Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Electrifying my Boda Boda.

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 01-28-23, 12:29 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts

This will be an ongoing build thread where I’ll post pictures of the project along the way as well as asking questions about the build as they arise.

Everything I think I probably need has been ordered. Depending upon a few components, I expect next weekend to be when I really light this thread up.

So what I’ve got here is a Yuba Boda Boda that fits my 4’9” wife but is adjustable enough that I can ride it. This is a bit of a unicorn, since almost every cargo bike is for someone 5’ or taller. Having a bike that fits helps me justify the project.

On order

- Bafang 500w rear wheel and 48v 17.5a battery with all the related parts to get it together.

- Set of Magura HS11 hydro rim brakes

- 2x brake booster arch.

- Yuba dual leg kickstand, the current kickstand is pretty unstable and this bike is only going to get heavier.

Still shopping for.

- A hardened bike lock chain that’s not as heavy and thick as the Kryptonite Fuggetaboutit.

- Some sort of dense rubber/foam pad to replace the Yuba pad that is now too short after my rear platform replacement.

So far I’ve replaced the rear platform to allow me to use more of the kid cage. It was an easy project but the only stain I had in the garage is darker than the steps. I like how it turned out.

You can see my Shimano dynamo front hub. It currently powers a front and rear light, and is supposed to slow me down 3 minutes per hour. Possibly I’ll set it up to charge a phone but probably won’t.

I’ll update again once more stuff rolls in.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 01-29-23, 09:11 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
Is the battery pack & controller going to fit under the cargo/seating area? or maybe between the seat tube & rear fender?
I hope there is enough control cables & hydraulic brake hose come long enough from the kits you ordered.

With my cargo ebike parking in NYC metro, I usually forego the heavy, bulky locks.
I take the seat & battery pack with me when I leave the bike,
just a simple, short cable lock around the wheel or just take off the front wheel and lock it to the rear wheel for extended amount of time parking.
Large size cargo bikes are not easy to steal, nor transport; even for thieves.

Two-legged centerstand would be ideal for top heavy cargo bikes, just make sure your frame has enough support once the centerstand is deployed, especially to support the additional weight of motor/battery/cargo.
Old 01-29-23, 11:22 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Yeah, for the security, I did think about just a lightweight lock.

Trouble is, I’m pretty sure that the kits do not come with a key fob. My neighbor has one that will not work if he doesn’t have the fob on him. Almost certain that mine will be functional if stolen. It should come with a locking battery though. And I think I’ll have room to spare under the cargo platform. Though it may require a certain level of creativity once it’s in my hands.

For weight, I am not terribly concerned. I ordered the Yuba kickstand that specifically all rear cargo Yuba’s. It definitely cost more than the Amazon ones but looks so much more stable.

Brake hose length. Well, a chop and a bleed is in the cards no matter how you look at it. Just another mystery that’ll be solved soon.
Old 01-31-23, 09:54 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Parts have mostly showed up early.

Just waiting on the brakes and torque arms.

But am I?

The kit came with the washers in the picture. This would prevent the axle from spinning. Is it robust enough or should I use the type that clamp along the frame?

This is more svelte. Is there a chance of this levering open my dropouts and damaging my frame?

Other interesting tidbits.

The wheel came with a brake track, so no concern about disc vs rim brakes. I’ll pull the rim strip and deburr the eyelets, then replace with a Velox. It’s pretty obvious that metal edges are underneath and will eventually lead to flats.

My truing stand is at my house, and I’ve been working as a travel nurse for the last couple years, so I’ll just spot true it in the frame.

The kit came with both the brake levers and the sensors to stick on hydo’s. I’ll be using Magura so this will work.

The battery is a tiny bit bigger than anticipated. Sideways, I can fit it under the seat. I may reconfigure how the fender runs to get a bit more space. I’m not seeing a way to make it quick release but it will be simple enough to remove if I take the wheel off.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 01-31-23, 10:06 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
Let the fun begin.
Old 01-31-23, 09:28 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Lots of fun indeed.

After some hemming and hawing, I decided that the battery should go on the downtube. This required a trip to the store for an aluminum plate, long M5 bolts, tons of washers, hose clamps, and some locktite. A little back and forth got it

The wheel is a funny little piece. I had to deburr every spoke hole and retaped it. The cassette was not a problem.

Then it’s time to put it on the bike. Turns out those tabbed washers are torque arms and spacers. They go inside the dropouts with a few other spacers in whatever combination keeps the chain from hitting the dropouts in high gear. This bit of trial and error is way easier said than done.

I will need longer bolts to mount the control box. It’s going to fit great on the seat tube but that’s going to be another trip to Lowes.

It occurred to me today that this bike runs constant lights with the dynamo. Is it possible to just not plug the included lights in? Just that much less clutter and cables?

Along the same lines, I really don’t have any desire for the throttle. I’d like to set a power level from the handlebar mount and just use pedal assist.

I think I’m skiing tomorrow, hopefully I can get to it agin by the weekend.
Old 02-03-23, 06:49 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

It’s cold and windy, so I spent the day in the garage.

Two more trips to the hardware store. One for a foam pad and a couple longer bolts. Another for a single 8mm wrench to allow me to get the Magura’s hose shortened.

Overall no major surprises. I was able to route cables every which way. So that was fun. Nothing is rubbing.

I haven’t worked on Magura rim brakes since the 90’s. They’re a little better now but for ease of adjustment, I definitely see why discs won the war. They stop amazingly well though.

Its a giant PITA to install or remove the battery in that position with those curves. Hopefully that is added security from thieves.

Ill probably epoxy the magnet sensors onto the brake levers. If one were to fall off I’d lose power.

The throttle is meant for the right but that’s where my shifter is. It’s on the left and is fine, but the wires are a little awkward. If I switched to a thumb shifter, I could fit it all on the right. Of course it’s so powerful, I don’t know him much I’ll shift.

And for the test ride, even though I didn’t want to be outside. Holy cow it’s FAST!!!

I can easily hit 25 on my short street.

I have no concerns about this thing’s ability to carry my kids anywhere in this town. Hopefully I’ll get some warmer weather soon to give it a proper shakedown.
Likes For rosefarts: