Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are quick links REALLY single use?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Are quick links REALLY single use?

Old 08-22-22, 02:25 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts

Not any more...

I have reused Quick Links for many years without problems. My chains are SRAM 6-8 and KMC 8 speeds. But just last year I have had two disintegrate. One at removal, and the other at application. I really have no idea how many times I had reapplied them or of thier manufacture.

I bought some ChiCom knock off links and some brand name brand links and sure enough, even under close comparison with calipers and destructive pliers, I could not elicit a difference. So now I am just replacing them about every third application or sooner.

I buy them eight pair at a time. Inspect and clean them, then spray them with white paint. It's no biggy...

Note that if you have, and are proficient, with a quality chain breaker, then you don't need Quick Links.

Last edited by zandoval; 08-23-22 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 03:01 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Yes, I used quicks occasionally back then. And I use them occasionally now. But I don’t see much difference (“improvement”) in the ones from yesteryear, and the ones of today. So I ask again…what has changed?
Dan, in your first post you alleged that quicklinks were "substandard" without citing why. They weren't then, they aren't now, there's no need to show an "improvement."

What changes have improved the individual quick link? Quality of the metal used? Closer machining tolerances? Ease of use (although that doesn’t seem to have changed)?
Well yes it has. The Wippermann Connex link makes connecting and disconnecting the chain easy, as seen in this :35 video
Might you weep with joy? Probably not.

Or have attitudes about their use changed?
I suppose, Yes, because they work so well. And now I will remove myself from your lawn.

Last edited by BCDrums; 08-22-22 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 03:14 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Dan, in your first post you alleged that quicklinks were "substandard" without citing why. They weren't then, they aren't now, there's no need to show an "improvement."

Sorry. Clarification — Them being substandard isn’t necessarily how I felt about them, but rather the general attitude toward their quality, and using them.

Dan
Old 08-23-22, 06:03 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
KMC indicates reusability in the part number of their quick links (Missing Links, to use KMC's trade name): https://www.kmcchain.com/en/teach/missinglink

Even for the reusable ones, they recommend replacing it after 3-5 "uses" (which I presume to mean couple-decouple events). I personally use them until they clearly have worn to the point where they're very easy to decouple...and even then...they go into a small baggie in my spares case that I carry with me for emergency use on the road or trail.
Old 08-23-22, 08:28 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
I initially struggled to feel confident with the links but have come to trust them given that:

1) I use a tool that allows me to replace them without damaging them.

2) I take considerable care in replacing the links.

3) As mentioned above, I always note whether or not the links effectively click into place. So far, they always do.

4) I don't do much cross chaining.

As a structural engineer, I can't help wondering about possible failure modes with the links. I've seen none but my intuition leads me to suspect that it would be one of the following:

5) If the mechanism that clicks the links into place were worn, perhaps the links would come undone under a slack chain or during cross chaining.

6) If the replacement was done as a clumsy affair, perhaps the links would get bent in an unfavorable way. Were this to come to pass, I would expect to hear a pretty noisy chain.

It's tempting to speculate that the pins might shear off from repeated link installation but, given the stresses that those same pins deal with successfully in service, this seems unlikely to me.
Old 08-23-22, 09:15 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
As a structural engineer, I can't help wondering about possible failure modes with the links. I've seen none but my intuition leads me to suspect that it would be one of the following:
5) If the mechanism that clicks the links into place were worn, perhaps the links would come undone under a slack chain or during cross chaining.
6) If the replacement was done as a clumsy affair, perhaps the links would get bent in an unfavorable way. Were this to come to pass, I would expect to hear a pretty noisy chain.
It's tempting to speculate that the pins might shear off from repeated link installation but, given the stresses that those same pins deal with successfully in service, this seems unlikely to me.
All good points but in practice these have not been a concern, well except clumsy installation, which is what I've seen as the biggest source of failure. #5 could be a concern but usually we're talking about well over 30 remove/replace before that's an issue. Pins shearing off at the groove is something I have never heard mentioned anywhere in the 30 yrs or so that the QL's have been on the market. Cross chaining has also not been an issue as many tourers using triples and having a total weight of over 300 lbs (bike/rider/gear) have not had any more failures than traditional master links. Lots of cheap generic QL's on Ebay, Amazon, etc., but I would stick with the main brands for known quality.
Old 08-26-22, 10:21 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Search is a wonderful thing. I don't mean to but am probably a jerk for pointing this out, but this quiestion has been asked several times per year since it first became a question in the era of 10 speed chains. No new information has been added since, and it's easy to explore.

Bike Forums - Search Results
Old 08-27-22, 03:17 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
Quick links are described as “use only once” in the user/installation documentation.

is that just super cautious input from the manufacturer or truly a smart practice?

I have reused them before but, hey, maybe I was tempting fate.
Great question. I have often wondered that myself. Glad to see some input from the hivemind on this subject.
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 08-27-22, 08:03 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Wippermann Connex links don't "click" together -- a curved slot and chain tension keep them from coming apart. It was surprising to me how they were designed! They worked great on my 10 speed Campagnolo chains.

The 11 speed Shimano Connex versions were extremely expensive back in 2014, so I switched to Sram links, and disassembled them and reinstalled with no problems.

Now chains come with quick links instead of a pin. That's way better for us amateur mechanics. No technical pin install or expensive peening chain tools needed.
Old 08-29-22, 10:56 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Why does anyone think that the pressed in Shimano method was better than a quick link? Much, much greater chance of doing it improperly, imho.
Old 08-30-22, 06:59 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Many chains have no other option and I believe that's true with all 12 speed chains. I just bought some reusable YBN 12 speed links that should work with any 12 speed chain. I'm on SRAM 12 speed and reuse their links for the life of a chain.