Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Missing your favorite cycling mags?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-14-23, 01:30 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts

Cycling publications have been dropping like flies, leaving a lot of talented reporters out of work. Well, some of them got together and created the Escape Collective.

Diane Jenks of the Outspoken Cyclist podcast released her interview with Caley Fretz here. To quote from her site, 'Along with Caley Fretz, who was the editor in chief of Velo News, a slew of these top-notch journalists have come together to offer up a product just for you – not for advertisers, not for clicks or page views – just for you.'
Old 03-14-23, 04:04 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
No. About the only magazines I look at anymore are cooking mags I get from the library.
Old 03-14-23, 04:10 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Looks great. Glad they got profanity in there...cause there's nothing that says "command of the English language" like a good f-bomb....

Last edited by stevel610; 03-14-23 at 04:18 AM.
Likes For stevel610:
Old 03-14-23, 06:04 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Delbiker1, I'm with you on your sentiment/observation. Sadly the f-bomb has somehow become a defacto term of maturity, suave, cool, and other platitudes of social status with the younger crowd. I'm too old or immature to accept it, thus am hesitant to believe the writing skills of the contributors to the collective they are promoting will graduate beyond a school-yard level.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 03-14-23, 08:05 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
If we are talking about actual paper magazines, I have not read one in many decades. I used to read Bicycling way back. Some of the mountain bike oriented ones too. Dirt Rag comes to mind. It apparently was around until recently but I hadn't seen an issue in at least a decade when went out of business. The bike magazines I read were mostly in the 70s to the early 90s.

The last outdoor oriented mag I subscriped to was probably Outside, but it has been quite a while since then. I do still get one magazine subscription (Woodsmith). It is a gift from my wife and she renews it every year.
Old 03-14-23, 08:56 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I miss Peloton. They got soaked up by the Outside group and it's not the same magazine.
Old 03-14-23, 09:12 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Cycling publications have been dropping like flies, leaving a lot of talented reporters out of work. Well, some of them got together and created the Escape Collective.

Diane Jenks of the Outspoken Cyclist podcast released her interview with Caley Fretz here. To quote from her site, 'Along with Caley Fretz, who was the editor in chief of Velo News, a slew of these top-notch journalists have come together to offer up a product just for you – not for advertisers, not for clicks or page views – just for you.'
Are cycling publications dropping like flies?

CyclingTips, the place where Fretz and most all others who are part of the Escape Collective, is still very much around. They just hired people, actually. So that certainly cant count in your narrative.
Its odd that Fretz is referenced as the old EiC at VeloNews since he hasnt worked there in 6 years. He is definitely most recently known as the overseer of CyclingTips, so surprised that isnt what is mentioned.
Old 03-14-23, 09:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
Looks great. Glad they got profanity in there...cause there's nothing that says "command of the English language" like a good f-bomb....
I dont think the point of that comment was to prove a command of the English language exists. The point was to highlight and show outrage as well as solidarity with those who really disliked the NFT route that Outside took. It, in part, caused CT to basically disband and thats been verified by the CEO on an earnings call. It was 100% part of the chain that led to what we are discussing now- Escape Collective.
I am sorry to hear that word is such a trigger for you. It is a rare word which can mean so many things depending on how it is said, which should make it quite invaluable.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-14-23, 09:21 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I miss Peloton. They got soaked up by the Outside group and it's not the same magazine.
And it then got killed as of 4-5 months ago

Old 03-14-23, 09:24 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
And it then got killed as of 4-5 months ago
Yep, and it was such a good magazine. Quality reporting, quality and interesting articles and a load of reading in each issue. It's what a magazine strives to be but I guess the profits weren't there.
Old 03-14-23, 09:40 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I haven't read a print/paper cycling magazine since 1979.

Cussing hasn't been cool since robots mastered it.

Took me years to stop using cussing as a meal rather than a garnish after leaving the Navy. Now I use it only for shock value in totally inappropriate situations. Feels good, man.
Old 03-14-23, 02:32 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Pick a subject matter - any subject, it doesn't have to be bicycling, and you'll probably find the number of magazines to be a lot less than they used to be.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 03-14-23, 04:09 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Delbiker1, I'm with you on your sentiment/observation. Sadly the f-bomb has somehow become a defacto term of maturity, suave, cool, and other platitudes of social status with the younger crowd. I'm too old or immature to accept it, thus am hesitant to believe the writing skills of the contributors to the collective they are promoting will graduate beyond a school-yard level.
Or, it's just the way people talk, smart, dumb, educated, non educated. I've been talking that way since I was a teenager (born in the early 50s fwiw). I'm very well educated and have made a career among professionals. I take no offense in such language as long as it's in a place/venue/medium I can choose to attend to or not. I don't like it when idiots drop the F and S bombs loudly in public places, and I rarely, if ever personally used it any work setting, except by great accident. Time and place you know.
Old 03-14-23, 05:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
I'm on board. I may have wasted some money but I sorely miss the old VeloNews days with Charles Pelkey. I'm hoping this will fill that void.

Edit: Thanks Korina. I would not have seen this.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-14-23, 05:03 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
I’ve been missing good cycling magazines since Bicycle Rider and Bicycle Guide disappeared.

Bicycle Quarterly looks ok, but not enough pictures.
Old 03-14-23, 06:47 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I miss Dirt Rag from before it spun off Bicycle Times (along with all the non-MTB content) around 2009. It was never as good after that. Then Bicycle Time went under… and then Dirt Rag.
Old 03-15-23, 09:22 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont think the point of that comment was to prove a command of the English language exists. The point was to highlight and show outrage as well as solidarity with those who really disliked the NFT route that Outside took. It, in part, caused CT to basically disband and thats been verified by the CEO on an earnings call. It was 100% part of the chain that led to what we are discussing now- Escape Collective.
I am sorry to hear that word is such a trigger for you. It is a rare word which can mean so many things depending on how it is said, which should make it quite invaluable.
No worries, it's just a generational thing. BITD professional journalists, let alone the editor, would never put this to print prefering to express disdain with any number of non-vulgar adjectives. Times change. Thanks for your comment.
Old 03-15-23, 10:18 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
FYI, Bike Magazine is back from the Outside Corporation train wreck, but instead of the genius of Kristin Butcher, we get an intern using one of the cruder A.I. generators for "content".

A sample of the prose:

"While his run was obviously impressive, it seems like commenters were distracted by the hilarious noise of the brakes. "Bro rockin' the new opera breaks," wrote @SamDaman. In addition, @Realdanielhorrell commented that he thought the brakes sounded like wild animals. "Sounds like a flock of geese," he noted.

It's also important to note that Chaplin is much more than just his squeaky brakes. The Vancouver Island mountain biker has made a name for himself thanks to actively sharing his rides via his social media accounts.

Yet, according to Chaplin, he wasn't always so tech savvy when it came to documenting his rides. Like many, his presence online began slowly, mostly sharing "behind bars" photos of his ride spots. However, things took an upward ascent after he purchased himself a GoPro 9. After buying the camera, he began putting out more clips and videos like the one above.

Later, he realized he had tons of footage of his rides in his arsenal, and he decided to make his Instagram public. Before he knew it, he had curated a whole community on his page of like-minded individuals hungry for more of Chaplin's journeys behind his handlebars.

While we're not sure what's going on with his brake situation, we can say for sure that we'll be keeping tabs on Chaplin as he takes us along with him on his rides."
Old 03-23-23, 07:47 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Got my first issue of BQ. May be the worthy successor to Bicycle Rider.

No ads may be a plus (excepting the owner’s). More pictures than I expected. Quality printing and binding. Enough to read over three months.

We’ll see.
Old 03-23-23, 08:12 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
I like https://www.bikeradar.com/ I don't think they actually have a print version anymore, but I actually visit the website and read articles. Watch them on YouTube and listen to the podcast as well, largely because they're British and not afraid of commuting, fenders, racks, tandems, MTBs ridden on pavement, weird frankenbikes and a bunch of other non-racing stuff. The podcast can be every bit as exciting as watching a puddle evaporate, but the Hill Climb Diaries Youtube videos are an awesome mashup of modern bike tech and tea with cake in the village hall. It's kind of sad that there's not more content aimed squarely at the types of bikes and riding that most of us do, rather than hardcore shaved legs and EPO smoothies racing content.
Old 03-23-23, 11:17 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I read in the newspaper that magazines are going out of style.
Old 03-24-23, 07:46 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 278 Posts
Remember when it was a newspaper format? Great articles, race reports, even a way cool classified?