Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you ride only on sidewalks?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 11:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Apparently, some of you have not been around long enough to recognize the Bike Forums tradition of parody threads.
How does one distinguish parodies from the real thing?
Old 03-11-23, 11:41 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
How does one distinguish parodies from the real thing?
I would say that you have to recognize that something is too stupid to be real, but internet...

If you know the poster and/or saw the parodied thread, it's easier to recognize.
Likes For ummed:
Old 03-11-23, 11:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,596 Times in 2,904 Posts
Don’t know what the issue is? I rode on sidewalks for at least seven years until mom deemed me careful enough to ride in the street. That was a couple of months ago.

My take is that people driving cars have predefined expectations of where cyclists should be based upon their observation and personal experience. Since a majority of cyclists do ride on the streets, drivers don’t necessarily expect to see them on sidewalks, either when entering the road from a driveway or exiting a road to a driveway. Add to that what another poster mentioned; they don’t anticipate the speed of a grown-up on a bike on a sidewalk. Unless my life is in jeopardy due to some hazard or traffic condition, I am always on the road.

That said if there aren’t a preponderance of pedestrians or intersecting driveways across a sidewalk and road riding is dangerous or makes one uncomfortable, then do it.

Old 03-12-23, 12:28 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Old 03-12-23, 11:14 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Interesting post for the road cycling forum. And my answer is no, I do not ride on sidewalks, unless it's a very short diversion to get through a tricky spot on the ROAD.
dial up your sarcasm detector
Originally Posted by UnCruel
Well, when I do, it seems to set off my pointlessness detector.
OOPs I guess neither my pointless detector nor my sarcasm detector were sensitive enough. I'm always impressed when such clever sarcasm is used.
My dad made equally as subtle and pointless facetious comments and "jokes", but he had dementia.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-12-23 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-13-23, 04:02 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Old 03-13-23, 08:08 PM
ussprinceton

Old 03-14-23, 06:06 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by ummed
I would say that you have to recognize that something is too stupid to be real, but internet...

If you know the poster and/or saw the parodied thread, it's easier to recognize.
when I started this, the thread was adjacent to the Bike lane thread, the first post paraphrases the first post there with slightly more inflammatory language, and has a similar photograph.

In context, I thought it was pretty
obvious.

as the threads evolve, and aren’t side by side it becomes a bit less obvious.
Old 03-14-23, 06:19 AM
ussprinceton

Old 03-14-23, 06:31 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I'll occasionally ride on the sidewalk if the situation requires it and there's no better alternative; for example, when there's traffic screaming by and there's no bike lane and no shoulder and the curb is high and there are no parallelling side streets. Fortunately for me I suppose is that I usually see few if any pedestrians in these areas. Unfortunately though the sidewalks in these areas are usually in poor condition.
Old 03-14-23, 06:35 AM
ussprinceton

Old 03-14-23, 07:52 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
I try to avoid riding on roads if possible. I don't ride on sidewalks though, either mups or trails is what I prefer. I will ride roads if in a residential neighborhood with little traffic. The area in which I live is what I would call rural. The roads right outside of our development have a 45mph speed limit (so 50-55 mph is the norm), and there is no shoulder. The main roads, after out of the area, do not have bike lanes. I had enough close calls when I used to ride motorcycles, not going to push it on a bicycle!
Old 03-15-23, 07:47 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Strictly illegal in North Carolina. Says so right in the driver's manual. A bicycle is considered a vehicle in NC. Vehicles are not permitted on sidewalks. Police seem to draw the line at 16 years old, when you are old enough to get a license. Kids can ride on sidewalks and an adult can accompany them, but that's about the only exception.
Old 03-16-23, 06:57 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

A good parody thread has to walk a delicate line between being so over the top it’s to obvious, and too vailed for people to get it. And perhaps this wasn’t the best crafted paradoy in BF history, but come on people, after I’ve let the cat out of the bag several times, we’re still posting about the legality of sidewalk riding. At least read the thread before you post.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-16-23, 07:11 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
...and too vailed for people to get it...
veiled

Old 03-16-23, 07:15 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by ummed
veiled

pedant😁
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-16-23, 07:44 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
My take is that people driving cars have predefined expectations of where cyclists should be based upon their observation and personal experience. Since a majority of cyclists do ride on the streets, drivers don’t necessarily expect to see them on sidewalks, either when entering the road from a driveway or exiting a road to a driveway. Add to that what another poster mentioned; they don’t anticipate the speed of a grown-up on a bike on a sidewalk.
In addition to the aforementioned predefined expectations, many drivers also have tunnel vision and/or limited peripheral vision. They don't check the blind spots (either rear or A-pillar) when approaching an intersection. The combination of such drivers and the proliferation of e-bikes on sidewalks is a tragedy in waiting.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-17-23, 11:49 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,596 Times in 2,904 Posts
AI says, “statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), falls are the leading cause of non-fatal injuries in the United States, accounting for more than 8 million emergency department visits each year. In comparison, an estimated 467,000 bicycle-related injuries were treated in U.S. emergency departments.”

Moral to the story irrespective of bike lanes, Don’t fall in the shower and it’s safer to ride a bike.

Old 03-17-23, 11:49 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,347 Times in 935 Posts
Sir, this is a Wendesday's Road Cycling.