Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Brake pads for 27.5mm wide rims

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-22, 05:32 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts

will be fitting my new wheels soon but need to get some brake pads, what carbon brake pads are you guys using? I have been looking at the Swisstop Flash Pro Black Prince and the Flash Evo, the only difference from what I can see are the Evo are 0.75mm narrower than the Pros, would I need to get the Evo due to the width of my rims or could I get away with using the Pros? Silly question, does that mean the Evos will wear faster? if thats the case at £40 a set I would like to use the Pros if I could get away with it!
Any other recommendations for good carbon pads appreciated.
Old 02-25-22, 11:26 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by sw20
will be fitting my new wheels soon but need to get some brake pads, what carbon brake pads are you guys using?
I am in a similar situation. I just received my new CF wheels and have ordered an additional set of brake pads (Flash Pro Yellow King) for them.

I have been looking at the Swisstop Flash Pro Black Prince and the Flash Evo, the only difference from what I can see are the Evo are 0.75mm narrower than the Pros, would I need to get the Evo due to the width of my rims or could I get away with using the Pros?
It depends how wide your brake calipers can open while leaving a 1.5 mm to 2 mm gap between the brake pad and the rim on either side of the wheel. Does your new wheelset not come with a set of brake pads? Would measuring those not suggest the right size?

Silly question, does that mean the Evos will wear faster? if thats the case at £40 a set I would like to use the Pros if I could get away with it!
Theoretically, the two models you are looking at have the same braking material, which would wear at the same rate, and the thinner model (EVO) has less material, and thus should wear out faster. However, there does not seem to be a wear limit mark on the EVO pad shown on SwissStop's website.
Old 02-25-22, 09:57 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
What calipers are you using? Newer shimano calipers can handle 28mm rims with no issues, even with a full size pad. I personally use 30mm rims and that's only an issue until the edges of the pad wear a bit.
Old 02-26-22, 09:21 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Not ideal but long ago on a bike I no longer owned removed the toe washer on both sides and just sanded down a plastic washer to toe angle desired very thin. Gained a few mm.
Old 02-26-22, 12:46 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by smashndash
What calipers are you using? Newer shimano calipers can handle 28mm rims with no issues, even with a full size pad. I personally use 30mm rims and that's only an issue until the edges of the pad wear a bit.
What is "newer"? Starting with 11 speed? I suppose I should be glad that my new CF wheels are 26 mm wide (according to specs) at the brake track.
Old 02-26-22, 12:47 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
What is "newer"? Starting with 11 speed? I suppose I should be glad that my new CF wheels are 26 mm wide (according to specs) at the brake track.
good question. Yes, I think anything with a the symmetrical dual pivot, which was introduced with 11 speed, can handle 28mm. But you can also look it up on their spec page. They list it.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 02-26-22, 12:53 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by smashndash
good question. Yes, I think anything with a the symmetrical dual pivot, which was introduced with 11 speed, can handle 28mm. But you can also look it up on their spec page. They list it.
You are right! On Shimano Dealer Manual for BR-9000/6800/5800 (DM-BR-0003-08-ENG.pdf), p. 13, maximum carbon rim width is listed at 28 mm, and specifies a different brake shoe R55C4-1 for rim widths 24 mm to 28 mm.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-27-22, 02:28 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks guys, Evos it is then.