Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hit in the chest by a bat

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Hit in the chest by a bat

Old 10-19-07, 11:32 PM
ChipSeal
www.chipsea.blogspot.com

Bikes: Giant OCR C0 road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evblazer
My wife becoming an animal control office scrapped plans to put up a habitat for bats. They are great for the health of the environment and all but they are the top rabies carriers, and yes rabies in humans is extremely rare but getting thwacked in the chest or face with them at high speed might be more risky then having them in the attic.
Looks like only 1% or so of bats but just be careful playing with the bats
A few quotes from Rabies.com
"Bats pose the biggest rabies risk to humans.
Also from Rabies.com:

"Of the 32 human rabies cases reported between 1990 and 2000, 24 were caused by contact with bats."

Um, with an average of 2.4 people out of 300,000,000 getting rabies from bats in any one year, I am going to have trouble sleeping tonight out of fear!
Old 10-20-07, 04:20 AM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber
Even though they look like their flying under the influence, bats are usually pretty amazing in their avoidance abilities...
Yep, bats are incredible in both avoidance and intercepting bugs. The one that hit sg must have been on the cell phone.
Old 10-20-07, 09:34 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dauphin
not long ago I came screaming around a corner and startled a buzzard feasting on a squirrel....it takes those big guys a few seconds to get up speed and take off.....we almost met face to face....those things are huge.
I had that happen to me one time...only there were three buzzards on the road kill.

But what most freaked me out was when I passed underneath them as they struggled to get airborne...I was really hoping that they weren't going to get scared a let loose with a barrage of buzzard crap!
Old 10-20-07, 12:14 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP

But what most freaked me out was when I passed underneath them as they struggled to get airborne...I was really hoping that they weren't going to get scared a let loose with a barrage of buzzard crap!
They do have a bad tendency to do that .

East Hill
Old 10-20-07, 12:54 PM
ChipSeal
www.chipsea.blogspot.com

Bikes: Giant OCR C0 road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
I had that happen to me one time...only there were three buzzards on the road kill.

When startled or frightened, buzzards will, in their desperate attempt to get airborne and away, often jettison ballast. (As it were.) It is quite possibly worse than you imagine: They vomit whatever road-kill they were feasting on. It would be a long ride home if you ever had the misfortune of being covered in that!

I always give them space to flee in a leisurely manner.
Old 10-21-07, 01:43 AM
kendall

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never got hit by a bat. Did get bruised up by a deer, coming up on a corner a car startled the deer and he came through the woods and plowed right into me, knocked me flying

saw the car go accross the intersection, then heard crashing in the woods, looked over just in time to yell out 'DEER!' and I was hit.

ken.
Old 10-21-07, 04:38 AM
DickyJ
Sucks at loife

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
one night, while riding home, a rabbit leapt from the side of the road and was less than an inch from my face as we came remarkably close to a collision but a had a species to species whites of our eyes moment
Could've been worse dude..

Last edited by DickyJ; 10-21-07 at 04:43 AM.
Old 03-17-22, 11:41 PM
Azrealwee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mr

Originally Posted by sggoodri
- the winged kind.

I had just bought a set of front and rear lights for my 14-year-old niece and we were riding through a neighborhood after the sun set. In the twilight I saw some bats sweeping through the air near the treetops ahead.

Then I feel something soft bounce off of my hand on the handlebar and strike me in the chest. I look down just in time to see the bat flapping and flying off.

I had no scratches, so no concern about rabies. [Edit: After the ride I took off my jersey and looked carefully for any break in the skin, and found nothing. Take bats seriously!]

Anybody else ever run into a winged mammal or bird?
Hello.
I have encountered at least on 3 seperate occasions and different locations a Bat has flown into me connecting my Chest at all 3 occasion. This happened at least 1.5 years after I was Medically pronounced dead.....but I am ok and all good now again. So I don't know if perhaps that had anything to do with the Bat flying into me, or did it simply just not see me?
Old 03-18-22, 04:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Treespeed
Still, up close and personal they are quite alien looking and would startle anyone not expecting to find one on their chest. It's so strange that something could hunt a moth by sound and then run into something as large as a person on a bike. I've only seen one up close and personal that I found sleeping in a woodpile. What an amazing example of natural selection at work.

Maybe there was a moth on the path?
Old 03-18-22, 06:56 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
I have been stung a number of times and have had a squirrel run across hit my front spokes and stagger off. Glad he bounced off! I hit a buzzard on my motorcycle one time. Glancing blow. The ammonia like stench was seriously nasty.
Old 03-18-22, 07:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Speaking of the undead, I just responded to a 15 year old post....
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-18-22, 03:39 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber
Even though they look like their flying under the influence, bats are usually pretty amazing in their avoidance abilities (I've had to capture / eliminate several in the house).
Bats are certainly different from birds.

Birds see windows as transparent. Bats sees them as opaque. So, it may be easier for a bat to find an escape than a bird.

I keep the cat rabies vaccines current, just in case they manage to catch a sick bat.
Old 03-19-22, 11:41 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Okay, this Zombie Thread is closed!
Oops, I don’t have superpowers to close a thread. 😃
Have never had a close encounter with a bat - I always ring my bell if I see one coming at me.
Old 03-19-22, 12:39 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
You can't close this thread like you would a zombie thread. It's a vampire thread - you have to expose it to daylight.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-19-22, 01:05 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
I've had close calls with birds, especially the long-legged water birds and I've been hit in the front tooth by a large bumble bee (or something of similar mass). However, the closest I've come to an experience of being hit by a bat is running face first into a Dragonfly.

Dragonflies around here swarm by the hundreds on any section of road during the summertime. They are normally very good at getting out of your way, albeit, at the very last second. Although, there was this one time when one zigged when it should have zagged and hit me directly in the face. All I remember were the feeling of those spindly legs dancing on my face and the flapping of the wings. I don't know how I kept the rubber side down....

Old 03-19-22, 02:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by work4bike
I've had close calls with birds, especially the long-legged water birds and I've been hit in the front tooth by a large bumble bee (or something of similar mass). However, the closest I've come to an experience of being hit by a bat is running face first into a Dragonfly.

Dragonflies around here swarm by the hundreds on any section of road during the summertime. They are normally very good at getting out of your way, albeit, at the very last second. Although, there was this one time when one zigged when it should have zagged and hit me directly in the face. All I remember were the feeling of those spindly legs dancing on my face and the flapping of the wings. I don't know how I kept the rubber side down....

I've posted this story too many times, but I was once charged by a woodchuck while riding my bike. It would've been even easier to swerve around her if I hadn't been laughing so hard. A woodchuck trying to look scary is very, very funny.
Old 03-21-22, 06:08 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 244 Posts
Hit a butterfly on a descent, once, in the upper left chest area. That sucker hurt! Glad it wasn't anything bigger.

Makes you appreciate the concept of momentum a bit more. I can understand why NASA et al get concerned about even small bits of junk flying around at orbital speeds. If v is large, even if m is small it can cause serious damage.
Old 03-21-22, 11:28 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Hit a butterfly on a descent, once, in the upper left chest area. That sucker hurt! Glad it wasn't anything bigger.
Junebug to the chest at 60mph leaves a welt, even through a leather jacket. (motorcycle)

Makes you appreciate the concept of momentum a bit more. I can understand why NASA et al get concerned about even small bits of junk flying around at orbital speeds. If v is large, even if m is small it can cause serious damage.
Yep. Kinetic energy = 1/2 * (mass * velocity ^2)
Old 03-21-22, 11:41 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
- the winged kind.

I had just bought a set of front and rear lights for my 14-year-old niece and we were riding through a neighborhood after the sun set. In the twilight I saw some bats sweeping through the air near the treetops ahead.

Then I feel something soft bounce off of my hand on the handlebar and strike me in the chest. I look down just in time to see the bat flapping and flying off.

I had no scratches, so no concern about rabies. [Edit: After the ride I took off my jersey and looked carefully for any break in the skin, and found nothing. Take bats seriously!]

Anybody else ever run into a winged mammal or bird?
AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! I thought by your title that someone
ad come out and hit you with a baseball bat. Glad to hear it was an aminal!
Old 03-21-22, 11:59 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Treespeed
Still, up close and personal they are quite alien looking and would startle anyone not expecting to find one on their chest. It's so strange that something could hunt a moth by sound and then run into something as large as a person on a bike. I've only seen one up close and personal that I found sleeping in a woodpile. What an amazing example of natural selection at work.
I suspect bikes are an issue for bats because in their million years or so of development, they've never had to deal with an animal that moves like us. So they've never had the need or opportunity to develop the brain skills to identify us. Now, when we get off out bikes, they can fly in close quarters with us all day. I used to watch them at the 4th of July Waterfront Blues Festival where they would come out every evening to eat all the insects we attracted. (Well, not all. The swifts and dragonfly took out hundreds/thousands while the light was good.) Those bats would fly through the crowd, sometimes below waist level. Never saw a hit.

Edit: just saw I answered a 15 year old post. Oh well. In bat evolutionary history, that's milliseconds.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 03-21-22 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-21-22, 12:11 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
According to my dad, if you keep fly fishing past dusk you won't catch any fish, but you will catch a bat.

Never sure if this was one of his "fish" stories, but he told it regularly.

Along with never sneak up on a fly fisherman, especially if you his older brother. You might get caught. At least for this one there was physical evidence (a scar). If not true, good cover story.

Edit:

Fifteen years? Argh, even “real” zombies expire after a decade.

But, two years ago, shopping list:

Vampires: Wooden stakes, Lots of Garlic
Werewolves: Silver Crosses, Lots of Wolfsbane
Zombies: Shotguns, Lots of Shotgun Shells
Corona Viruses: Cases and Cases of TP

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-21-22 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-21-22, 01:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Was the bat using a cell phone?
Old 03-21-22, 01:17 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
This is honestly one of the longest late resurrections I have ever seen. Surprised there were enough parts still sticking together to be mobile.
Old 03-21-22, 01:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
This is honestly one of the longest late resurrections I have ever seen. Surprised there were enough parts still sticking together to be mobile.

We're all stalling until someone comes up with a good guano joke.