Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

How to prevent ball crushing when on drops...

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 01-30-18, 06:00 AM
aniki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts

So I have my position on the drops dialled in to a point where I feel comfortable for sustained riding in terms of my neck position, back position, visibility etc.
However, in this position I still get discomfort from the (front) groin area. I have a short saddle with a cut-out designed for aggressive riding positions.
Do I just have to lift my front or is there anything else anyone can recommend...
Old 01-30-18, 01:10 PM
luddite_68

Bikes: GT Zum & Fuji Gran Fondo

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aniki
So I have my position on the drops dialled in to a point where I feel comfortable for sustained riding in terms of my neck position, back position, visibility etc.
However, in this position I still get discomfort from the (front) groin area. I have a short saddle with a cut-out designed for aggressive riding positions.
Do I just have to lift my front or is there anything else anyone can recommend...
I do not ride in the drops much, but i was shown to arch the lumbar part of my back to tilt the pelvis back allowing for more room up front.
Old 01-30-18, 05:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Tighter bike shorts, tight enough to lift and hold you up. You might have to experiment. No, do not arch your back the wrong way. Good way to screw up your back.
Old 01-30-18, 07:20 PM
IK_biker
old fart

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could cut them off.
Old 01-30-18, 09:45 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
The right shorts should solve your problem. Try some different brands.
Old 01-31-18, 03:42 AM
aniki

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm happy with my shorts / tights. It took me a long time to find a perfect fit so I don't think I'll be changing them. They do hold everything in just fine but when I get low I am compressing my stuff into the front of the saddle.
I'll try experimenting with some positions.
Old 01-31-18, 07:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
is your saddle level?

you might try throwing them over to one side. that's what I do when I'm riding in a bathing suit or regular cotton boxers for casual rides w the family w/o my cycling shorts
Old 01-31-18, 07:49 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I end up tilting my saddle down just a little. But like the others, I assume that you are using cycling shorts or something that can help keep the little guys out of the way.
Old 01-31-18, 08:44 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
What saddle is it?
Old 02-03-18, 12:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Keep hips upright, bend spine above, the lumbar..
Old 02-05-18, 07:46 AM
Jackmen

Bikes: 2014 Giant defy advanced 0 with DI-2, 2013 Blue Triad TT Bike, 2015 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tilt my saddle down 5 degrees or so. This allows me to tilt my pelvis forward and still remain quite comfortable. I use a cut off saddle with wide split nose. Koobi 232. It works great.
Old 02-06-18, 11:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Since I don't ride as much in the winter I gain quite a bit of belly fat that makes being in the drops uncomfortable and "ball crushing" but as the gut goes away I can stay in the drops longer and well before winter comes it's not an issue.

Then winter comes and the process starts over.

saddle height relative to bars, tilt, fore/aft; How I hang my junk in my cycling shorts and other suggested things helped me to various extents too. And though you like that particular brand of shorts, they might not be giving you what you need when in the drops.
Old 02-07-18, 07:32 AM
aniki

Hey thanks for all the replies. Thought I'd report back now I've had a chance to try some things out.
With some careful examination I came to realise that what was happening was I was actually bashing my undercarriage slightly with my leg on the upstroke. It wasn't immediately obvious but gradually the discomfort would set in.
-
So, first I moved my saddle (Specialized Power Pro). I moved it back about 5mm (which effectively also moves it up slightly) and tilted it down about 1.5 degrees.
I also added a 10mm spacer to my stem stack.
So far this feels like a huge improvement and I can happily sustain riding on the drops for much longer now.
I generally have great core strength and am 67kg. No problems with where to bend; I think the problem was purely anatomical. My back, neck and arms are fine with going more aero but it seems other parts, not so much!
Old 02-14-18, 04:18 AM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did you level your power saddle as I notice, with the Power Saddle, I find that you need to level it by the nose.

And seriously, why can't manufacturers specify how they intended saddle tilt to be measured with a particular saddle as I noticed some saddle is measure by the nose whereas some take the middle of the nose and tail.
Old 02-14-18, 07:42 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I usually like to point the nose of the saddle towards the bars (bar tops?)
Old 02-14-18, 08:06 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 220 Posts
The easiest way to measure saddle tilt would be to make the rails level when the saddle is tilted the way the manufacturer intended. This is what ISM does and I have to say their PN 3.0 is pretty darn spot on with that
Old 02-16-18, 05:15 AM
aniki

Originally Posted by wheelhot
How did you level your power saddle as I notice, with the Power Saddle, I find that you need to level it by the nose.
With the rails level the nose is pointing slightly up. I believe this is how it is intended to be set but the shop staff recommended a slightly different approach.
When I bought it, the Specialized guy said that the guys in the shop that use it set it tilted down slightly so the nose section was perfectly level. So when you're low, your butt kind of locks 'in' rather than 'on'! This is how I had it set up for the last year. For me it's the most perfect saddle ever.
I used an iphone app with the edge of my phone resting on the nose to get the 1.5ş forward tilt.
I've put fractionally more weight on my arms and shoulders this way but not so much to be a problem. Still happy with the new position and using the drops more than ever.
Old 02-16-18, 10:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
For slightly curved topped saddles, exactly where I sit level and maybe the nose up ~1/16".
Old 02-21-18, 09:01 PM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aniki
With the rails level the nose is pointing slightly up. I believe this is how it is intended to be set but the shop staff recommended a slightly different approach.
When I bought it, the Specialized guy said that the guys in the shop that use it set it tilted down slightly so the nose section was perfectly level. So when you're low, your butt kind of locks 'in' rather than 'on'! This is how I had it set up for the last year. For me it's the most perfect saddle ever.
I used an iphone app with the edge of my phone resting on the nose to get the 1.5ş forward tilt.
I've put fractionally more weight on my arms and shoulders this way but not so much to be a problem. Still happy with the new position and using the drops more than ever.
Interesting that having the nose tilted upwards seems to work for you as I had to lower down cause my nuts felt numb in an upwards tilted position.
Old 02-22-18, 02:05 AM
aniki

Interesting that having the nose tilted upwards seems to work for you as I had to lower down cause my nuts felt numb in an upwards tilted position.
I didn't tilt it up; I was describing how it looks with the rails level. I did the opposite; I tilted it down about 1.5ş.
Old 02-22-18, 12:13 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,248 Times in 721 Posts
Honestly I think a lot of it has to do with seat height. I had issues with mine after the initial fit, lowering the saddle a bit helped. If it is lower, it can be tilted up a bit. If it is higher, tilting it can help. There is a happy balance there somewhere, proper height and tilt.

I discovered mine was too high, after fiddling with it often, by the dimples on my Brooks being off-center. I was obviously dropping to one side more to compensate for a too high saddle. Dropping the saddle height helped, my discomfort went away, and now, after many more miles, the dimples have reformed in the correct spots.
Old 03-01-18, 08:03 PM
realyfishy

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine01, Wilier GTS, Nishiki FS2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had the same issue & now resolved. I can't wear shorts that are flat in front & now only wear Assos T-eqipe, which have a place for your junk. Naturally men "dress" (a tailoring term) right or left. Ive heard pros slightly offset the seat to the opposite side & it worked for me.
Old 03-01-18, 08:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I'll never get the fascination with level saddles. Mine have been nose down a touch or more on nearly all my bikes over the years. I adjust my tilt until the seat feels dialed in. The relationship to level is whatever it is. I adjust the seat until I can ride continuously in the drops. On those days with tough headwinds and miles to go, I regret this not at all! And the rest of the time, the bike works just fine.

Edit: another who likes the nose of the seat set a few mm to the left.

Ben
Old 03-05-18, 10:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
hand pressure goes up as a result of always pushing your butt upslope, on a sloped saddle ,

you OK with that fine, its your boat , skipper..