Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Winter storage for a Sturmey Archer 3 speed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-20, 11:21 AM
wmh9680

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hi, we live in Chicagoland so it's getting pretty cold out and I am storing my vintage Sears Freestyle with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub. Is there anything I should do to it and is it okay to store it in the garage or should I put it in the basement, Thanks, Mike
Old 12-13-20, 11:45 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
Whichever place it will stay the driest and cause the least spousal issues.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 12-13-20, 04:51 PM
wmh9680

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Whichever place it will stay the driest and cause the least spousal issues.
Should I have to add any oil during the winter? I try to spin the wheels every once in a while. Thanks, Mike
Old 12-13-20, 05:03 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'm up in Wisconsin. I've got three old Sturmey Archers on bikes in the family fleet, including my dedicated winter bike. The hubs need no special treatment. If I did anything, I'd apply a drop of motor oil to the thumb shifter, since those sometimes get gummed up over time. Come spring, oil, and go.

One hub was my mom's, and spent every winter outside in the shed for decades. One was on a severely rusted bike, so it probably spent winters outdoors. Both were in fine shape when I lubed them and put them back in service.

People will talk about what kind of oil to use -- any light mineral oil will be fine, including motor oil. The only oil I've ever heard not to use is 3-in-1, which contains vegetable oil, and can polymerize over time. The oil filler cap can get a little bit delicate with age, and you don't want to lose it. One of my hubs has no filler cap, and I just glued a thin patch of sheet metal over the filler hole with JB Weld. You can easily oil the hub by drizzling the oil down the hollow axle.
Old 12-13-20, 05:56 PM
wmh9680

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks everyone, we love this bike, I just wish it had bigger tires. We rode it about 600+ miles last aug-sept-oct after I refurbished it and got it shifting . Thanks again, Mike
Likes For wmh9680: