Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When to ring your bell (Warning: vent alert)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

When to ring your bell (Warning: vent alert)

Old 10-29-21, 11:22 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Agreed! I've changed to "bike passing" or "bike behind you".
Hot pizza!
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-29-21, 11:32 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
We've all seen it... you're out walking or riding with the kids on a quiet trail on a Sunday morning when out of nowhere you hear someone scream "ON YOUR LEFT" .005 seconds before they blow past your left shoulder at 25mph with inches to spare - often while there is oncoming traffic.

These people are not announcing a pass or alerting you to their presence, they're telling you to get out of their way. They're usually in the middle of a workout and riding way too fast. They also probably think MUPs are a good place to do threshold intervals and don't understand why so many slower cyclists and walkers are out there clogging up the trail.

It's not really a mystery why some pedestrians and slower cyclists get a little prickly about the passing situation on MUPs.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-29-21, 12:39 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
We've all seen it... you're out walking or riding with the kids on a quiet trail on a Sunday morning when out of nowhere you hear someone scream "ON YOUR LEFT" .005 seconds before they blow past your left shoulder at 25mph with inches to spare - often while there is oncoming traffic.

These people are not announcing a pass or alerting you to their presence, they're telling you to get out of their way. They're usually in the middle of a workout and riding way too fast. They also probably think MUPs are a good place to do threshold intervals and don't understand why so many slower cyclists and walkers are out there clogging up the trail.

It's not really a mystery why some pedestrians and slower cyclists get a little prickly about the passing situation on MUPs.
Focus on the person, not the mode of transportation. There are rude and aggressive people on trails that are running, roller skiing, escootering, ...

There has been a long held bias against people biking (not cyclists); they tell you to get off the road, then they tell you to get off the sidewalk, then the tell you you're too fast for a trail without speed limits, ... frankly, I don't think there is a place you can ride a bike without somebody getting prickly.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-29-21, 01:12 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
The short answer: you will never please everyone on the trail. I use bells and/or a number different of verbal alerts. Every single option has had a least one person shout a similarly annoying and profane response.

I have a bell on most of my bikes, including my brand new carbon fiber road bike (told the folks on my bike club that it came with "all the bells and whistles" LOL). I like the bell for most multi-use paths around here because the trails are busy with both people biking and walking. When my hands are busy, or if it's clear they are not hearing the bell, I'll use a verbal alert too.

I've had people engrossed in conversations or whatever is in their earbuds, and yell at me for not announcing a pass ... after bells and verbal alerts.
I've had people yell at me for being angry while giving a verbal alert,
I've had people jump (I mean JUMP) when I give an alert.

This is one of my favorite stories from earlier this summer (I posted this on a FB group):
So ... I found out today that a bell is no longer good enough to announce a pass and that you must also announce "on your left" too. I'm a major advocate for trail etiquette so I'm surprised I missed the announcement of this change.
Either that or some people will always be annoyed by faster riders passing ... IDK?
Details: I wasn't passing quickly, there were only two of us on the N Cedar Trail in SLP. I have a Spurcycle bell (if you don't know, these are strong and clear bell). It wasn't totally clear what the person was calling out from behind, the wind noise made it difficult to hear ... but I heard twice "say on your left". If you're the person that was annoyed with an old guy slowing passing on a recovery ride ... please share your side of the story, I'm honestly interested to hear.
**** that "say 'on your left'" guy. There's a small, but non-zero part of the population that, when startled, will hear "..mumble mumble.. left!" and will think that they're supposed to move left... right in to you.

The run-in that I really enjoyed was when I announced a pass on M'haha Pkwy. I said, not yelled, but said "passing," and I passed. Upon doing so, this dude started grousing, "what is it with you guys?! 'Passing! Passing!' I know you're ******g passing! You don't have to yell it all the time!" It was so weird that I had to slow down and have a "wtf?" talk with him.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-29-21, 02:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Years ago I took a MUP that paralleled a main road for a few blocks to avoid too fast traffic. Had to overtake some pedestrians, slowed down, called out "bike passing on the left," as I went by I heard "hey do you know where ..." so I stopped to earn some good karma. The lady asked me what I said before I passed, so apparently "bike passing on the left" is meaningless.
Old 10-29-21, 02:13 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
... frankly, I don't think there is a place you can ride a bike without somebody getting prickly.
Much of America hates bicycles.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-29-21, 02:50 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
Might be more a vent, but as I’m fairly new to cycling I’d appreciate hearing member’s thoughts on bell ringing to let people know you’re passing. I ring it on a case-by-case basis (if there’s a large speed differential, if I know we’re approaching a section where people often cross lanes, kids, etc.) but had a fairly unpleasant experience today.

Was on a shared bike/pedestrian path and there was a couple ahead. More leisure cyclists, both appeared to be in their fifties, and cycling single file with about 5m between them. Path doing a few twists when I came up on her rear and I free wheeled and coasted behind for about ten seconds. She heard my pawls/freehub (pretty loud on my bike) and looked back so knew I was there and that I would be passing. As we came around the last corner the path was clear for 100m ahead so I moved far right and passed her. As I did she called to her partner “bike passing” and I passed him shortly afterwards. He shouted after me, “know that bell on your bike? ******g use it”.

Totally unnecessary (in my opinion) and I returned to remonstrate, explaining that his partner knew I was there, had called to him, we were only doing about 10kmh and I passed a good 2m on his right. I actually felt I’d been more than polite, giving her space and waiting until I could be absolutely certain it was safe to pass.

I’m passed frequently by other cyclists on bike paths, at 30kmh plus, and rarely, if ever, does anybody ring their bell. I do if I’ve noticed a cyclist not keeping religiously left, but usually don’t if there’s good space to pass.

And conversely I passed a female cyclist on a bike path commute and knew we were coming to a section cyclists often cross both lanes to drop onto the road so rang my bell, once, as I was passing only for her to shout something after me (I don’t know what, to be honest, but she didn’t sound happy). I often find it an irritation when every bike rings their bell at me when, as a pedestrian, I always keep left.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I imagine most people will ring on a case by case basis, and will be grown up enough to know that we’re not all going to agree on when that is so won’t hurl abuse after fellow cyclists, but just wondered if there is a consensus/etiquette. If the community thinks I should have rang my bell, even in that specific example, then I’ll have to ring literally when I pass everybody.

p.s. I’m in Australia, so we cycle/drive on the left.
I did a century last weekend, and at one point hopped into a small group that was significantly faster that many/most of the riders stretch out along the route. One of the group had a bell that he pinged as we were passing cyclists on the road. None of this pinging was directed toward me, but I still found it quite irritating. Maybe because I heard it repeatedly, maybe once wouldn't have been quite so annoying. I was quite surprised, as this was the first "hardcore roadie" I'd ever encountered with a bell in their bike. I avoid MUPs like the plague, presumably bells are more common there? The few times I find myself marooned on an MUP, when passing, I slow up and speak, as loud as I can without shouting, some variation of "I'm going to pass on your left, Folks" - seems to do the job without any drama.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 10-29-21, 03:20 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
I've ridden a little in Perth. I'm pretty surprised by this as it seems to have a good natured cycling culture.

My guess, they lady is a little skittish on the bike, probably had a bad experience and the bloke is being over protective.

Best response: Smile and wave. If they use profanity "Jesus loves you" works on many levels too.
Likes For znomit:
Old 10-29-21, 04:53 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,959 Times in 1,571 Posts
I have a bell on my daily driver bike (TCR). I use it a lot.
Old 10-29-21, 04:59 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts

These people are not announcing a pass or alerting you to their presence, they're telling you to get out of their way. They're usually in the middle of a workout and riding way too fast ...
^ This.

It's far too prevalent, at least in many places in the U.S. where I have ridden.

With MUPs, speeders generally seem to be of the impression that a nanosecond's warning constitutes notification and sufficient time for the others to prep for a pass instead of jetting aside as though they're about to get mowed down. Aggressive speeds, unaccommodating attitudes, often belligerent. Nicely, it's relatively infrequent. At least, where I live and ride.

On the roadway, generally speaking, vehicle drivers of this sort often seem to think the "car" road is for automobiles only and any cyclist who's there is committing some sort of infraction or sin by being there. And, thus, is not deserving of the same rights and right-of-way accommodation everyone else has.

Depending on the community and its prevalence of intolerance, it can be downright dangerous.

More and more, I find cyclists banding together in moderately-sized groups merely out of self-preservation. Seems to work, when a collection of bikers takes up one of the car lanes and effectively requires any passing vehicles to actually execute a safe pass in the other lane as they'd do with any other vehicle. Smart. But, sad that it's necessary.

When to ring the warning bell on a bike? When one is approaching, at a distance to give sufficient leadtime for proper safe prep by the others one is planning to pass. It's only fair. And it's often the only safe thing to do, particularly if a MUP is taken up by a randomly meandering gaggle of friends with about half of them walking dogs on overly-long and -slack leashes. Advance warning and passing gingerly and slowly is about the only safe play.
Old 10-29-21, 05:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
​​​Neither of the cited posts cover a fairly common reaction by non-cyclists and inexperience cyclists around these parts: interpreting "on your left" as a command to shift to their left, which leads to a close call.
Giving the alert early enough to see their reaction and avoid when necessary makes that a non-issue. After a few times, the noobs will either not be on the trail anyway, or they'll wise up and understand what is meant after a few walks.

I get more thankyou's from walkers when I alert them than grief or startled noobs. I prefer to say "passing left" or "bike left". And modify it for the noobs that are on the left and I have to pass on the right instead.

As a frequent walker myself, bicycles can be pretty stealthy. So it's nice to know when I need to hold my line whether walking or cycling.

The guidelines on our MUP also says to give an audible alert when about to pass others.
Old 10-29-21, 07:36 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts

people who blow by you with inches to spare aren't yelling at you to get out of the way. They just want you to hold your line, and are more comfortable passing close than you. Are they jerks for this? Maybe, but it's not intentional, if anything it's a sign of experience. the roadies around here often terrify liesure cyclists.

OP you're overthinking it, you only have to give warning if you're overtaking them on the wrong side, the right in your case. As you pass someone give a friendly "hello" and give them plenty of room. The bell is just to ring when you're excited or greeting someone, and to flex on roadies you pass who don't have bells.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 10-29-21 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-30-21, 01:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
If I use a bell at all it's usually a Timber mountain bike bell that rings continuously or not at all, via a mechanical switch/damper for the clapper. Sounds kinda like an ice cream truck bell. Friendly, not too loud, seems to gently nudge folks without startling anyone. Frequency of the jingling can be roughly adjusted by tilting the bell on the handlebar, stem, frame, whatever.

Often I forget to mount a bell so I just slow as I'm overtaking folks, and in a normal voice say "Bicycle behind you," and wait for them to move. No need to holler "Onyerleft!" which causes some folks to move left. I wait for them to move whichever way they want, then pass slowly and safely around 'em. No biggie.

Mostly I avoid the MUP, other than a couple of times a month for commutes to and from group rides.

And no matter what you do, you'll encounter some MUP users who won't be happy with our choices. The MUP is like any public place. Occasionally there are some eccentric, high strung and angry folks too. Their personal issues are way beyond ringing bells or announcing an intent to pass.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-30-21, 04:00 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I stay off MUPs where despite dinging my bell, slowing down, and using the standard, "On your left"....Fred and/or Wilma with their earbuds on pitch a hissy fit when being passed. Less risk playing in traffic for me.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 10-30-21, 05:28 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
And no matter what you do, you'll encounter some MUP users who won't be happy with our choices. The MUP is like any public place. Occasionally there are some eccentric, high strung and angry folks too. Their personal issues are way beyond ringing bells or announcing an intent to pass.
True! Although I am not talking about the perpetually disgruntled, merely about those who are almost completely oblivious, as if the MUP is their private backyard.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 10-30-21, 06:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I ring about 40 feet back and say "icecream man". That usually gets acknowledged.
Is that you, Jonathan Richman?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-30-21, 07:23 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
There are individuals who do not know what " ...Coming Up On Your SIX... " means.

Intended ACTION --- PASSING, along with intended SIDE --- RIGHT or LEFT

I try to make my action as clear as possible with --- Passing on your LEFT or Passing on your RIGHT. On your Left is meaningless.

I have bells on my bikes and ring especially when a dog is being walked. Usually the dog hears the bell before the walker and reacts then followed by owner/walker. My actions are taken whether the individual is facing me or not.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 10-30-21, 07:56 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Passing is about as meaningless as explained here.

https://www.bikeforums.net/17007806-post24.html

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
There are individuals who do not know what " ...Coming Up On Your SIX... " means.

Intended ACTION --- PASSING, along with intended SIDE --- RIGHT or LEFT

I try to make my action as clear as possible with --- Passing on your LEFT or Passing on your RIGHT. On your Left is meaningless.

I have bells on my bikes and ring especially when a dog is being walked. Usually the dog hears the bell before the walker and reacts then followed by owner/walker. My actions are taken whether the individual is facing me or not.
  • When passing other bikers or people on the street, always pass to their left side, and call out "On your left!" so they know that you are coming.
https://kidshealth.org/en/kids/bike-safety.html

Pass others on their left. Say "on your left" to warn others that you are passing.
Cycling Etiquette ? BCI -- Bicycle Club of Irvine
Old 10-30-21, 08:04 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Bell did not work for me. Too many have Head Phones.
I just Pass and can us my Horn if needed.
The Blue One on my Right Bar.

Old 10-30-21, 09:39 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,188 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Is that you, Jonathan Richman?
Had to look that one up. I have a friend who is fairly successful that said his favorite venture was as the Good Humor man.
Old 10-30-21, 10:40 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Do you honk every time you overtake another car in your car? Of course not, that'd be preposterous. You overtake if you can do it safely, and brake if you can't.

I see zero reasons for cyclists to go ding every time they overtake another bicycle, car or whatnot. If the situation is dicey, I brake.

I carried a bell for quite a while until I realized my hands went to the brakes whenever in any doubt and the bell went unused.
Conversely, I never had a bell on my bike, until they finished the bike path through the valley here and I started riding it regularly with my family. I ring the bell all the time there passing other path users (slower cyclists, walkers, skaters, whatever). If I let other users know I'm coming, they can adjust accordingly, and I might have to brake less. Which is a serious consideration on a 40lb cargo bike with twin 1st graders on board.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 10-30-21, 11:25 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
What is the one on the left?
Old 10-31-21, 12:09 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
O M G !
I've been having dreams of mounting a mini-RPG on my bars, for that special need in clearing metal behemoths from the danger zone...
Glad I'm not the only free thinker... LOL!
How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie
very enjoyable thread... Thx
Ride On
Yuri - The epiphany comes when there is realization that 'People' are just very, very large squirrels...
Old 10-31-21, 06:46 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
A mile or two from the congested access points on the trail, it's mostly serious walkers or runners that hold their line. I often just click my brake levers a couple of times, pulling halfway and releasing -- it's a moderately loud mechanical click.

~~~
If you are a professionally trained musician, this seems effective

Likes For rm -rf:
Old 10-31-21, 06:47 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Years ago I took a MUP that paralleled a main road for a few blocks to avoid too fast traffic. Had to overtake some pedestrians, slowed down, called out "bike passing on the left," as I went by I heard "hey do you know where ..." so I stopped to earn some good karma. The lady asked me what I said before I passed, so apparently "bike passing on the left" is meaningless.
She heard you, apparently. So, the "on your left" worked sufficiently to make her aware of you presence. Did it work perfectly? Maybe not but it worked better (it seems) than doing nothing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.