Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

What is this mystery rack/hanger for Dahon Classic

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 08-22-22, 08:24 AM
dmwill

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Steel Classic, 1993 Burley Samba Mixte tandem, 2002 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 2003 Co-Motion Speedster tandem, 2021 Trek Verve 3, 2021 Priority Current

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts

I recently acquired a stainless steel 1989 Dahon Classic which had spent it's previous life on a ship. It came with the pictured rack, but the previous owner's son did not know it's purpose. I've tried tipping and turning and poking and prodding with the bike both folded and unfolded to try and hang the rack on the bike or the bike on the rack but nothing so far has made sense. Anyone ever seen one of these and know its purpose?

Likes For dmwill:
Old 08-22-22, 10:07 AM
necx

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Beautiful
Old 08-23-22, 12:26 PM
dmwill

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Steel Classic, 1993 Burley Samba Mixte tandem, 2002 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 2003 Co-Motion Speedster tandem, 2021 Trek Verve 3, 2021 Priority Current

Turns out it is nothing to do with the bike after all, other than coexisting on the ship. It's a life ring holder like this! https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/19176...-1/s-l1000.jpg
Likes For dmwill:
Old 09-06-22, 07:13 PM
devinfan

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
With a little work that will be a great bike, my stainless is still my all time favourite bike.
Old 09-07-22, 07:40 AM
dmwill

I put new tires and tubes on it to get it rideable enough to go around the block and it's delightful. Certainly worth the next level of maintenance and repair like repacking bearings getting the shifting smoothed out a bit. I'm sure that hub could use some fresh grease or oil or whatever is in there, and the shifter mechanism is kind of crusty. The plastic chain guard and fenders are brittle and crumbled/snapped so replacing those might be a challenging third stage of restoration.