Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What ID do you carry with you on rides?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What ID do you carry with you on rides?

Old 03-20-23, 05:54 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You quoted me on this, but seem to have missed it; so here it is again:

yes they can look you up, but they don’t have to. If they don’t want let you go on personal recognizance, they don’t have to.

No ID, we’re going downtown to sort this out. admittedly it’s a low probability outcome, but if you can avoid that low risk by carrying a photo ID, fairly decent argument for carrying photo I’d.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-20-23, 06:21 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
This gets my vote for strangest sentence ever written on this forum.
Quote me out of context will ya, wise guy?
Old 03-20-23, 06:32 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Quote me out of context will ya, wise guy?
Regardless of context, it's a keeper.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-20-23, 06:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,854 Times in 6,070 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
This gets my vote for strangest sentence ever written on this forum.
"No, no! I said 'IS', not 'HAS'!"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-20-23, 07:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
yes they can look you up, but they don’t have to. If they don’t want let you go on personal recognizance, they don’t have to.

No ID, we’re going downtown to sort this out. admittedly it’s a low zero probability outcome, but if you can avoid that low risk by carrying a photo ID, fairly decent argument for carrying photo I’d.
fify.
Old 03-21-23, 12:09 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
Nope, lost 2 ids, garage fob, car keys, and 2 PBJ sandwich’s while riding. I don’t carry anything of importance anymore.

Besides, I’ve lost so much weight and wear glasses now, nobody would believe the ID is me anyways.
Old 03-21-23, 06:07 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

fify.

So, you’re willing to bank on a pissed off cop, having a bad day, who doesn’t like cyclists, to avoid the inconvenience of carrying a photo I’d, seems like a bad risk balance
Old 03-22-23, 02:28 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
If I'm unconscious, will the person figure out how to unlock my cell phone?

At any rate, I'm not really concerned about it. If someone finds me unconscious on the roadside, what good is it to call my spouse? She's not a medical doctor. I'd hope that the passerby would call 911 and render first aid rather than wasting time calling people who can't help me in that moment.
Phones have emergency features. For iPhones, you press the on/off button on the right + the lower volume button on the left for a few secs. It shows Medical ID and emergency contact.

Now, if the phone is broken due to the crash, that's another thing!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-23-23, 02:34 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Well, the expired DL turned up. Not in a jersey pocket, as I suspected, but fallen behind a desk. Found it whilst looking for something else.

So I'll go back to carrying it.
Old 03-23-23, 09:48 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I just stick my wallet in one of my jersey pockets. If I worry about my wallet getting sweaty on a hot day I use a simple ziplock sandwich bag to protect it
I also just carry my wallet. I'm surprised that more people don't do this. Seems a lot easier than making alternate IDs or moving your cards to a bag every time you ride.
Old 03-23-23, 11:15 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
So, you’re willing to bank on a pissed off cop, having a bad day, who doesn’t like cyclists, to avoid the inconvenience of carrying a photo I’d, seems like a bad risk balance
At my age, I'm willing to take that risk. I'm not willing to fear public servants. Even those who don't understand that this is their role. I'll take the gamble that if they want to screw with me I'm going to come out on top at the end of it all.

But I say that with the understanding that as an older white make I enjoy a bit of privilege in our society. If I were differently situated I might consider other options.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 03-23-23, 04:23 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Credit card, DL, insurance card, transit card and $15-$20 in cash, along with a spare house key. It all goes into a zip lock bag and then into one of my jersey pockets.
I probably don't need the CC, DL or insurance card - most places accept apple pay now and as others have noted, you can get pretty far into the hypotheticals before you really need DL or insurance. I could buy a temp transit fare with Apple Pay as well I think.

I guess I just carry this stuff out of habit.

On the topic of hospitals. I took a trip to the ER last year and they literally asked for and charged my credit card while I was laying on the exam table. I have insurance, but they wanted to make sure I could cover the portion that insurance won't. They whipped out one of those handheld CC machines like I was paying a bar tab. I'm not sure what they would've done if I didn't have my card with me - I'm guessing they would've treated me anyway, but there you go.
Old 03-23-23, 06:35 PM
IcySwan1 

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Nope, lost 2 ids, garage fob, car keys, and 2 PBJ sandwich’s while riding. I don’t carry anything of importance anymore.

Besides, I’ve lost so much weight and wear glasses now, nobody would believe the ID is me anyways.
That right there shows proper priorities.

Mike
Old 03-23-23, 08:45 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
So if we want to get technical, if you’re accuse of a traffic offense, you typically sign the citation promising to appear at trial. If you can’t prove your identity, then the officer doesn’t have to let you go on your promise to appear, and depending on the level of the offense can arrest you and haul you off to jail.

Admittedly, most situations are unlikely to get to that extreme, but if things go completely sideways, it could happen
why is this even an issue? What if you got pulled over in your car and you forgot your license, if that it not an issue then why worry about being on your bike.
Old 03-24-23, 12:28 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
the hair banded packet is:

the old/last expired health insurance card...all the group #'s/id's numbers/coverage the same

expired california dl with emergency contact name/numbers for la county, orange county, riverside county, san bernardino county, imperial county and san diego county taped and water sealed on the back.

debit card

credit card

venmo card

usually $20-$60 in assorted bills for booting a tire (maybe 5x in 23 years of road riding), cashish in case "the internet is down" when riding in the boonies (approx every other year) and a few bux in case of needing to hitch a ride (not yet).

motioned the summoned paramedics a little over a decade ago during a crash involving a clavicle fracture/concussion to grab the id (+ other cards/$) from the back pocket. was a mile from home and

concussed and couldn't remember address, dob or the date but remembered id in back pocket with contact info. the so got contacted promptly. it's not like the dl number has changed...just the face (and maybe)/address (and definitely)/weight.
Old 03-24-23, 07:55 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by Bmach
why is this even an issue? What if you got pulled over in your car and you forgot your license, if that it not an issue then why worry about being on your bike.

it is an issue driving a car. Typically if you just forgot your driver’s license, you get a minor traffic citation that may even be waived if you show up timely in court with your license.

However, depending on the seriousness of any offense or accident that lead to you being detained, the venue, and the Officer’s mood, you can have your vehicle towed, impounded, and you hauled off to headquarters. that can and does happen. Admittedly it’s very unlikely. But why would you put yourself at any risk of such a scenario, when all it takes to avoid it is carrying a small piece of plastic?
Old 03-24-23, 08:20 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Florida accepts digital drivers licenses. You get one with an app on your phone for free. Takes about 10 minutes to set up admin online account, enroll in the program and download the app.

From there you’re covered if you have your phone. Given that most everyone keeps their phone with them already, it’s a one time effort to avoid any problem riding or driving. Pretty much a no brainer.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 03-24-23, 08:44 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
I don’t carry any ID
Old 03-25-23, 10:04 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts

Out of curiosity, what did you carry or put your things in?

Old 03-25-23, 10:05 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by t2p
I don’t carry any ID
Then you can be IDd by fingerprints or dental records.

Old 03-25-23, 11:01 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Out of curiosity, what did you carry or put your things in?

back pocket of a jersey.
Old 03-25-23, 01:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
back pocket of a jersey.
This made me think of the time I fractured my clavicle during a ride and had to be transported to an ER by ambulance. In one of my jersey pockets was half a sandwich my GF couldn’t finish during our lunch stop. By the time a nurse finally cut off my jersey the sandwich more resembled a panini—flat and warm.
Old 03-25-23, 03:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I find losing stuff out a jersey pocket a real mystery. I single track mountain biked for several years, with phone, wallet, energy bars and keys going off jumps and drops, over logs and through streams, not to mention crashed several times and never lost a thing out of my jersey pockets - several different ones. All I can think is that bampilot had very shallow pockets or exceedingly bad luck.

Old 03-26-23, 01:54 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I carry an expired DL and a credit card in case I need a Uber/Lyft.
This is what I do, except the CC is for coffee or beer (although most places take phone-based payments now)
Old 03-27-23, 06:04 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 977 Posts
back pocket of a jersey.
This is why I won’t buy or wear a jersey that doesn’t have a zipping valuables pocket. Also why I started buying more cargo line bibs to stuff important things (phone) in either the cargo pocket on the legs or the mesh pocket on the back

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.