Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do some bike tyres come without boxes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do some bike tyres come without boxes?

Old 03-21-21, 09:31 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I got some Bruce Gordon tires that way. I also bought some Bontrager tubes that were in boxes, but the valves had no stems in them.
I'm sure a to of people would be happy if the stuff they bought was not in that nearly indestructible plastic encasement.
Old 03-21-21, 09:52 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 470 Posts
Originally Posted by sw20
Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this as all previous tyres folded tyres I have bought came in boxes (GP4 Seasons, Corsa G) just checking I hadn't bought duds!
Anyway, fitted them and they have mounted fine and look and feel good.
Recently I saw a sale on some tires from Probikekit (or biketiresdirect? Dunno doesn't matter) stating that they would ship sans packaging because as others have said they were for oem use or something. Check the fine print of the tires you just ordered.
Old 03-22-21, 10:06 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Boxes are not the only package option for folding tires - the last Panaracer tire I got was folded through a card with a hole to hang on a hook.

Square boxes might be cheaper to stack, but I'd bet if the tires are all shipped in a larger box you can fit more unboxed tires than boxed tires. It's not like loaves of bread that get squished or ruined if you stack them without boxes.
Old 03-23-21, 10:05 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs

whats Continental have to say? did you pay MSRP or a deep discount?
Continental have confirmed they were OE tyres which are sold to bike manufacturers to fit to bikes that technically shouldn't be sold, tyres sold in the after market should come in a box.
Likes For sw20: