Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Tandem family of four struck by car on hwy 93 milemarker 7

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Tandem family of four struck by car on hwy 93 milemarker 7

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-22, 01:45 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4256 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Wow. Just wow.

You've both "WITNESSED" this?

We return to our originally scheduled compassion-free I don't see dead people thread.

-mr. bill
Show where I said I "witnessed" this. Did you read the rest of what I wrote?

rydabent more-or-less claimed it wasn't possible. That doesn't seem true at all.
Old 07-18-22, 03:31 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
If all cyclist rode with the Idea that all auto driver are out to hit them there would be fewer "accidents"!!! Never never never assume the right of way.
Darwin's law of the road >>> 2 wheels always must be Xtra wary of 4 wheels ........................... this applies to tandems with trailers and for what it's worth a lot of hi way bicyclers will (should) have a warning flag on their rig
Old 07-18-22, 04:44 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by rydabent
If all cyclist rode with the Idea that all auto driver are out to hit them there would be fewer "accidents"!!! Never never never assume the right of way.
"Right of way" is just a way of prioritizing vehicles. It really isn't a "right".

Everyone (driver or cyclist) is supposed to yield it if doing so reduces the risk of collision.
Old 07-19-22, 04:28 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Show where I said I "witnessed" this. Did you read the rest of what I wrote?

rydabent more-or-less claimed it wasn't possible. That doesn't seem true at all.
I am 1000% certain that black ice had nothing to do with this crash in Idaho in July.

https://www.facebook.com/HueyHealing

-mr. bill
Old 07-19-22, 08:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4

"The primary meaning of the word accident is that it was not intended or planned. That means there is no one to blame. "

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/collisi...ts-same-thing/

We don't ever consider aircraft incidences as accidents even though it is the safest mode of transportation in the world. Incidences involve hundreds and hundreds of hours of investigations usually resulting in new regulations and improved standards.

That quoted passage from Motorbiscuit contains a glaring non sequitur. People are blamed for negligence a lot. Negligence is not the intent to cause the harm, and the bad events that occur due to negligence are commonly referred to as accidents in all sorts of contexts.

Also, the most prominent agency engaging in the investigation of airplane mishaps--the NTSB--calls this procedure "accident investigation". and issues "accident reports". https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/...s/Reports.aspx
This notion that we don't refer to "air incidences as accidents" is a complete canard. Actually, by international agreement,the word "accident" is the correct word to use for events during operation of the aircraft that result in death and/or injury of people, or loss of or damage to the aircraft. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviati..._and_incidents

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-19-22 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-19-22, 08:41 AM
njkayaker

I am 1000% certain that black ice had nothing to do with this crash in Idaho in July.

https://www.facebook.com/HueyHealing

-mr. bill
????

I was indirectly saying it might not have been anything they could have avoided (that is, that they might not have any fault).

You (along with rydeabent), apparently, are arguing otherwise.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-19-22 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-19-22, 01:48 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Also, the most prominent agency engaging in the investigation of airplane mishaps--the NTSB--calls this procedure "accident investigation". and issues "accident reports".
OK, I've had enough of this sophistry showing up every single time.

The NTSB is required by statute to issue "accident" reports.

Originally Posted by 49 CFR § 830.2 - Definitions.

Aircraft accident means an occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft which takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight and all such persons have disembarked, and in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage. For purposes of this part, the definition of “aircraft accident” includes “unmanned aircraft accident,” as defined herein.
Accident reports are a subset of "Investigation Reports" - investigations can also be opened into incidents. Definition of incident is left as an exercise to the reader.

If one actually bothered to read NTSB "Accident Reports" one would find that the titles contain terms such as "Collision," "Grounding and Sinking," "Roadway Departure," "Fire Aboard," "Loss of Engine Power," "Contact... with... Bridge," "Hazardous Liquid Pipeline Strike," etc. etc. etc. etc. You know what term NTSB accident reports titles doesn't contain? Crickets.

Back to our regular scheduled inhumanity thread.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-19-22 at 01:59 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-19-22, 01:56 PM
mr_bill

p.s. You know what Idaho State Police called this "accident"?

Vehicle vs Bicycle Fatality Crash on US93, North of Jackpot, NV

-mr. bill
Old 07-19-22, 02:19 PM
njkayaker

Accident reports are a subset of "Investigation Reports" - investigations can also be opened into incidents. Definition of incident is left as an exercise to the reader.

If one actually bothered to read NTSB "Accident Reports" one would find that the titles contain terms such as "Collision," "Grounding and Sinking," "Roadway Departure," "Fire Aboard," "Loss of Engine Power," "Contact... with... Bridge," "Hazardous Liquid Pipeline Strike," etc. etc. etc. etc. You know what term NTSB accident reports titles doesn't contain? Crickets.

-mr. bill
We return to our originally scheduled compassion-free I don't see dead people thread.

-mr. bill
You need to follow your own advice.
Old 07-19-22, 02:21 PM
mr_bill

18 thoughtless replies to this thread. Good day sir.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 07-19-22, 02:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

-mr. bill

What the hell sophistry are you are you talking about? The word "accident" is used throughout those reports as well. Those other words are types of accidents or synonyms for accident. I'm damn sick of people making false claims about the meaning of the word "accident" and just plain lying about its clearly very common usage to include all manner of incidents that either do or do not involve blameful conduct.
The reason that CFR exists, btw is because it's tracking the language of an international convention. That definition is straight out of the convention. This is evidence enough that the claim that the word implies anything positive or negative about fault or blame is complete BS.

Sorry, but this whole "accident" vs. "crash" junk smacks of people shuffling deck chairs to make themselves look like they're having an effect. I don't think as advocacy it lends people any credibility when they make absurd claims about word usage when two seconds of google will provide you with a nearly infinite supply of counter-examples.

Here's the agency's own summary of their findings in a mid-air collision--notice what they call it in the first sentence:

The probable cause of this accident was the inherent limitations of the see-and-avoid concept, which prevented the two pilots from seeing the other airplane before the collision, and the absence of visual and aural alerts from both airplanes’ traffic display systems, while operating in a geographic area with a high concentration of air tour activity. Contributing to the accident were (1) the Federal Aviation Administration’s provision of new transceivers that lacked alerting capability to Capstone Program operators without adequately mitigating the increased risk associated with the consequent loss of the previously available alerting capability and (2) the absence of a requirement for airborne traffic advisory systems with aural alerting among operators who carry passengers for hire.​

Friggin' crickets? Don't think so.
Old 07-19-22, 02:49 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
What the hell ...
Are you a pilot?
Old 07-19-22, 02:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Are you a pilot?
No, are you a cowboy?
Old 07-19-22, 02:58 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
No, are you a cowboy?
Some would say I am a cowboy, since we own a small ranch with horses and cattle, and I've done some roping for fun.

But, I was just asking if you were a pilot out of curiosity, because CFR Title 14 is something all pilots are acquainted with.
Old 07-19-22, 06:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Some would say I am a cowboy, since we own a small ranch with horses and cattle, and I've done some roping for fun.

But, I was just asking if you were a pilot out of curiosity, because CFR Title 14 is something all pilots are acquainted with.

Sorry, I didn't understand why you were asking the question. No, I'm a lawyer who is familiar with the CFR generally.
Old 07-24-22, 12:24 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
One common scenario is this:

1. Cars are approaching in the opposite lane,

2. Truck or large vehicle approaching cyclist from behind. Truck slows down a good distance behind cyclist to allow traffic in the opposite lane to clear the area so the truck driver can move into the opposite lane to pass the cyclist without slowing to a crawl.

3. A second vehicle is behind the truck and can't see the cyclists at all because as the truck slows causing the car(s) behind the truck start to bunch up. Motorist in the first car behind the truck starts scoping out the opposing lane to pass the slowing truck focusing their attention on the OPPOSITE side of the road of where the cyclist is.

4. At the last moment the truck scoots over the center line to pass the cyclist safely.

5. The car trailing the truck has no time to SEE the cyclist and react. (Assuming the cyclist is left of the fog line in the USA)

6. !BLAMO!

This happens a million times a day. It is remarkable that so few cyclists get clobbered.
Old 07-24-22, 05:06 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
One common scenario is this:

1. Cars are approaching in the opposite lane,

2. Truck or large vehicle approaching cyclist from behind. Truck slows down a good distance behind cyclist to allow traffic in the opposite lane to clear the area so the truck driver can move into the opposite lane to pass the cyclist without slowing to a crawl.

3. A second vehicle is behind the truck and can't see the cyclists at all because as the truck slows causing the car(s) behind the truck start to bunch up. Motorist in the first car behind the truck starts scoping out the opposing lane to pass the slowing truck focusing their attention on the OPPOSITE side of the road of where the cyclist is.

4. At the last moment the truck scoots over the center line to pass the cyclist safely.

5. The car trailing the truck has no time to SEE the cyclist and react. (Assuming the cyclist is left of the fog line in the USA)

6. !BLAMO!

This happens a million times a day. It is remarkable that so few cyclists get clobbered.
In this particular case, all this wild speculation seems very unlikely.
Old 07-24-22, 05:08 PM
njkayaker

18 thoughtless replies to this thread. Good day sir.
And what you "contributed" was inane whinging. Again, you don't follow the rules you impose on others.