Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Bikes with non-replaceable rear derailleur hanger

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-20, 03:52 PM
bh85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Steel frames with non-replaceable rear derailleur hangers. Is it a bad thing? Should I stay away? Opinions? Thanks!
Old 03-10-20, 03:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Especially for a gravel bike, which is more likely to be crashed, I prefer a replaceable derailleur hanger. In fact, I carry a spare on particularly long and treacherous races.

However, I also have a 17-year old road bike with an integrated hanger on the steel frame, and it has been bent back into shape 3x after crashes - so that works fine, too.

I certainly wouldn't let it be a decisive factor in choosing a new bike of any type.
Old 03-10-20, 04:03 PM
bh85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Especially for a gravel bike, which is more likely to be crashed, I prefer a replaceable derailleur hanger. In fact, I carry a spare on particularly long and treacherous races.

However, I also have a 17-year old road bike with an integrated hanger on the steel frame, and it has been bent back into shape 3x after crashes - so that works fine, too.

I certainly wouldn't let it be a decisive factor in choosing a new bike of any type.
Yea, haven't had a crash yet for few years, but yes, it will be a gravel bike.
Old 03-10-20, 05:12 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
On steel frames, the rear dropout is both hard and "tough" so it can withstand the quick-release scraping but the hanger is tough enough that it can also be bent back numerous times before they break. Aluminum dropouts were heat treated to a high degree to get sufficient hardness to withstand the QR stresses but this made the hanger too brittle so they just made it detachable. A broken steel hanger is very rare - even steel MTB bikes use non-detachable hangers so a gravel bike will be fine.
Likes For bluehills3149:
Old 03-11-20, 07:03 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
What bluehills3149 said. Steel can be bent back without any significant damage. You only need to have one alignment tool instead of stocking a unique hanger for each bike you own. That tool can pay for itself after a few uses. It can also be used to tweak replaceable hangers that have just been slightly bent out of line.

I once had an opportunity to purchase a Raleigh Stuntman at a great price and didn't for this exact reason. I have been kicking myself in the butt ever since.
Old 03-11-20, 12:18 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I agree with everything that's been said here. Even replaceable hangers should be aligned correctly, so if you crash with either type you're aligning them both to get the best shifting anyway.
Likes For shoota:
Old 03-13-20, 03:53 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I agree with everything that's been said here. Even replaceable hangers should be aligned correctly, so if you crash with either type you're aligning them both to get the best shifting anyway.
True, that's why I've already aligned the spare in my saddle bag - it's ready to go if I need to use it after a crash on a long ride.
Likes For srode1: