Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where do you park your bike when buying food/water?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-12-19, 08:44 PM
richard.susanto

Bikes: Canyon Grail CF SL Disc 8.0, Canyon Endurace CF SLX Disc 8.0 ETAP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

On a long solo ride, I'm wondering what everyone has done to keep their bike safe when buying food/water in a cafe or gas station?

I live in the suburb of Chicago but I ride my bike in the rural area, passing small towns and gas stations along the way, sometimes even Starbucks/McDonalds.

Many thanks for the input.
Richard
Old 08-12-19, 08:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Depends on the situation and layout of the building, but most times I just wheel it inside. In all my miles, I've had just one place raise a stink about it, a CVS pharmacy. Which I have not set foot inside since.

Starbucks are a personal favorite-- most of them have outdoor seating, I just park in there and go get my vanilla milk.
Old 08-12-19, 09:03 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
The bike comes inside with me. I don’t ask if they have a problem with it, and only one store employee ever questioned me about it.

FTR, the manager quickly told the employee “he’s good”.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-12-19, 09:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I try not to. If I didn't bring enough water, there are fountains. I don't ride long enough to need to eat before I get home.

But that's not always possible. There's a Starbucks on one of my routes - mediocre coffee, but frequented by cyclists, there are always 10 people in kit sitting around outside. Bikes don't get stolen there. There are a few Indian restaurants with outdoor seating, they let me lean the bike against my table. This is only an option at the end of a ride. The last time I went into a convenience store, I took the bike in, and the guy wanted to know what my Garmin was. He went in back and hot his wife and pointed at my bike, telling her it has satellite navigation. I thought I wouldn't be allowed in with it, it was a good experience.
Old 08-13-19, 02:42 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
A Japanese restaurant let me wheel my bike inside once as I was starving and wanted to eat. Never a word said, even as they got crowded a little later. Pizza joint also let me wheel inside, and a juice place.
Old 08-13-19, 05:14 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I carry a lock and lock it where ever it is convenient - usually right in front of the store if there is not a bike rack provided. The lock I carry is a "keep the honest people honest" lock and so far (decades) never had a bike stolen that I had locked up.

Never brought the bike into a store, though there have been times when I wasn't planning on stopping, didn't have the lock with me and nature called - I have rolled it into restrooms.
Old 08-13-19, 06:39 AM
richard.susanto

Bikes: Canyon Grail CF SL Disc 8.0, Canyon Endurace CF SLX Disc 8.0 ETAP

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
This is awesome. It looks like bringing my back inside is the best thing to do. Where I'm going this weekend will be a 75 miles bike ride in rural Illinois (mostly farmland). There are a couple of small general stores that I'm planning to visit to restock on water.
Old 08-13-19, 06:46 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I don't when alone. I carry enough food for the entire trip and will stow a 3rd bottle in a jersey pocket. You often can't get in "great riding" if you're always confined to being within stopping distance of a rest stop.

This is usually good for up to a 100k distance. Century? I'll loop the route by a park with a known water fountain and I carry my drink mix in a plastic sandwich baggie.

Most times, the only stoppage time on a metric is to wait at a traffic light or intersection. Eat on the move, maybe unwrap it and start eating at the light.

With a group? You've got a group and always someone to watch bikes while another orders a coffee.
Old 08-13-19, 07:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Usually within eyesight, but not always. If I am touring in rural places I don't worry much about theft. Even I cannot lift my fully-loaded bike. Snatch a pannier and your not going to get anything of much use/re-sale value.
Old 08-13-19, 07:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by richard.susanto
This is awesome. It looks like bringing my back inside is the best thing to do. Where I'm going this weekend will be a 75 miles bike ride in rural Illinois (mostly farmland). There are a couple of small general stores that I'm planning to visit to restock on water.
I roll up to the general store, lean my bike against the front, and walk in. I dont even give a second thought to someone stealing my bike when Im out on a ride and at a Casey's or whatever convenience/gas station is around. I cant imagine wheeling my bike into a Casey's general store- it would be cumbersome, inconvenience others, and overall just be a proverbial bull in a china shop in terms of space. Buying water and a snack takes a minute or two, most of which is standing in line where you can see your bike outside.
Now if I were going to a grocery store in a small town and didnt have a lock, then sure I could see wheeling in the bike and leaving it inside near the entrance. Every time Ive gone to a grocery store when on long rides has been while touring and I instead just use a light cable lock.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-13-19, 08:13 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,815 Posts
Most people around here just leave their bikes outside the gas station/convenience store/coffee shop. I've never heard of an incident - in the suburbs or more rural surrounding areas. If I'm alone, I try to leave the bike in a place I can see from the inside, and I try to limit the time I'm inside, but it's rare that I can have visibility 100% of the time. There are, after all, quick pit stops required at times. Maybe the area is comparatively safe. Or maybe we're just being dumb and lucky.

People have their bikes stolen around here, but mostly it's in the cities, and from their houses or garages.

To those who get your water from fountains on long rides, so you don't have to go inside, I guess that means riding in places where outdoor nature breaks are also feasible.
Old 08-13-19, 08:24 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Most people around here just leave their bikes outside the gas station/convenience store/coffee shop. I've never heard of an incident - in the suburbs or more rural surrounding areas. If I'm alone, I try to leave the bike in a place I can see from the inside, and I try to limit the time I'm inside, but it's rare that I can have visibility 100% of the time. There are, after all, quick pit stops required at times. Maybe the area is comparatively safe. Or maybe we're just being dumb and lucky.

People have their bikes stolen around here, but mostly it's in the cities, and from their houses or garages.

To those who get your water from fountains on long rides, so you don't have to go inside, I guess that means riding in places where outdoor nature breaks are also feasible.
Same here. I rarely need to refill and don't ride in areas where my bike could be stolen.
Old 08-13-19, 08:31 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
There's some unassailable advice there-- don't ride long enough to need food or water, and don't live where bike theft is a risk. I've been doing it wrong this whole time.

But as moving seems like a bit of a hassle, and I don't think any superheroes have shown up to put a dent in the petty theft numbers, I'll stick with taking my bike inside establishments whenever I see fit.
Old 08-13-19, 08:58 AM
Secret Squirrel

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
+1 bring Inside.
One hand on the top tube and hand the cash/card to the clerk with your other hand.
Old 08-13-19, 08:59 AM
Seattle Forrest

Tell them "bikes get stolen" if they look at your funny. Better if you have a personal story about it. People get more understanding when they understand why.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-13-19, 09:13 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
For group rides, where it's more likely that I'll have an extended stop for food/drinks afterwards, I'll bring my Otto Lock along (and usually keep the bikes within line-of-sight). For solo rides, I'm unlikely to stop for more than a convenience store snack, in which case I'll just lean it against a wall outside, preferably with an obstacle of some sort in front of it. If I felt that I needed to bring it inside, I wouldn't hesitate to, but that's pretty rare.
Old 08-13-19, 09:18 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I've never brought a bike inside, but I've been tempted. I generally don't stop unless I'm with another rider -- in which case we take turns keeping watch over the bikes. If I'm riding a metric or shorter, I don't stop. If I ride a century, I will stop for water (with mix in my pocket) and leave the bike leaned up against the front window of the C-store where the clerk and I can see it.
Old 08-13-19, 09:45 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts

If I'm on a long solo ride, in an area i'm unfamiliar with, I carry one of these mini locks, just in case I'm forced to leave my bike unattended, even for just a couple of minutes.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-13-19, 09:49 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If I'm going to a general store out in the boons, I don't worry about. Lean it near the door (out of the way of shoppers of course) and it will be fine.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-13-19, 10:08 AM
Seattle Forrest

Out here, I wouldn't go by city vs country. There are places in Seattle where I can leave my bike unattended briefly - not very many of them mind you - and there are a lot of rural places with meth problems. And of course there are a lot of rural places where I have absolute trust. Hopefully everybody in here has some basic knowledge of the places they ride through.
Old 08-13-19, 11:32 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Depends. In 90% of the time I will bring the bike in to the store with me. I figure I have the bike under control and I'm getting in the way of other patrons. If I'm given a hard time about bringing the bike in, I will either a) prop the bike up inside the store or b) prop the bike up against the window and keep an eye on the bike for as long as I can while in the store. It pretty much never leaves my line of sight.
Old 08-13-19, 11:37 AM
Seattle Forrest

There are grocery stores that have always been good to me about bringing the bike inside. A security guard at Metropolitan Market will keep an eye on it if I leave it by the service desk. They're more expensive than other grocers, but sometimes at the end of a long ride I'm craving some specific food that I don't have all the ingredients for, and they make it easy to fix that on the way home. I've always appreciated that and give them more business than I would otherwise because of it. I told the manager all of this.
Old 08-13-19, 11:37 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
It pretty much never leaves my line of sight.
I think that pretty much defines my comfort level, and if line of site requires me to bring it in, I bring it in.
Old 08-13-19, 11:41 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
I too bring it in. I haven't had anyone push back (only been back in cycling 2 months), but if they did I'd be prepared to be politely apologetic and explain that I'm only going to be a second to get what I need and then I'm out of their hair. On some occasions at a coffee shop I frequent with outside seating, if no one's outside I bring it in with me while I order and then sit outside with the bike. If someone is outside I politely ask if they wouldn't mind keeping an eye on it while I order. I've only asked twice and both times got very friendly agreement.
Old 08-13-19, 12:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Hopefully everybody in here has some basic knowledge of the places they ride through.
Not always possible when you tour in unfamiliar places.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.