Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 06-28-21, 02:26 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Hang in there. I think a lot of us are there. I'm holding out hope that as people get more freedom back, the tension levels will drop.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 06-28-21, 05:32 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Is that a kid's bike?
Maybe they're 650 wheels?
Old 06-28-21, 05:46 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Maybe they're 650 wheels?
no 700
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 06-28-21, 08:37 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Sorry to read this. You have people who love you. "Illegitimi non carborundum" as they say.
Originally Posted by kensuf
Sorry to read this Aki. I also understand exactly how you feel.
Thanks. Luckily for me my family's been my shelter. Both the Missus and Junior are incredible. The store manager (my boss) has been incredibly supportive, at one point forcing me to take a week off, with pay, even though I had no time available.

Today one of the guys that got moved to a different location came back. It's a guy that I recommended (to a twice-removed superior, area manager) to be promoted from below me to above me, i.e. skip me. The area manager spoke with the store manager, and both of them wanted to make sure I'd be okay if that happened. I felt it was the right thing to do, told them such, and the promotion happened. So I obviously have some respect for the guy, and having him come back to the store was nice. Only been one day so far but I came home smiling so that was good.

Having said that, I'm definitely a different person now than I was two years ago. In fact I would hazard a guess that the new riders who saw me at the spring series would consider me generally a pretty big jerk. I think any compliments / thanks came from the ones who have known me for decades, and with whom I have substantial emotional equity. Anyone judging me from 2021 alone.. I know I wouldn't be impressed with myself.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-28-21, 08:40 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Enthalpic

Guess what I paid. Includes the 10s clincher wheels and a extra cassette.
I don't know but it looks cool!
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 06-29-21, 06:26 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I'm not saying 5'7" is short, but that frame looks tiny.

As for price, I hope you didn't spend more than $500 on it.
Old 06-29-21, 06:29 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Having said that, I'm definitely a different person now than I was two years ago. In fact I would hazard a guess that the new riders who saw me at the spring series would consider me generally a pretty big jerk. I think any compliments / thanks came from the ones who have known me for decades, and with whom I have substantial emotional equity. Anyone judging me from 2021 alone.. I know I wouldn't be impressed with myself.
From the stories you've posted over the years, I've often gotten the impression that you are kind to a fault -- meaning people often take advantage of you. I doubt you are being a jerk so much as being firm. There is a difference between being a jerk and being assertive. (Women know this very well, as assertive women are often called the B word.)
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 06-29-21, 06:50 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Thanks. Luckily for me my family's been my shelter. Both the Missus and Junior are incredible. The store manager (my boss) has been incredibly supportive, at one point forcing me to take a week off, with pay, even though I had no time available.

Today one of the guys that got moved to a different location came back. It's a guy that I recommended (to a twice-removed superior, area manager) to be promoted from below me to above me, i.e. skip me. The area manager spoke with the store manager, and both of them wanted to make sure I'd be okay if that happened. I felt it was the right thing to do, told them such, and the promotion happened. So I obviously have some respect for the guy, and having him come back to the store was nice. Only been one day so far but I came home smiling so that was good.

Anyone that hasn't been changed in some way by the events of the last fifteen months is probably a sociopath. I think you're easily afforded a bit of bitterness and snark.
Old 06-29-21, 07:23 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf
Anyone that hasn't been changed in some way by the events of the last fifteen months is probably a sociopath. I think you're easily afforded a bit of bitterness and snark.
Yeah, I don't know that many people made it through this completely unscathed. I know I certainly haven't, despite being almost entirely unaffected by the worst of it.
Old 06-29-21, 08:36 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
I am 100% there with you on that. My patience is less. My tolerance is less. I'm less likely to believe any excuses you make. Less likely to give the benefit of the doubt. Part of me feels like all the life changes I've been through in the past couple years should make me more empathetic, not less (and I feel like I try), but all the negative energy broadcast at me and all the attempts of people to take advantage of my good nature have pushed me over my limit. Here's hoping you can find peace and balance. Maybe in racing some of that will come (I know part of the reason my balance has shifted so much farther in the last 6 weeks is due to lack of ability to get on the bike and pound out some miles to work things out).
Old 06-29-21, 09:32 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by himespau
I am 100% there with you on that. My patience is less. My tolerance is less. I'm less likely to believe any excuses you make. Less likely to give the benefit of the doubt. Part of me feels like all the life changes I've been through in the past couple years should make me more empathetic, not less (and I feel like I try), but all the negative energy broadcast at me and all the attempts of people to take advantage of my good nature have pushed me over my limit. Here's hoping you can find peace and balance. Maybe in racing some of that will come (I know part of the reason my balance has shifted so much farther in the last 6 weeks is due to lack of ability to get on the bike and pound out some miles to work things out).
I'm glad and not glad that it's not just me.

I guess one thing I'm missing is the "friends feedback loop", where I can bounce ideas off people that aren't people at work or at home. So cycling people, my friends in the area. Not being able to hang out with anyone for a while has been tough, like I'll see my brother and his family for the first time in July since Dec 2019 (they live 90 min away, and we normally see them a few times a year, and sleep over on most of those visits).

The racing is a bit depressing because I'm less fit than normal and the others are *extremely* fit. My guile isn't enough anymore, I get ridden off the wheels now. I need to adjust some stuff, mentally and physiologically. I'd been focusing on track stuff and the closer 300m track just opened up for racing today for weekday racing. I'm going to try and make it next week as my bike isn't quite ready right now (missing a crank arm bolt, which has been shipped and is on its way). I hope that goes better than the crits lol.
Old 06-29-21, 02:59 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Is this a place to ask cycling questions too (he asks rhetorically)?

Sold my 202 tubulars. Started pondering that if there was a 2022 season for me it might be a return to mass start road in the 55+ category. I blame CDR since he posted about Anthony who was a guy I could race with. I recall coming around him after following his lead out train for like the last 5 laps of the CT state championships in walnut park and winning the race with him him winning the state championship title.

Anyway, my delusions of this being a good idea aside, what wheel might I do such a thing on? I've raced on zipp tubulars for about forever, but I don't have the patience to deal with that anymore.

and what happened to ridethecliche ?
Old 06-29-21, 06:38 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by gsteinb

Sold my 202 tubulars. Started pondering that if there was a 2022 season for me it might be a return to mass start road in the 55+ category. I blame CDR since he posted about Anthony who was a guy I could race with. I recall coming around him after following his lead out train for like the last 5 laps of the CT state championships in walnut park and winning the race with him him winning the state championship title.

Anyway, my delusions of this being a good idea aside, what wheel might I do such a thing on? I've raced on zipp tubulars for about forever, but I don't have the patience to deal with that anymore.

Anthony has been riding away from the M50s, like starting his sprint 600m out and winning by 50m (spring races in CT). Placed something at the Nutmeg State games in the 123s.

I really like my HEDs. I used the Stinger 6s extensively for about 4-5 years, the Stinger 7/9 for about 7? years (but not as extensively). Fast in a cross tailwind, controllable even at Ninigret in the wind.

ridethecliche built a built Miata that made a crazy amount of power (I want to say over 400 hp), lifted and looked jacked, and is a doctor or something now. he is riding a little.
Old 07-01-21, 07:59 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts

I have some Novatech R5 as my race wheel and they're great. Not a boutique brand but a nice, high value wheel. Several other racers around here (Masters guys) race them and like them too. They're 50 mm deep and 18.3/26 internal/external width, so a bit modern in that they're kinda wide. Gives a nice ride. Quick Release and not tubeless, so no funny stuff there. I run them with latex tubes and fast tires and they are quite nice. 1650g so not too heavy either.

They are discontinued but still readily available from other vendors.
Old 07-01-21, 08:01 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

We watched Coco last night, which was good for some nice good natured cry (at the end). The last two movies we watches were Training Day and then Black Swan... yeah, it was time for something light-hearted. I hadn't seen Black Swan since it came out in theatres, I forgot how disturbing it is. I felt like I had watched a masterpiece ballet after the last scene. And Training Day.... man, that's just messed up. Had never seen it.
Old 07-01-21, 08:53 AM
big john

Originally Posted by TMonk
We watched Coco last night, which was good for some nice good natured cry (at the end). The last two movies we watches were Training Day and then Black Swan... yeah, it was time for something light-hearted. I hadn't seen Black Swan since it came out in theatres, I forgot how disturbing it is. I felt like I had watched a masterpiece ballet after the last scene. And Training Day.... man, that's just messed up. Had never seen it.
Black Swan, an adventure in mental illness. It was hard to know what was real and what was in her mind. I didn't know Natalie Portman had it in her.

Training Day, Denzel is pure evil. A wild ride.

Haven't seen Coco.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-01-21, 08:56 AM
big john

ridethecliche built a built Miata that made a crazy amount of power (I want to say over 400 hp), lifted and looked jacked, and is a doctor or something now. he is riding a little.
He came back to the forum and was posting about riding again and I think even talking about getting a coach and seemed to be Gung Ho. Then he disappeared, poof.
Old 07-01-21, 10:01 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts

I sold my 404 tubies when I basically took a break from racing about 7 yrs ago, then when I started back up about 5 yrs ago I bought some lightly used 60mm Roval clinchers from a teammate for a low price. I've been happy with them. Newer deep dish carbons are going to be ever so slightly faster being a little wider, and with dimples and such, but would be way more costly. Also, I know that tubeless have a little less rolling resistance, but teammates that have them always seem to complain about them. So I think they are kind of a sweet spot in price/performance and I'm not looking elsewhere.
Old 07-01-21, 10:07 AM
topflightpro

A lot of people are happy with Light Bike Wheels. They're generic carbon rims laced to a hub of your choice. I suspect they will likely need to be trued and tensioned though.

And there is always PsiMet for wheels.
Old 07-01-21, 10:10 AM
topflightpro

I watched Tenet the other day. It was entertaining enough, but like most Christopher Nolan plots, rather convoluted.

We also recently watched It and It 2. They were entertaining and not terribly scary.
Old 07-01-21, 10:11 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
not sure I can do wider, since my frames are from 2014.
Old 07-01-21, 10:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I had gotten this Trinity thru Pro's Closet. Either the prior owner or them didn't assemble the front end correctly. I took apart the front end to inspect and measure some stuff before buying some more fit hardwares to try some aero testing ideas out and found they never installed the barrel spacers where the stack spacers mount to the base bar.

Failing to do so pulls the bolt/washer up into the basebar too hard and too much. So I caught that before it became a problem.

I bought some off-the-shelf shims and tilt blocks for it. Going to do some aero testing to see how my body works out with current low stack versus a solid extra inch of stack. Then I'll be tilting the bars up more to get right at the 10cm but putting the pads closer to them so the effectiveness of that is optimized. I'll try as-is (less tilt) against the max tilt. Then for both stack and tilt increment changes to optimal.

Found a local 1/4 mile long perfectly flat circle loop in Cary. Just head out there real early on a weekend and get in a few laps with the Notio.
Old 07-01-21, 12:18 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

not sure I can do wider, since my frames are from 2014.
I can run my Novatech R5's (26 mm external) on my 2013 TCR Advanced ISP
Old 07-01-21, 08:44 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

swapped out some brake pads and re-adjusted my brakes on the TT bike. yeah, that was not fun.
Old 07-02-21, 02:27 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Just found out I'm going to get a nice promotion at work, but also found out that I'm not going to get the big promotion I really wanted due to politics. Talk about mixed emotions.
Likes For ntnyln:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.