Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommend disc brakes that are compatible with disc cable brake lever?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Recommend disc brakes that are compatible with disc cable brake lever?

Old 02-02-23, 03:13 AM
hkckoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Whoever wrote that "drill down" had no idea what they're on about. Your BB7 isn't broken; it really is a single-piston caliper that acts on one pad with the other being stationary (and adjustable.) If you want double-action mechanical calipers, get quality ones such as the TRP (Spyke if your levers are short-pull) or the more obscure - and slightly pricier - Origin8 Vise II (of which there are two versions, R and M.)
so what exactly is a difference between the TRP spyke and spyre models?
Old 02-02-23, 03:27 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by hkckoo
so what exactly is a difference between the TRP spyke and spyre models?
Spyke is for long-pull MTB brake levers. Spyre is for (most) road bike/drop-bar brake levers/brifters - which are short-pull (except a few Rivebdell and Tektro levers, which are long-pull) and the few short-pull MTB levers that may still exist. The same applies to Origin8's Vise II calipers (M vs. R.) So, make sure you get the one that's right for your brake lever.
Old 02-02-23, 03:31 AM
hkckoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Spyke is for long-pull MTB brake levers. Spyre is for (most) road bike/drop-bar brake levers/brifters - which are short-pull (except a few Rivebdell and Tektro levers, which are long-pull) and the few short-pull MTB levers that may still exist. The same applies to Origin8's Vise II calipers (M vs. R.) So, make sure you get the one that's right for your brake lever.
I am not really sure if my levers are short or long, those levers are like 30 years old.
https://bikerecyclery.com/nos-suntou...-xc10-xc-9000/
Suntour XC PowerBrake Lever NOS
it is a four finger long liver, I guess they are long?
Old 02-02-23, 03:40 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by hkckoo
I am not really sure if my levers are short or long, those levers are like 30 years old.
https://bikerecyclery.com/nos-suntou...-xc10-xc-9000/
Suntour XC PowerBrake Lever NOS
it is a four finger long liver, I guess they are long?
Measure the distance - CENTER TO CENTER - from the blade's pivot point to the cable anchor point:

If it's in the 20mm range, you've got short pull levers (and given their age, chances are they might be short-pull.) If they're in the 30mm range (which I doubt, just looking at the picture, ) you're looking at long-pull levers.

The length of the blade (or how many of your fingers you can put on it) is irrelevant.
Old 02-02-23, 07:04 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Summary: We think you have short pull brake levers. Short pull levers work on either road brake calipers or cantilever brake calipers. Long pull levers were introduced to work with linear pull brakes (v-brakes) which require more cable pull. Long-pull is the norm for off-road these days. So your levers should work with mechanical disc brakes meant for road. BB7 has a road version, and Spyre is a road version. Spyke is the long-pull version of Spyre.

BB7 is a single-actuator caliper; and it only moves the outer pad. It works by deflecting the rotor into the inner pad. Proper adjustment involves adjusting the inner pad as close to the rotor as you can get without rubbing. That's an adjustment that Spyke/Spyre don't need. Both will stop you fine, but BB7 will be a little 'fiddy-er'.
Old 03-18-23, 12:23 PM
hkckoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ok, so i ordered TRP spyre. the short pull version and the suntour lever is a long pull one it seems, 30mm distance from pivot point to where the cable head starts. when I pull the brake lever, the caliper moves and clamps the rotor, but doesnt return to its original position. when i pull the caliper with my hands, it returns back freely to original position. not when i pull the lever. how much am I in a bind here? please do not tell me that I need to replace spyre with spyke :X
Old 03-18-23, 12:24 PM
hkckoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Summary: We think you have short pull brake levers. Short pull levers work on either road brake calipers or cantilever brake calipers. Long pull levers were introduced to work with linear pull brakes (v-brakes) which require more cable pull. Long-pull is the norm for off-road these days. So your levers should work with mechanical disc brakes meant for road. BB7 has a road version, and Spyre is a road version. Spyke is the long-pull version of Spyre.

BB7 is a single-actuator caliper; and it only moves the outer pad. It works by deflecting the rotor into the inner pad. Proper adjustment involves adjusting the inner pad as close to the rotor as you can get without rubbing. That's an adjustment that Spyke/Spyre don't need. Both will stop you fine, but BB7 will be a little 'fiddy-er'.
ok, so i ordered TRP spyre. the short pull version and the suntour lever is a long pull one it seems, 30mm distance from pivot point to where the cable head starts. when I pull the brake lever, the caliper moves and clamps the rotor, but doesnt return to its original position. when i pull the caliper with my hands, it returns back freely to original position. not when i pull the lever. how much am I in a bind here? please do not tell me that I need to replace spyre with spyke :X
Old 03-20-23, 10:41 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Try lubricating the brake cables with something like Boeshield. Maybe there is excessive friction between the cable and the housing?

Is braking power sufficient with these levers/calipers?