Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thru axle fork onto QR bike rack?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-21, 08:14 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts

I've been searching high and low and I am not quite seeing what I am thinking anywhere.

I have a Thule roof rack for 100mm QR forks. It's the one with the big locking skewer. That's a 9mm locking skewer that the fork ends go into.

I have 3 bikes that I may use on this rack. Two are olde skool QR and one is 12x100 TA.

I've seen the adapter and think it sucks. Seems like a totally sketch piece of metal ready to rotate and loosed up with road vibration.

So my thought is to pull the entire Thule axle and run it through the fork. This would give me the added bonus of lockability and no new accessories. I do worry about the threads of the fork getting beat up though.

Has anyone tried this? Does a 9 to 12 tophat protector exist
Old 05-19-21, 09:12 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
I can't help with your idea but I have used these adapters for thousands of miles with heavier thru-axle MTBs and now my TA road bikes and I've never had one loosen up on my roof rack, or in my truck bed. Including some 90MPH+ sprints on the interstate.

RockyMounts StreetRod | Backcountry.com
Old 05-19-21, 09:16 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
I'll update with pictures. Don't make fun of me for my dirty shop floor.

The Thule locking skewer next to the thru axle

Clearly the locking skewer fits through but there is a little play and I would hate to bugger up threads. Maybe a plastic sleeve over the skewer would help.

I had the thought of drilling out the mount to 12mm and just using the thru axle. This would probably work but I'd rather not.

I hope this clarifies what I'm trying to do.
Old 05-19-21, 10:57 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
It is clear you don't like the adapter but it really is the easiest solution. First you don't have to modify your rack. If I got this straight you want to drill through the mount so a thru axle fits but then a quick release wouldn't? You lose the versatility that an adapter would bring.

I own the Rocky Mount Street Rod mounts and while there are drawbacks, loosening up isn't one of them. Yes, they do rotate forward and to rectify that I use a double strap at the back wheel and this works well.

Sorry I can't help you with any advice on the modification you want to make but there are pretty creative people on here who will hopefully chime in. Good luck.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 05-19-21, 12:17 PM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I have the Rocky Mounts Street Rod as well. It comes with both a 12mm and a 15mm axel adapter so you can use it with both road and mountain bikes. Well worth the $50.
Old 05-19-21, 01:48 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
If you have a friend with a 3d printer, you could make some plastic inserts to pop into the fork.
Likes For dsaul: