights has lead to some of the most positive experiences with motorists I've had on a bike. "Nice bike" "hot out aint it" "want to hang on?" etc.

I bike often on a road that has lots of full-kit cyclists on it and I sometimes find myself annoyed when I, on a bike, stopped at a red light in a lane, get buzzed by a CYCLIST (or 10) who barely brakes and runs the red light. And in large groups you know the middle->back riders aren't 100% attending and are trusting the front so god forbid someone is taking their green light quickly and misses and runs into a whole pack of cyclists in the middle of an intersection on a red?
I'm not going to defend running a red light without carefully checking to make sure there's no cross traffic, but I find that going before the green is often the safest option. If I know there's a line of cars behind me, I want them passing me in the middle of the block rather than at the intersection where I'm vulnerable to a right hook. The head start of going on the red facilitates that. I'd rather they resent my "cheat" rather than inadvertently hit me.

In a growing number of states, it's legal for the cyclist to go on red as long as they come to a full stop first (Idaho Stop).

I also ride through a number of 3-way intersections where I'm FRAP on the closed side of the intersection. Unless there's a pedestrian, I will ride right through the red light. As far as I'm concerned, I'm only technically in an intersection at that point, and if I was walking in the position I'm in, no one would expect me to stop. I'm not in a lane where a car is going to be.