Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you ride on roads with no dedicated bike lane?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you ride on roads with no dedicated bike lane?

Old 03-05-23, 02:23 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
I know it sounds crazy to expect motorists to follow the basic rules of the road, be attentive, and perhaps use the middle/left pedal on occasion.

Where I live, bike lanes stop and start depending on where the roads were wide enough to have them, so there's no way to go more than a couple miles with a bike and not have to do the next couple miles without one.
Old 03-05-23, 03:37 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,177 Times in 2,222 Posts
We do have a vague bike lanes, but it’s the shoulder where the junk is. 1.5 years ago I was in a bad crash on a brand new bike because VDOT decided to leave a road work sign stand with no sign in the bike lane. I never saw it, and it wasn’t there the day before. I avoid the couple of roads with a bike lane.
Old 03-05-23, 01:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 1,935 Times in 1,381 Posts
No. Roads with shoulders around here are maddeningly busy and then the shoulders disappear for bridges, thanks a lot. Some of the bridges have walkways but I'm not riding our tandem down a 2' wide walkway with steel on both sides.
Old 03-05-23, 04:40 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
The point of this thread is? The Forum is called road cycling. Some of you find riding on the road to not be an acceptable risk. Fine, but no reason to fear monger for the rest of us who do ride on the road.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 03-05-23, 07:30 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The point of this thread is? The Forum is called road cycling. Some of you find riding on the road to not be an acceptable risk. Fine, but no reason to fear monger for the rest of us who do ride on the road.
Hmm, the bike lane is still part of the road, isn't it?
Old 03-05-23, 07:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Hmm, the bike lane is still part of the road, isn't it?
I do believe the poster in question was responding to people who said they would not ride on any road without a bike lane.

I do believe the bike lane that is not there is not part of the road.

Just a clarification, there .... I am on neither side of this point. I know folks who stopped riding on the road because it only takes one stupid driver, and there is certainly more than one. No debate there .... differing strokes. I also know at least one guy who rides anywhere he wants ... but he is considered an idiot by many here.
Old 03-05-23, 07:57 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I agree with what’s a bike lane. My county we used to have barrow 12 inch shoulders on the secondary roads but VDOT has been going crazy with the rumble drunk bumps taking away the place to be a courteous bicyclist and make room. The state divided highways mostly have wide shoulders. Still the rumble drunk bumps are to the left of the white lane line taking up some of the shoulder.

I have some less traveled routes on the road but riding more of the mountain bike lately to avoid the road and make the SO worry less.

I should add one of these accessories

Less traveled roads
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 03-05-23, 08:02 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I do believe the poster in question was responding to people who said they would not ride on any road without a bike lane.
Precisely. So those people would only ride in the bike lanes of roads with bike lanes, which (at least to me) is still road cycling.

I do believe the bike lane that is not there is not part of the road.
You lost me there. Are you referring to Schrodinger's bike lane?

Just a clarification, there .... I am on neither side of this point. I know folks who stopped riding on the road because it only takes one stupid driver, and there is certainly more than one. No debate there .... differing strokes. I also know at least one guy who rides anywhere he wants ... but he is considered an idiot by many here.
Agreed; there is no universally right answer, it depends on the road and/or bike lane in question, as well as time of the day, etc.
Old 03-05-23, 08:08 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
...You lost me there. Are you referring to Schrodinger's bike lane?..
i'll admit i almost responded to the implication that the bike lane wasn't part of the road, it hadn't even occurred to me that there was a metaphysical problem here. if the road is unknown, is the status of the existence of the bike lane a known unknown!?!?

We also know there are known unknown bike lanes; that is to say we know there are some bike lanes we don't know. But there are also unknown unknown bike lanes - the ones we don't know we don't know. It is the latter category that tends to be the dificult ones.
Old 03-06-23, 11:09 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Precisely. So those people would only ride in the bike lanes of roads with bike lanes, which (at least to me) is still
ok, fine, your personal risk balance is to ride only in a bike lane. That’s your call, but I don’t need to know your personal decision, let alone a thread collecting such personal decisions

My point is what value does is added to a road cycling forum to have a thread about people, stating t their own subjective judgments that it’s unsafe to ride on most roads.

A thread with actual data about actual risks might be of some value. But a thread that is at best subject to huge self selection bias, imho, adds little to no value, almost always devolves to fear mongering, and given, numerous logical fallacies, including the self selection bias mentioned tends to paint a distorted picture of the risk of god forbid riding a bike on a road.
Old 03-06-23, 11:13 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by mschwett
i'll admit i almost responded to the implication that the bike lane wasn't part of the road, it hadn't even occurred to me that there was a metaphysical problem here. if the road is unknown, is the status of the existence of the bike lane a known unknown!?!?

We also know there are known unknown bike lanes; that is to say we know there are some bike lanes we don't know. But there are also unknown unknown bike lanes - the ones we don't know we don't know. It is the latter category that tends to be the dificult ones.
and bike lanes we know to be bike lanes but in fact are not bike lanes. It’s the known knowns that in fact are unknown that will get ya.
Old 03-06-23, 11:30 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,039 Times in 3,800 Posts
I was riding with a group of about 10 yesterday, we came upon a section of bike lane with pylons separating the bike lane from the car lane. The bike lane was filled with small rocks, broken glass, misc. trash, and what looked like the burned remains of a couple of pallets blocking pretty much the entire lane. Even if a street-sweeper happened down that street, they would never be able to sweep the bike lane because of the pylons, and cleaning up the burned debris would require a moderate amount of labor and a dumpster. We stayed in the car lane.
Old 03-06-23, 12:49 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Once i get 3-4 miles away from my house, there is a bike lane on my road. I have to take my chances for the first few miles. I love my mirror so i can see if anyone is coming before i hear them.
Old 03-06-23, 01:25 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
No bike lanes 90% of the time - I ride on shoulders (unless you consider shoulders as bike lanes).
Old 03-06-23, 01:50 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
All depends on the road for me. In town, I tend to look for bike lane streets, rurally .. I take what I can get.
Old 03-06-23, 03:58 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

ok, fine, your personal risk balance is to ride only in a bike lane. That’s your call, but I don’t need to know your personal decision, let alone a thread collecting such personal decisions

My point is what value does is added to a road cycling forum to have a thread about people, stating t their own subjective judgments that it’s unsafe to ride on most roads.

A thread with actual data about actual risks might be of some value. But a thread that is at best subject to huge self selection bias, imho, adds little to no value, almost always devolves to fear mongering, and given, numerous logical fallacies, including the self selection bias mentioned tends to paint a distorted picture of the risk of god forbid riding a bike on a road.
I understand your desire for statistically relevant data from objective, controlled A vs. B studies rather than a host of subjective opinions. If BikeForums ever becomes that I would eat (or at least vigorously chew) my old cycling helmet.
Old 03-06-23, 04:07 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Yet, how is it helpful for me to know you draw your personal risk balance at bike lanes?
Old 03-06-23, 04:46 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Yet, how is it helpful for me to know you draw your personal risk balance at bike lanes?
It is not. In fact, none of the other posts in this thread meets your criteria. Perhaps you should consider unsubscribing to this thread?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-06-23, 04:54 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

It is not. In fact, none of the other posts in this thread meets your criteria. Perhaps you should consider unsubscribing to this thread?
Valid point. I was simply trying to point out that the “wow is me, traffic is too dangerous” lobby has an outsized influence, and that it isn’t helpful for advancing Road Cycling. Please proceed with the fear mongering. I didn’t realize I’d clicked on the A&S forum.
Old 03-06-23, 05:34 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I was simply trying to point out that the “wow is me, traffic is too dangerous” lobby has an outsized influence, and that it isn’t helpful for advancing Road Cycling. Please proceed with the fear mongering.
Perhaps you overstate the influence of this thread. And how is any post in this thread fear-mongering, either individually or collectively?
Old 03-06-23, 06:06 PM
MyRedTrek

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Nothing nefarious I promise, just curiosity regarding how common it is for people to ride under circumstances similar to that shown in the OP.
Old 03-06-23, 06:22 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
Nothing nefarious I promise, just curiosity regarding how common it is for people to ride under circumstances similar to that shown in the OP.

The problem is the responses you get in this thread won’t tell you that. People who only ride in bike lanes and roads with wide shoulders will post. People who ride on a wide variety of roads won’t post. So the results will be skewed to the point of being worthless, which is where I started.
Old 03-06-23, 06:54 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
Do you ride in circumstances like this - highway with no real bike lane? There's a narrow shoulder but they're counting on motorists to avoid them. The odds of something bad happening seem really high.

I do, but the road pictured isn't ideal: one lane each way, striped for no passing, and the lane doesn't appear to be wide enough (14 feet) to share. I would think twice before planning a ride on such a road. My choice would mostly come down to how busy the road is and how far the site distance is.
Old 03-07-23, 08:26 AM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 32 Posts
Do you ride in circumstances like this - highway with no real bike lane? There's a narrow shoulder but they're counting on motorists to avoid them. The odds of something bad happening seem really high.

Yep

Eric
Likes For exercion:
Old 03-07-23, 09:27 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Yes. However, I'd be on the other side of the white lane (unless there are debris), and my taillight would be on and flashing.

When the roles are inversed (when I am driving), I will either get around the cyclist by driving in the opposite direction if there is no car coming or I will wait until it is safe to pass the cyclist. And yes, being a cyclist, I always exaggerate the distance between my car and the bike.

Last edited by eduskator; 03-07-23 at 09:32 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.