Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Has anyone setup a gravel for more road use ?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Has anyone setup a gravel for more road use ?

Old 01-11-23, 06:43 AM
drz400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Conman_
My CX bike “gravel bike” I have fitted 35 Michelin Power Gravel tires, but I used to have 28 road tires and it was super fast. I was thinking of trying some 32 Gatorskins maybe to use on some smooth gravel roads mixed with asphalt and see how much faster it is. Because the grab tires on wet roads are kind sketchy feeling. I wonder if the gator skins are enough protection for just smooth gravel.
I aquired a second set with 32 nobbies. Ugh on the road it wears me down. I'm in a quandary on those tires too.
Old 01-11-23, 06:49 AM
drz400

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Post #2 is my story as well.

Originally, gravel bikes were intentionally designed not to be overly-differentiated, so that they could handle all road surfaces and used in exactly the way the OP describes.

Even the more differentiated, slack-geometry gravel bikes should be fine on-road with some wide but slick low-rolling resistance (eg Rene Herse) tires.

The roads I ride here encourage me to have at least 38mm tires, as they are in such poor condition.
After reading many replies and yours ,I do need to look for a wide fast rolling tire. Within reach near me they converted old train railways to a path system a little over 50 miles and well it gets pretty mucky in some areas. I would for go the nobbies to have fast rolling. Going to look look up those Rene's, thank you.
Old 01-11-23, 06:53 AM
drz400

Originally Posted by lasauge
With a 2x drivetrain, and 40mm tires with minimal center tread, I find my gravel bike does well on pavement when I'm riding between gravel/trail sections. Unsurprisingly my average speeds drop a little compared to riding the same roads on a dedicated road racing bike, but the difference is small enough not to bother me since going fast on pavement isn't my top priority with that bike.
Nice, my cx bike is very similar and I need to get some wider tires without the nobs. I'm reading that they make wider low rolling tires and going to look for a pair.
Old 01-11-23, 06:57 AM
drz400

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm using an endurace bike, a Canyon Endurace with 700x32 Continental tires on multiple surfaces and the bike is excellent on both pavement and firm gravel. It's more efficient and faster than my Raleigh Roker Gravel bike with the same tires. However, the gravel bike is far more stable and comfortable than the Endurace on softer and more rutted gravel.
Going to have a look at those tires. In my corals are only two bikes a cx and a roadie. My cx is just better suited for on off the road. And from what I read low rolling wide tires are what I need.
Old 01-11-23, 07:01 AM
drz400

Originally Posted by Inusuit
I'm old and ride for fitness and recreation so my equipment is not as critical as it is for more advanced riders. Almost all my routes are a combination of tarmac and dirt accessible from my house. This is my compromise gravel bike. I switched out the 2.125 knobbies for 1.75 Schwalbe Land Cruisers. It rolls almost as smoothly as my Specialized Elite on pavement but is still stable on dirt roads and mild gravel trails. Haven't ridden the Elite since getting the Rockhopper set up with a shorter stem and the new tires.

At 63, I still like the drop bars. But with the new rail to trails(old train tracks turned to paths) near me I need to look for wider tires. I will have a look at those Schwalbes, thank you.
Old 01-11-23, 07:26 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by drz400
Going to have a look at those tires. In my corals are only two bikes a cx and a roadie. My cx is just better suited for on off the road. And from what I read low rolling wide tires are what I need.
See: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...000-comparison
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 01-11-23, 09:13 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 975 Posts
The Challenge Strada Bianca are fast. They’re tough to mount depending on the wheels, but after they stretch out, it’s pretty easy. Or are you looking for wide knobbies? If so- I’ve read good things about the Tufo Thundero and Speedero
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-11-23, 09:14 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I have an Aspero with a road and gravel setup. It’s got a mix of Rival/Force AXS on a 2x 46-33 chainring with a 10-36 in the back.

Rides just like my R3, so much so that I got rid of a dedicated road bike

Your Aserpo looks great and is a very similar setup to my Cannondale SuperX.

I also got rid of a dedicated road bike in 2019- with a plan to replace in 2020. I had just bought a new CX race bike (SuperX) - and was interested in buying a more endurance-oriented road bike (Canyon Endurace, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse, etc) - something that was still fast and light, but also a little more comfortable and compliant than my previous race-focused road bike - also something with disc brakes and clearance for at least 32mm tires.

The 2020 pandemic related supply chain insanity hit and I was unable to find a suitable road bike, so I just threw some 32mm GP 5000's on my SuperX and started riding road with it. Turns out, it works really well as a road bike. I got a pro fitting on it later that year that set it up pretty aggressively for road, basically matching the fit of my previous road bike. Last year I bought a set of Zipp 303s wheels that make it run even better (also those wheels work great for CX racing).

I think since doing this, I've reset my assumptions on what a "road bike" should be - for me at least. I do group road rides with a team (which sometimes get spirited), but I don't race road or crits. I mostly want a road bike that is comfortable for longer rides and still fast enough to keep up with the group, and can fit wider tires. My SuperX is not as snappy as something like a Roubaix in terms of handling, but I'm also getting older and not railing crit corners or alpine descents anymore. I rode a Specialized Roubaix for a week last summer and it's also a great bike, but when I went back to my SuperX it definitely didn't feel any slower.

I might still buy a dedicated road bike again in the future, but for now having two wheelsets and being able to run anything from 28mm -45mm tires on the same bike is working just fine. The only challenge I'm having right now is that I like 1x gearing for gravel/CX, and would prefer 2x for road. I'm making due with 1x11 GRX on road, but a future upgrade for my SuperX will probably be a wider range 1x setup (like SRAM AXS) or maybe a 2x electronic drivetrain.
Old 01-11-23, 09:20 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by msu2001la

I also got rid of a dedicated road bike in 2019- with a plan to replace in 2020. I had just bought a new CX race bike (SuperX) - and was interested in buying a more endurance-oriented road bike (Canyon Endurace, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse, etc) - something that was still fast and light, but also a little more comfortable and compliant than my previous race-focused road bike - also something with disc brakes and clearance for at least 32mm tires.

The 2020 pandemic related supply chain insanity hit and I was unable to find a suitable road bike, so I just threw some 32mm GP 5000's on my SuperX and started riding road with it. Turns out, it works really well as a road bike. I got a pro fitting on it later that year that set it up pretty aggressively for road, basically matching the fit of my previous road bike. Last year I bought a set of Zipp 303s wheels that make it run even better (also those wheels work great for CX racing).

I think since doing this, I've reset my assumptions on what a "road bike" should be - for me at least. I do group road rides with a team (which sometimes get spirited), but I don't race road or crits. I mostly want a road bike that is comfortable for longer rides and still fast enough to keep up with the group, and can fit wider tires. My SuperX is not as snappy as something like a Roubaix in terms of handling, but I'm also getting older and not railing crit corners or alpine descents anymore. I rode a Specialized Roubaix for a week last summer and it's also a great bike, but when I went back to my SuperX it definitely didn't feel any slower.

I might still buy a dedicated road bike again in the future, but for now having two wheelsets and being able to run anything from 28mm -45mm tires on the same bike is working just fine. The only challenge I'm having right now is that I like 1x gearing for gravel/CX, and would prefer 2x for road. I'm making due with 1x11 GRX on road, but a future upgrade for my SuperX will probably be a wider range 1x setup (like SRAM AXS) or maybe a 2x electronic drivetrain.

For what it’s worth, I’m really happy with my 2x SRAM setup. With a 46-33 chainring and 10-36 cassette I have a higher top end than a a shimano 50/34 chainring would get me with an 11-34 and have pretty much the same climbing gear as a 48/31 GRX with an 11-34 cassette. I’ve also yet to drop a chain.

I got this bike at the beginning of last year and called over 50 dealers to find the one I wanted in my size.

You should check out the Supersix SE. my buddy has one and it’s pretty nice, 2x SRAMRival AXS and can get up to 44mm in 700c. It’s what Ted King rides for gravel
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-11-23, 11:13 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
2x or 1x is a matter of reference I have 3 wheelset for my gravel which is mostly a mullet but the thing I don't like is being slow on tarmac.

1 wheelset is 700c with panaracer gravelking slicks (35-622), which are decently fast but not as good as a road tyre like conti gator skin, GP etc.
1 wheelset is 650b with Vittoria Barzo (52-584), XC tyres great of off road and not too slow on tarmac.
1 wheelset is 650b with Conti Race king (50-584), Dry XC tyres which are as good (if not better) off road as most of gravel tyres but they are much faster on tarmac than te gravel king. And when spending some geeky time on Bicycle Rolling Resistance, it makes sense as the RR of Race king is low 20s when the gravel king is in the mid 20s.

Dry XC tyres may have low RR which will make them comfortable and fast so OP might want to spend so time on that website to select several low roll resistance tyre they like the look of.

I recently done the same exercise on a 20" and found that swapping from Kojak to Contact Urban would save me ~10W per tyres and that was very noticeable positive change.
Thank you for the gravel tire recommendations.

I had also replaced the stock CST tires (with small knobs) on my son's 26" bike with Continental Contact Urban. It reduced noise both from the tires and from his complaints.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-11-23, 11:48 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,848 Times in 1,063 Posts
After reading many replies and yours ,I do need to look for a wide fast rolling tire. Within reach near me they converted old train railways to a path system a little over 50 miles and well it gets pretty mucky in some areas. I would for go the nobbies to have fast rolling.
Consider Continental Terra Speed if you are looking for a tire with small knobs and low rolling resistance (and relatively low weight)

I used them this past summer and fall on soft / mucky stuff to paved trails and roads - they are outstanding. They roll as well or better than some dedicated road tires.

I’ve used both the 35 and 40mm versions. The 35’s weigh less and appear to roll better - but the downside is they measure under 35mm (on my rims) and the puncture resistance is prob not great because the tire is fairly thin in the tread area. The 40’s are prob a better choice for most as they are wider / more substantial - but there is a weight penalty compared to the 35’s.

I believe there are also similar tires with small knobs that roll well - offered by Schwalbe and other manufacturers - but I’m not familiar with them.

Other tires I’ve used include 32mm Continental GP4S and Panaracer GK SS (32, 35, 38mm). Also just recently acquired a set of 35mm Continental GP Urban tires - but have not used them.
Old 01-12-23, 03:00 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts

This is my 3rd gravel bike. I have always had a road wheel set for my gravel bikes. First photo is first day I owned the bike. It came as 1x grx. I converted it 2x grx. Makes for a better dual purpose bike. If I was 95% off road I would have left it 1x.

2nd photo ( 2 road bikes, 1 gravel bike ) Gravel bike hanging out with road bikes. Next to the Canyon aero bike my bike looks kind of dated even though it's newer. lol

3rd photo crater lake with road wheel set

I owned a systemsix ( aero road bike ) and topstone ( gravel ) later giant revolt ( gravel ) at the same time. When I put the carbon wheels on my gravel bike it was close enough in speed to my aero road bike for the type of riding I do anyways I just ended up selling my aero bike.

The aero bike is 100% faster if you are trying to go fast. Aero tuck, 200+ watts, not stopping for lights, friends what ever.
My fastest pr is with the systemsix. But I don't ride in an areo tuck at 200+ watts that often vs riding with friends. regrouping with friends, stop lights etc..

I sold my systemsix. I just didn't ride it that often. People always gave me compliments on that bike and I can't remember anyone ever saying anything about any of my last three gravel bikes. ha-ha
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 01-12-23, 07:35 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 860 Times in 414 Posts
I originally built up my gravel bike with the Sensah SRX 1x11 Group. At that point I wasn't sure what I wanted on this one. After riding it this summer, I decided to redo the drivetrain to a more road group. The Sensah stuff worked, but seemed awkward to use. My usage is more road than off road, so the 35mm tires are fine as is.

Old 01-15-23, 05:31 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by sean.hwy

This is my 3rd gravel bike. I have always had a road wheel set for my gravel bikes. First photo is first day I owned the bike. It came as 1x grx. I converted it 2x grx. Makes for a better dual purpose bike. If I was 95% off road I would have left it 1x.

2nd photo ( 2 road bikes, 1 gravel bike ) Gravel bike hanging out with road bikes. Next to the Canyon aero bike my bike looks kind of dated even though it's newer. lol

3rd photo crater lake with road wheel set

I owned a systemsix ( aero road bike ) and topstone ( gravel ) later giant revolt ( gravel ) at the same time. When I put the carbon wheels on my gravel bike it was close enough in speed to my aero road bike for the type of riding I do anyways I just ended up selling my aero bike.

The aero bike is 100% faster if you are trying to go fast. Aero tuck, 200+ watts, not stopping for lights, friends what ever.
My fastest pr is with the systemsix. But I don't ride in an areo tuck at 200+ watts that often vs riding with friends. regrouping with friends, stop lights etc..

I sold my systemsix. I just didn't ride it that often. People always gave me compliments on that bike and I can't remember anyone ever saying anything about any of my last three gravel bikes. ha-ha
What’s the road tire, 35mm Gravelking?
Old 01-15-23, 06:38 AM
drz400

Originally Posted by msu2001la

I'm changing my mind on what a road bike is too. Seems like what manufactures sell as road bikes are racing bikes. Gravel or cx bikes set up for the road are the new road at least for where my travels take me. Upgrading my cx as we speak to a more road posture. Would love a new gravel, but currently out of my price range for what I want.
Likes For drz400:
Old 01-15-23, 11:45 AM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by phrantic09
What’s the road tire, 35mm Gravelking?

In the photo 32mm Gravelking. I have not tried 35mm yet. I used to run 25/28mm gp5000 but I get too many flats with those tires.
Old 01-15-23, 01:41 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

sean.hwy Very nice bike. I almost got an Ibix Hakka MX frame too but was scared off by the 31.6 mm seat post.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-15-23, 06:23 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
sean.hwy Very nice bike. I almost got an Ibix Hakka MX frame too but was scared off by the 31.6 mm seat post.
Thx

Why is that? What I love most about the Ibis ( beside being a gravel bike that takes wider tires ) is everything is standard. No unique aero seat post, headset/stem.
It has threaded bottom bracket and standard 31.6mm seat post etc.. Not an aero frame.

ooo I see you got the Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX. I almost got that one. In hindsight maybe I should have. It was expensive and a PITA to convert GRX 2x.
Old 01-15-23, 09:05 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Why is that? What I love most about the Ibis ... is everything is standard. No unique aero seat post, headset/stem.
It has threaded bottom bracket and standard 31.6mm seat post etc.. Not an aero frame.
Because I am used to a cushier seat post and I was concerned that a 31.6 mm seat post would be too stiff, especially on rougher terrain. I bought a Syntace HiFlex for my Stigmata.
Old 01-21-23, 05:53 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
For mixed gravel / pavement use, I find 38mm Barlow Pass works great. On everything from long smooth pavement rides to gravel/dirt roads, I never find myself wishing I was on a different tire. I've never found the slightest need for a second wheel-set with these tires.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-21-23, 05:58 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I'm changing my mind on what a road bike is too. Seems like what manufactures sell as road bikes are racing bikes. .
I agree 100%. What the industry calls "Road" bikes are really "Pavement Racing" bikes. IMO, "Road" should refer to general use for all roads. I think "All Road" is a good second best term (Since "Road" is already taken), and is actually a good descriptor for what many Gravel bikes are.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-21-23, 07:28 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I agree 100%. What the industry calls "Road" bikes are really "Pavement Racing" bikes. IMO, "Road" should refer to general use for all roads. I think "All Road" is a good second best term (Since "Road" is already taken), and is actually a good descriptor for what many Gravel bikes are.
The use of the term "Road" for racing bikes for paved roadways likely originated to differentiate them from track (velodrome) bikes. Maybe borrowed from Italy's "strada" versus "pista" distinction. Ironically, the bikes referred to as road racing bikes throughout the middle decades of the 20th century closely resembled current gravel bikes in most ways (e.g., wheelbase, tire size), since long-distance road racing would have taken place principally on unpaved roads---there wasn't much pavement in the regions outside most cities in Europe.

Since Italy evidently didn't have much of a tradition of other kinds of sport bike riding whereas France did, the terms for loaded-touring bikes tend to be borrowed directly from French. "Randonneur" comes to mind (also known as "audax" in Great Britain).
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-23-23, 05:34 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Since Italy evidently didn't have much of a tradition of other kinds of sport bike riding whereas France did, the terms for loaded-touring bikes tend to be borrowed directly from French. "Randonneur" comes to mind (also known as "audax" in Great Britain).
France had different names born in the early 90s:
Velo de course (Italian strada)= Road bike; very similar stuff as what Fignon rode on sealed surfaces
VTT for Velo tous terrains (All terrain bike) = Mountain Bike

And something rarely use these days: VTC for velo tous chemins (All path bike or in italian pista). In the UK it would be a by way and I believe in the US it is a dirt road.... basically for gravel use. These bikes were VTTs will lighter thinner wheels running cyclocross type tyres... basically, between cyclocross bike and MTB; does it remind you of a new type bikes that became very popular in the last 10 years?

Oh and before that, in the 60's, France had "demi course", drop bar with easier gearing, vertical and horizontal brake lever and wider slick tyres rather the "boyau" set up

Last edited by Fentuz; 01-23-23 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-02-23, 11:14 AM
letrebici

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
drz400 I am just starting to convert my Ibis Hakka, nearly the same set up as sean.hwy above, to be more road capable. You didn't mention which gravel bike you would be starting with. There are wide range of gravel bikes. 2x gearing and road tires should be easy. I have found that frame geometry does limit some combinations of chain rings/cranksets... I can't use a 2x GRX since the combos are not compatible with my frame. So I am just changing my 40t chainring to 44t and swapping the cassette to 11-46t from 11-42t. No doubt, a 2x set up would have better gear spacing but in my case I would have to change a lot to achieve a 2x set up. Tires I ride on the road now will be changed to Conti GP5000s tubeless. The current 40mm low knobby Maxxis Ramblers ride well on the road, but for a 100k Century ride I am doing in the spring, I want road tires.
Old 02-02-23, 01:40 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by letrebici
I can't use a 2x GRX since the combos are not compatible with my frame..
Who told you that???? 2x GRX will work fine. I first converted the praxis to 2x that came with the bike. Now I have 2x shimano xt m785 crankset on there.
The praxis 2x chainring is as big GRX. praxis 48/32 vs GRX 48/31. so there's room.

It was kind of a pain to covert though. Getting the left shifter in grx 810 was difficult. Replaced the rear derailleur, cassette.

Since you are local to me I will sell the praxis 2x chainrring if you don't want to have to buy a new BB if you switch to shimano.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.