Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Evolution of the Humble Steering Tube Plug

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Evolution of the Humble Steering Tube Plug

Old 03-21-23, 05:11 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
If I understand you correctly, you have filled the entire internal volume at the top of your steerer down to the bottom of the stem clamp with epoxy and embedded a star nut (with its OD ground down) at the bottom of this epoxy cylinder, which is supported by a rubber plug. Do you then drill a hole through the axis of this epoxy cylinder so that you can thread a top cover bolt through the embedded star nut? How to set preload?
I screw a bolt that is covered with a plastic drinking straw or heat shrink tubing, into the star nut, before filling with epoxy. I slather the star nut first, insert the bolt and star nut, the add more to fill completely.

Preload is no different than an expanding plug. The top cap can't bottom out on the epoxy. I've had to use a countersink bit to add a bit of clearance.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 03-21-23, 08:05 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,456 Times in 949 Posts
It is worth noting that no matter what sort of glue-in system you use (including the factory Cervelo alloy tubes), that you MUST let the epoxy cure with the stem loose. The clamping force does shrink the inner and outer diameter of the steerer tube, and when you loosen the stem bolts the steerer will expand and break the bond.

I experienced this with my first homemade plug and then saw it later when I started working in a Cervelo shop.

If you are doing the DaveSSS method, another approach is to use a long bolt with cap, grease the threads and screw it into the trimmed down starnut. Put the foam in the steerer, pour some epoxy, then insert the starnut assembly and pour the rest of the epoxy around the bolt with the cap held high. When you're you're several MM from the top, stop pouring an lower the also greased cap to the steerer to keep the bolt centered. When cured, the greased bolt is simply unscrewed from the starnut and the epoxy that formed threads around it. The threads in the epoxy aren't strong, but they don't need to be. The starnut will to do the work. You could add sawdust, chopped carbon, cotton or the like to the last epoxy poured if you want to decrease the weight.

Remember to sand and degrease the inside of the steerer to start.
Old 03-22-23, 07:19 AM
DaveSSS 

It's easiest to do the epoxy plug during the initial build, before integrated bars and brake hoses are all in, but I just did it with the stem on, but of course loosened up. I masked off the stem, but its still hard to keep JB Weld epoxy off the top of the steering tube and the 1mm of exposed stem ID. I like to mask off the bolt so it drops right in, down to the star nut. For a 40mm depth, I mix about 35 grams of epoxy and don't use it all.

The bike also needs to be propped up so the steered is plumb.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 03-22-23, 10:14 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
You can always go with one of these: https://www.fairwheelbikes.com/extra...nder-plug.html
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-22-23, 10:18 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
In my experience the cap itself helps prevent creep of the stem that is tightened to only 5nm. It probably shouldn't work that way, but they do.

I’ve had mixed expereince with this. My mtb has the expander and top bolt completely removed, to facilitate the di2 wiring. That headset has never come loose.

We had a co-motion however that used an expoxied in sleeve in the steerer tube. That headset would never stay tight. Turned out the glue had failed, re glued and the headset stayed tight. So on that bike at least the top bolt was helping to keep the right load on the headset.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-22-23, 05:13 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I’ve had mixed expereince with this. My mtb has the expander and top bolt completely removed, to facilitate the di2 wiring. That headset has never come loose.

We had a co-motion however that used an epoxied in sleeve in the steerer tube. That headset would never stay tight. Turned out the glue had failed, re glued and the headset stayed tight. So on that bike at least the top bolt was helping to keep the right load on the headset.
Assuming your MTB has a carbon steerer, I wonder if the current short stems make the forces neutral, while road bars and stems act as levers, inching up the steerer.

Last edited by Kontact; 03-22-23 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-24-23, 09:16 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I have a picture from several years ago in my album, but I can't figure out how to add it to a post.
This one?

Likes For retswerb:
Old 03-25-23, 07:01 AM
DaveSSS 

That's my picture. I used a countersink bit to add clearance for the top cap. This one probably used core foam to plug the steering tube and a 6mm thread insert that's normally used to add threads to wood, rather than a star nut. It's more difficult to get centered.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 03-25-23, 10:04 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
That's my picture. I used a countersink bit to add clearance for the top cap. This one probably used core foam to plug the steering tube and a 6mm thread insert that's normally used to add threads to wood, rather than a star nut. It's more difficult to get centered.
To each his own, but that seems to be a rather elaborate and labor intensive solution to provide something as simple as bearing preload.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-25-23, 02:43 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
To each his own, but that seems to be a rather elaborate and labor intensive solution to provide something as simple as bearing preload.
Yes, it appears to be a somewhat labor intensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-25-23, 02:58 PM
DaveSSS 

There are people who have cracked the top of a steering tube, hence the suggestion to use a 5mm spacer and extend the steerer 2-3mm above the stem. There are also those who worry about over tightening the expanding plug, or leaving it too loose and slipping. The newest plugs sit on top of the steerer and force the use of a spacer on top. I like no spacer above the stem. This solves all of those problems. It might take 30 minutes to do, but I find it worthwhile. To each his own.

​​​​​​
​​
Old 03-25-23, 04:04 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yes, it appears to be a somewhat labor intensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
It never can get loose and it can be lighter.

Not much labor. And it's cheap. The quick and dirty version would take 10 minutes to execute if you know what you're doing.
Old 03-25-23, 10:08 PM
tomato coupe

Not much labor. And it's cheap. The quick and dirty version would take 10 minutes to execute if you know what you're doing.
A bog-standard Wolf Tooth compression plug costs $15 and weighs 26 g. A plug of epoxy with the same dimensions weighs about 16 g, not including a threaded insert or star nut. Not much of a weight or cost savings, if any ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-26-23, 08:08 AM
DaveSSS 

I don't do this to save weight. I've used this same technique to extend the length of a steering tube by 10-15mm. 20mm would be stretching it. All you do is use a no-stop copper tube coupling, for 1 inch pipe that has an ID of 1-1/8. Lightly grease the ID of the coupling, slide it over the steering tube and tape it so it doesn't slide down. Fill with JB Weld epoxy and allow to cure.

I did this only once on a LOOK KG461. I rode it many thousands of miles with no problems.

Now you have fuel for more whining.
Old 03-26-23, 08:33 AM
tomato coupe

I don't do this to save weight. I've used this same technique to extend the length of a steering tube by 10-15mm. 20mm would be stretching it. All you do is use a no-stop copper tube coupling, for 1 inch pipe that has an ID of 1-1/8. Lightly grease the ID of the coupling, slide it over the steering tube and tape it so it doesn't slide down. Fill with JB Weld epoxy and allow to cure.

I did this only once on a LOOK KG461. I rode it many thousands of miles with no problems.

Now you have fuel for more whining.
So, you used it once to extend the length. Why did you do it all the other times?
Old 03-26-23, 09:06 AM
Kontact

A bog-standard Wolf Tooth compression plug costs $15 and weighs 26 g. A plug of epoxy with the same dimensions weighs about 16 g, not including a threaded insert or star nut. Not much of a weight or cost savings, if any ...
The ones I did were in 1 inch steerers where there were fewer plug selections.

10 grams seems like a very small number, but that's 10 grams for free. Compare that to most of the things people put on their bikes to save weight or decrease drag and it seem like a no-brainer.

No one is suggesting everyone should glue in their plug. But no one has really made an argument for not gluing it in.
Old 03-26-23, 09:18 AM
tomato coupe

No one is suggesting everyone should glue in their plug. But no one has really made an argument for not gluing it in.
It’s not about making an argument against it, it’s simply questioning why go to the trouble when there are easier solutions.
Old 03-26-23, 09:27 AM
Kontact

It’s not about making an argument against it, it’s simply questioning why go to the trouble when there are easier solutions.
As previously stated: It is more reliable, lighter, reinforces the steerer tube, sometimes easier to source and really so little labor that calling it "labor intensive" is a bit ridiculous.

Do it, don't do it, whatever. If my headset works loose, I like knowing that I don't have guess whether the expansion plug slipped. (But it never gets loose.)
Old 03-26-23, 09:36 AM
DaveSSS 

Reasons to do it:

1. Can't be over or under tightened.
2. Won't slip.
3. No 5mm spacer above stem needed.

This has all been stated before. Short memory?
Old 03-26-23, 09:42 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
You can always go with one of these: https://www.fairwheelbikes.com/extra...nder-plug.html
I had one of those. At recommended torque the steer tube bulged just enough that the stem wouldn't install with out extra, extra loosening the fixing bolts. Then for bike build reasons (trim extra steer tube length) I removed & replaced it. On the second application it self destructed at 4-5nm of applied torque.

I can think of a few confounding factors like maybe the presence of anti-seize on the threads acting like a lubricant or maybe a questionable torque wrench or limited duty cycles, or whatever...I think the lesson here is steer tubes are thin & extra support to keep inside/outside forces balanced on the steer tube is hardly a bad idea.

I have another one that came with another headset. I don't have any plans to use it on a unsleeved carbon steerer any time soon. The bulge in the steer tube from a 5mm tall plug, to me, says that there is too much force in too small of an area. A taller plug would have the same grip at a lower pressure over a larger area. Had I not hade a component failure following instructions & using proper tools & witnessed such obvious structural stress to the steer tube, maybe I'd have more confidence.
Old 03-26-23, 10:08 AM
tomato coupe

Reasons to do it:

1. Can't be over or under tightened.
2. Won't slip.
3. No 5mm spacer above stem needed.

This has all been stated before. Short memory?
1 and 2 aren’t really an issue for compression plugs (assuming you have some minimal mechanical aptitude), so it seems you’re mainly motivated to get rid of that 5mm spacer. What is the advantage of eliminating the spacer?
Old 03-26-23, 10:37 AM
Kontact

1 and 2 aren’t really an issue for compression plugs (assuming you have some minimal mechanical aptitude), so it seems you’re mainly motivated to get rid of that 5mm spacer. What is the advantage of eliminating the spacer?
1. Aesthetics.
2. The stack limitations imposed by a previously cut steerer.
Old 03-26-23, 10:52 AM
tomato coupe

1. Aesthetics.
You can't argue with aesthetics, if that's the motivation. But, the limitations from a pre-cut steerer tube are kind of throwing spaghetti at the wall. The 5mm spacer is only needed to accommodate 3mm of steerer tube that extends above the stem. With an epoxy plug, you could make the steerer tube flush with the top of the stem, and you'd gain 3mm of stack. That's a difference very few people would even notice, and it's a very low probability scenario.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 03-26-23 at 11:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-26-23, 11:07 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
It’s not about making an argument against [epoxy-affixed compression plug], it’s simply questioning why go to the trouble when there are easier solutions.
I have one problem with any epoxy method: it's permanent.

I have an aversion to anything that can't be unbolted, removed, and replaced. Stuff happens.

Originally Posted by base2
I had one of those [ultra-light compression plugs]. At recommended torque the steer tube bulged just enough that the stem wouldn't install with out extra, extra loosening the fixing bolts.
You can see that bulging of the steering tube with the more substantial compression plugs, too. Although it may seem that steering tubes are rigid, they are flexible. Everything flexes under load.

Last edited by terrymorse; 03-26-23 at 11:21 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-26-23, 11:29 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Why don't carbon seatposts come with compression plugs? They are:
  1. about the same thickness as a steering tube,
  2. clamped more tightly with the seatpost clamp,
  3. are subjected to much more stress during use.
Well this could have something to do with the fact that a broken steerer has the potential to be much more lethal than a broken seatpost.

Originally Posted by znomit
Thats the whole point. The star nut is part of a calibration tool that is typically used a few times in the life of a bike.
BUT YOU CARRY IT UP EVERY STUPID HILL.
And they weigh soooooooooooo much.

Oh FFS, how much does an expander plug weigh?

1. Aesthetics.
Yeah, everybody is looking at my extra spacer.

Stack limitations are made for specific steerers regardless. The fork on the bike I'm currently building says no more than 35mm of spacers under the stem. So you're saying I can have more spacers under my stem with your method? I certainly wouldn't mind being higher up, but have to question the safety.

Last edited by Lombard; 03-26-23 at 12:22 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.