Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.4

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.4

Old 12-23-21, 03:11 PM
  #10876  
seedsbelize2
Used to be Seedsbelize
 
seedsbelize2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán. México
Posts: 1,444

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 88 Centurion Ironman Expert, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
It's supposed to get up to 57° in Sedona today.

#shortsweather
At 57 degrees, we are bundled up. This morning I had on a long john shirt, a merino wool sweater and and insulated flannel, wool socks, long pants, shoes. 55 degrees.
seedsbelize2 is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 03:13 PM
  #10877  
seedsbelize2
Used to be Seedsbelize
 
seedsbelize2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán. México
Posts: 1,444

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 88 Centurion Ironman Expert, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
You guys are reminding me that I need tires for my Odyssey.
And me for my Fit.
seedsbelize2 is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 03:16 PM
  #10878  
seedsbelize2
Used to be Seedsbelize
 
seedsbelize2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán. México
Posts: 1,444

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 88 Centurion Ironman Expert, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Yeah, I saw that, but I think you're off by $1000.

If I were to do another E61 (see above), I think I'd do Profitec/ECM; everything I've seen and heard indicates that their build quality is better than Rocket (and I'm not a fan of the big logo knobs).

But I think that I want a semi/saturated grouphead.
Gotta have the semi/saturated grouphead

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 12-23-21 at 03:20 PM.
seedsbelize2 is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 03:22 PM
  #10879  
seedsbelize2
Used to be Seedsbelize
 
seedsbelize2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán. México
Posts: 1,444

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 88 Centurion Ironman Expert, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 228 Posts
I'm thinking I'll warm the water for my coffee tomorrow morning.
seedsbelize2 is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 03:24 PM
  #10880  
seedsbelize2
Used to be Seedsbelize
 
seedsbelize2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán. México
Posts: 1,444

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 88 Centurion Ironman Expert, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 228 Posts
I went out for a short mixed surface ride this afternoon. It never really got warm today. I'm giving up on Strava, and most anything ese that requires a password. I'm to old to be dealing with that crap.
seedsbelize2 is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 03:26 PM
  #10881  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,072

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5431 Post(s)
Liked 5,696 Times in 2,905 Posts
I'm 10 miles shy of 6000 so far this year. I'm thinking maybe I want those last 10 to be IRL, but the weather isn't promising. Probably oughta HTFU and Just Do It.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-23-21, 03:28 PM
  #10882  
seedsbelize2
Used to be Seedsbelize
 
seedsbelize2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán. México
Posts: 1,444

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 88 Centurion Ironman Expert, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 View Post
I went out for a short mixed surface ride this afternoon. It never really got warm today. I'm giving up on Strava, and most anything ese that requires a password. I'm to old to be dealing with that crap.
It's a new day!
seedsbelize2 is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 03:31 PM
  #10883  
seedsbelize2
Used to be Seedsbelize
 
seedsbelize2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán. México
Posts: 1,444

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 88 Centurion Ironman Expert, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
I've just always hated plaid flannel. I remember as a kid when the plaid shorts fashion came around, I was like "ewww".
Madras? You never wore madras shorts?
seedsbelize2 is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 03:38 PM
  #10884  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,412

Bikes: 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 2,207 Times in 1,083 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
I think ti means ti springs, so no elastomers. Should be plush if it's in good shape.
I have the Manitou Ti SX on this bike. I believe it's a combination of Ti springs and elastomers. This for sat unused for over 15 years, and it still works (mostly). The spring and damper adjustments knobs are frozen, and I'm afraid that if I pull it apart, I'll never get it back together again. I just ride it.

Eric F is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 03:38 PM
  #10885  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 19,003
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 3,652 Times in 1,979 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
I think my largest repair bill was around $4,000 for a top-end rebuild on my Mercedes V8. About half of that was labor.
Lucky for me I don't pay labor, although I gave another tech $100 to help me do a top end on Mrs John's Buick when I told her to keep driving after it overheated. My bad.
I remembered I spent $1500 on body and paint for my 65 Chevy truck after I had it for 10 years. That was in 1983 and I drove it for 9 more years. My ex wife didn't like it.
big john is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 03:46 PM
  #10886  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 19,003
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 3,652 Times in 1,979 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
I have the Manitou Ti SX on this bike. I believe it's a combination of Ti springs and elastomers. This for sat unused for over 15 years, and it still works (mostly). The spring and damper adjustments knobs are frozen, and I'm afraid that if I pull it apart, I'll never get it back together again. I just ride it.
Springs and elastomers? Do not want. There was probably a damper cartridge you could drop in there back in the day. I had a 130mm Manitou Minute fork on my last mtb. It was good in some ways but was quite flexy. The 160mm Fox 36 on my current mtb is so much better. It even better than the fork on my first dirt motorcycle.

That thing was a Ceriani with 3 inches of travel and it had little check ball/spring things in the fork caps. If the check balls got stuck the fork oil would spray the rider in the face on hard bumps.
big john is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 03:58 PM
  #10887  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 21,103

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9184 Post(s)
Liked 2,622 Times in 1,266 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post

You're cruel to your guests.
I've yet to have a guest ask for an espresso and I'm not going to waste an Americano on them, either. If someone visits, like you for example, we'll hit the espresso machine but 99% of my guests are used to gas station or cafe coffee or God forbid, $tarbuck$.
__________________

-Dennis T







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 04:02 PM
  #10888  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 21,103

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9184 Post(s)
Liked 2,622 Times in 1,266 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
UPS Tracking SUCKS!!! I don't know where the Litespeed IS. I only now where it ISN'T - Nashville, since 8:14 AM yesterday.
I ordered something from a Wisconsin bike shop that uses Speedy Delivery. I got a tracking number that went nowhere but the package showed up two days later so all is well.
__________________

-Dennis T







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 04:03 PM
  #10889  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 21,103

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9184 Post(s)
Liked 2,622 Times in 1,266 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 View Post
And me for my Fit.
I'll bet mine are going to be a lot more than yours.
__________________

-Dennis T







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 04:06 PM
  #10890  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 21,103

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9184 Post(s)
Liked 2,622 Times in 1,266 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 View Post
I went out for a short mixed surface ride this afternoon. It never really got warm today. I'm giving up on Strava, and most anything ese that requires a password. I'm to old to be dealing with that crap.
I'm older than you and I feel your pain. I've had a lot of PW problems lately. A couple days ago, I got a notice from FB that someone had been attempting to change my PW so they locked it until I ok'd it which involved me logging out of every machine that I owned and then logging in with my PW and immediately changing it.

I hate this crap.
__________________

-Dennis T







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 04:11 PM
  #10891  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 30,528

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 312 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9978 Post(s)
Liked 3,752 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 View Post
Madras? You never wore madras shorts?
Yes I remember that fad in like the early 60s. I was not a big fan, but my parents sneaked a pair on me once.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 04:28 PM
  #10892  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,412

Bikes: 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 2,207 Times in 1,083 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
Springs and elastomers? Do not want. There was probably a damper cartridge you could drop in there back in the day. I had a 130mm Manitou Minute fork on my last mtb. It was good in some ways but was quite flexy. The 160mm Fox 36 on my current mtb is so much better. It even better than the fork on my first dirt motorcycle.

That thing was a Ceriani with 3 inches of travel and it had little check ball/spring things in the fork caps. If the check balls got stuck the fork oil would spray the rider in the face on hard bumps.
I would be surprised if my old Manitou has 75mm of travel. It's better than a rigid fork...but not by a lot.

I had one of the original all-elastomer Manitou forks (like Tomac used when he won Worlds). A couple of years ago, I found a zip-lock bag in one of my parts boxes with a weird gooey-powdery substance in it. It took me a while to figure out that used to be extra Manitou elastomers that had disintegrated.
Eric F is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 04:29 PM
  #10893  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,412

Bikes: 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 2,207 Times in 1,083 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Yes I remember that fad in like the early 60s. I was not a big fan, but my parents sneaked a pair on me once.
That fad returned in the mid-'80s, as well.
Eric F is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 04:33 PM
  #10894  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 19,003
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 3,652 Times in 1,979 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
I'm older than you and I feel your pain. I've had a lot of PW problems lately. A couple days ago, I got a notice from FB that someone had been attempting to change my PW so they locked it until I ok'd it which involved me logging out of every machine that I owned and then logging in with my PW and immediately changing it.

I hate this crap.
At work I had to use 3 passwords to clock in. All the work passwords and usernames had to be changed periodically and at different intervals, except my personal laptop. I had another password to access GM service information and programming and another to use the diagnostic program. At least that one kept you logged in until the "lease" expired, I think 90 days.

Nothing like being stressed out and frazzled and trying to recall a password you changed yesterday while on the phone with tech support.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 12-23-21, 04:46 PM
  #10895  
MoAlpha
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 9,747

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8107 Post(s)
Liked 4,184 Times in 2,257 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
At work I had to use 3 passwords to clock in. All the work passwords and usernames had to be changed periodically and at different intervals, except my personal laptop. I had another password to access GM service information and programming and another to use the diagnostic program. At least that one kept you logged in until the "lease" expired, I think 90 days.

Nothing like being stressed out and frazzled and trying to recall a password you changed yesterday while on the phone with tech support.
We, at least have gone to pass phrases with none of this numeric or special character crap.

For unknown reasons, my service pension is administered by the US Coast Guard. They have a web site, written in Web 1.0, which is virtually impossible to log onto…during the 120 days a year it’s actually up. Some its more endearing features are the fact that the answer to “CIty where you met your spouse” is really “mother’s maiden name” and, as I learned recently, when you indicate you’ve forgotten your password and the site says they’ll send you a change email, what they really mean is “type your YOB followed by such and such, followed by the last four digits of your employee number followed by…!

My advice is stick to busting drug smugglers and rescuing fishermen.
MoAlpha is online now  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-23-21, 04:46 PM
  #10896  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,412

Bikes: 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 2,207 Times in 1,083 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
You guys are reminding me that I need tires for my Odyssey.
Tires?
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 12-23-21, 04:49 PM
  #10897  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 19,003
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 3,652 Times in 1,979 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
I would be surprised if my old Manitou has 75mm of travel. It's better than a rigid fork...but not by a lot.

I had one of the original all-elastomer Manitou forks (like Tomac used when he won Worlds). A couple of years ago, I found a zip-lock bag in one of my parts boxes with a weird gooey-powdery substance in it. It took me a while to figure out that used to be extra Manitou elastomers that had disintegrated.
Tomac also raced XC with drop bars and used a disc wheel on a hardtail.

I think the Manitou I had was about 80mm but it might have been 100. I had it on a couple different bikes including this K2 which came with a Girvin fork. I had a custom Risse Racing rear shock after the original Noleen blew up. Eventually the frame broke.
The date on the pic is wrong.
big john is offline  
Old 12-23-21, 04:51 PM
  #10898  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 46,092

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 760 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23203 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 833 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Mojos doing rugged sob stuff.
As with many things, it depends: distance walked, pace, ruggedness of trail, elevation gain, whether or not you made unnecessarily stops for food/water/rest.

Not enough information to make the determination.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 12-23-21, 05:03 PM
  #10899  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 46,092

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 760 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23203 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 833 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
For unknown reasons, my service pension is administered by the US Coast Guard. They have a web site, written in Web 1.0, which is virtually impossible to log onto…during the 120 days a year it’s actually up. Some its more endearing features are the fact that the answer to “CIty where you met your spouse” is really “mother’s maiden name” and, as I learned recently, when you indicate you’ve forgotten your password and the site says they’ll send you a change email, what they really mean is “type your YOB followed by such and such, followed by the last four digits of your employee number followed by…!
Quality.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 12-23-21, 05:04 PM
  #10900  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 19,003
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 3,652 Times in 1,979 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
I would be surprised if my old Manitou has 75mm of travel. It's better than a rigid fork...but not by a lot..
I had a Trek 7000 fully rigid mtb. Rigid was an understatement, the thing was super stiff and if there was a rock or some square-edged bumps I would wince. I put foam bar padding which didn't help much but then I got a Rock Shox fork. It was a piece of crap but way better than the bridge girder fork that was on there.

Here is my last KHS at Sycamore Canyon. It has a Manitou shock and fork. I sold it last year.

Last edited by big john; 12-23-21 at 05:18 PM.
big john is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.