Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Left hand turns from busy multi-lane streets

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-23, 01:06 PM
R.M.W.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Is there a word or a short phrase that cyclists use to describe making left hand turns from busy multi-lane streets by turning right at the cross street and then a quick U-turn to wait for the stop light? This avoids the dangers of changing several lanes from the bike lane near the gutter across heavy traffic to the left hand turn lane for cars.
Likes For R.M.W.:
Old 01-22-23, 01:12 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by R.M.W.
Is there a word or a short phrase that cyclists use to describe making left hand turns from busy multi-lane streets by turning right at the cross street and then a quick U-turn to wait for the stop light? This avoids the dangers of changing several lanes from the bike lane near the gutter across heavy traffic to the left hand turn lane for cars.
Don't know of a word to describe that. Sometimes I'll take a pedestrian route (e.g. crosswalks) to achieve those tricky left turns.
Old 01-22-23, 01:20 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
No specific term for that practice .... maybe "cycling survival"?

Making the left turn is not the issue for me as a rule ... it is trying to convince traffic that I have the right to actually cross from the bike lane/ right-hand edge to the left- or turn lane. Lots iof times drivers seem to be fine with me on the far right and seem to see me as a target anywhere else.

Well ... not always. Twice this year I had a driver pass me in the oncoming lane on a blind corner because I took the lane .... once the overtaking car missed hitting an oncoming car by about ten feet (which is really close at 40+ mph) and the other time the oncoming driver had to drive right off the road to avoid the overtaking car.

So long as it happens away from me, they are free to joust, I say.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-22-23, 01:26 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
It sounds like the word you are searching for is "illegal."
Becoming a pedestrian for a little bit and using the cross walk and light is simple, legal and safe.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 01-22-23, 02:54 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,816 Times in 1,056 Posts
Crossing to the other corner, realigning 90• and crossing was once called a “Swedish left turn”. I haven’t heard that term in decades.
Likes For tcs:
Old 01-22-23, 03:35 PM
R.M.W.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Crossing to the other corner, realigning 90• and crossing was once called a “Swedish left turn”. I haven’t heard that term in decades.
Yes! That is the term I was trying to recall! Thanks.

I guess the British would call that technique an "English right-hand turn".

Last edited by R.M.W.; 01-22-23 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-22-23, 03:40 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Jug handle?
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-22-23, 03:41 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I've used that technique many times but I never knew there was an actual name for it.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-22-23, 03:45 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
this is wear I really like my Garmin radar. it will let me know its clear s oI can get over. I don't have to constantly look in the mirror.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 01-22-23, 04:15 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,562 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by R.M.W.
Risky is the word I use.

Specifically, it is the u-turn that is risky.

A local guy got flattened a few years back doing that. He didn't notice that a car had also turned and was overtaking him. He started to make his u-turn, splat.

After making a right turn off an expressway, I was surprised by a car appearing behind me, seemingly from "out of nowhere". It had done a "go like hell" left turn on a very yellow light, so it was moving fast. Fortunately, I got the long horn blare instead of a flattening.

Last edited by terrymorse; 01-23-23 at 11:19 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-22-23, 04:26 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Depending on the street and traffic situation I also do this when it is the safest option for making a left turn.

I always thought of it as a "Jug Handle" or "Jersey Left".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jughandle
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-22-23, 04:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Suicidal

Old 01-22-23, 05:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
I've seen some of this, but mostly I see riders make a right on red without stopping, flip a U-turn, and then a right turn at the green to just keep going straight. I consider that cheating.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-22-23, 05:17 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
the u-turn part of this can be a little risky, you need to be really sure nobody is making a fast turn, or just going through the intersection fast if it changed quicker than you thought.

we used to call this a “P” turn as kids.
Old 01-22-23, 06:24 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I ride like driving a car. I make a left turn at a major intersection, but I'm riding in the left-most lane before the intersection, just like the cars. You have the right to use the road like other vehicles. Most often, I'm in a row of cars, all wanting to turn left at the light.
​​
Old 01-22-23, 06:33 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I’d call it a jug handle turn like the New Jersey way to make a left.
Old 01-22-23, 07:23 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,816 Times in 1,056 Posts
In a 'Swedish left turn' there is no u-turn or jug handle.
Old 01-22-23, 10:53 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I ride like driving a car. I make a left turn at a major intersection, but I'm riding in the left-most lane before the intersection, just like the cars. You have the right to use the road like other vehicles. Most often, I'm in a row of cars, all wanting to turn left at the light.
​​
I used to love doing this during rush-hour in downtown Columbus. I was routinely able to keep up with motor traffic and often go faster yet. That might be why they let me get away with it. Still, I had my head on a swivel, checking my mirror and looking over my shoulder, and whenever I needed to change lanes I'd always signal prominently and make eye contact with the driver I was about to merge in front of. Also, I didn't take unfair advantage of being on a bike, such as threading between lines of cars, and I think they might have appreciated that too (it also removes the chance of collecting a door prize).

Another thing I've done a few times is, whenever I was first in line in the left-turn lane on a red light, I'd turn and wave the car behind me to pull up close so they were over the sensor and would trigger the left-turn arrow for us both.

Claiming the whole lane doesn't work everywhere in all cases, of course; I'm almost never able to do that in the exurb I now live in.
Old 01-23-23, 12:14 AM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 193 Posts
I don't understand the OPs approach. Doesn't the U-Turn require crossing lanes. Of course if the cross street is much smaller and perhaps only has one lane in each direction, then there is no crossing.

I realize the OP's questions is what is this called rather than a question on best practices. But I'll chime in on that. I rarely ride where I need to cross multiple lanes with heavy traffic. So, I never have trouble moving over into left turn lanes. If I did need to, I'd probably stay right, cross, then stop and orient myself to cross again on the green, What some here are calling the "Swedish Turn". I've heard this called a "box turn".

Heck even when driving, trying to move from the far right to the left in heavy traffic is hard enough. Most of us would make the needed lane changes well in advance by taking advantage of gaps that open when the cars are at max speed between intersections. Around where I live, heavy traffic moves too fast for a cyclist to do this. When the traffic slows for a red light, it's bumper to bumper and no one in a car or on a bike is making any lane changes.
Old 01-23-23, 07:13 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
​​
This is the correct way to make a left turn. Anything else makes us look unpredictable and is unsafe.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-23-23, 09:58 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Suicidal
Nonsense. When you are on the right hand side of a busy road, you simply go onto the right side street and over to the far curb. At that point you can dismount and straighten the bike to make the crossing. Since you are either waiting for a light on the side street or waiting for a traffic gap in the main street, you'd have to stop anyway. This way of making the turn is recognized by every bike safety training program out there.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 01-23-23, 10:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
the u-turn part of this can be a little risky, you need to be really sure nobody is making a fast turn, or just going through the intersection fast if it changed quicker than you thought.

we used to call this a “P” turn as kids.

I agree with that--I think this is a mistaken probability calculation, although the particulars of a specific intersection might make it the better choice. The real problem with it as a general proposition is that there's a false premise--there's no reduction in the number of lanes being crossed by doing this maneuver, and two of those lane crossings are being done at a weird, hard to predict angle (the U turn) where you likely have a blind spot to cars turning right from the road you started on.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-23-23, 10:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Nonsense. When you are on the right hand side of a busy road, you simply go onto the right side street and over to the far curb. At that point you can dismount and straighten the bike to make the crossing. Since you are either waiting for a light on the side street or waiting for a traffic gap in the main street, you'd have to stop anyway. This way of making the turn is recognized by every bike safety training program out there.

I have never seen any "program" advocate it. I'm pretty sure the U turn would be illegal in a lot of places where the rule is we have to follow the same rules for motor vehicle operation.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-23-23, 11:11 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I've seen some of this, but mostly I see riders make a right on red without stopping, flip a U-turn, and then a right turn at the green to just keep going straight. I consider that cheating.
There's one intersection where I routinely do that when I'm the only one at the red light... it lets me continue on my way without stopping the flow of traffic on the busier street.
...But I do slow or stop as appropriate before making that right.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 01-23-23, 11:12 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
GREEN- If I am riding in the road, I will move to my left as traffic allows and then get into the left turn lane. I do what vehicles do since I am using the road like a vehicle.

RED- If I am riding on a MUP/Trail, I will turn right and pull a U turn at the stop light. This is me transitioning from not being part of traffic to being part of traffic.

Likes For mstateglfr:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.