Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Bike Fit: Interesting "how to get the reach right" method

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 02:31 PM
Onetwothree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Fam,

Over the winter I have been experimenting with my bike fit. During my professional bike fit, I was discussing reach with my fitter. Since reach is more of an art compared to say seat height, the fitter raised an interesting method for checking your reach or appropriate top-tube and stem length combo, which has to do with your body proportions, rather than angles or visual inspection of your riding position or the hub test as the list goes on.

He went on to say that a reach is pretty spot on when sitting on your seat, bend all the way down, keeping your back straight or leveled , and see where your nose falls in relation to the handlebars (got to physically touch). If your nose touches where the stem intersects with your handlebars, while supporting yourself obviously, you have a good reach or the right top-tube and stem length combo. He went on to say this will yield a good measure of reach.

It makes sense if you think about it, since it uses your body proportions rather than some other arbitrary method.

Anyways, I thought it was interesting. I find that reach is a very subjective topic. Basically, go by comfort is the answer. If you go online and look for how to set your reach, you will not get a real answer, just bunch of noise.

What do you guys think of this "technique" and how does it measure up with your current set up?

Last edited by Onetwothree; 04-13-18 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-11-18, 02:34 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
It seems somewhat similar to the bar obscuring the hub method. What both lack is reference to the bar reach, hood reach, arm length or flexibility.

These kind of tools can work for many people, but are so totally wrong in many cases as to make them almost like randomly selecting a stem.
Old 04-11-18, 04:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Interesting! Just tried it on my favorite single. Butt on saddle like I was descending, back as straight as it would be descending, nose exactly touched center of bars. But if I rounded my back like many people do, my nose was ~6" aft of bars. So that's going to depend on flexibility to measure out correctly. And interestingly, in my normal riding position, hands on hoods, my hub appears to be ~1.5" behind my bars. I never paid any attention to that when fitting. I look for a 90° angle between upper arm and straight torso, hands on hoods or in drops. But mostly I just go by what feels right.
Old 04-11-18, 05:32 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This "method" has been around for decades. Along with "the distance from your elbow to the end of your middle finger should be the same as the distance from the tip of your seat to handlebars" and "in your normal riding position if you look down at the handlebars, your front hub should be obscured behind it". These do work for some people, but obviously they don't consider enough factors to work for everyone. Someone with extra long arms compared to their height is probably going to want a longer reach than your method recommends.
Old 04-12-18, 11:52 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I think Kontact is right in pointing out that with rules of thumb, the rule will work for some but not for others. For example, a person with long arms will need a different reach than one with shorter arms. Furthermore, a person with a stocky build where a higher than average amount of weight higher up may not be totally comfortable with a long reach and higher weight on the hands.
Old 04-14-18, 07:13 PM
IK_biker
old fart

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Onetwothree
it uses your body proportions rather than some other arbitrary method
Thanks for sharing, but this uses the wrong body proportions.

The actual body proportions which matter for reach are torso length, upper arm length, lower arm length.
The "nose" method takes into account neck length, which has nothing to do with the above parameters, and completely ignores the two arm length dimensions.
Same BS as the "hub obscured from view" method.
Old 04-15-18, 04:59 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Not just what Berner said, but Carbon’s comment implies it’s not just variable with body proportion but also with posture, which may be a matter of mood, fatigue or even training.
Old 04-17-18, 07:33 PM
Lenkearney

Bikes: Cannon dale t700 touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
, a person with a stocky build where a higher than average amount of weight higher up may not be totally comfortable with a long reach and higher weight on the hands.

I am this person - never thought about reach being a factor - you may have just solved my problem..
Old 04-18-18, 10:16 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenkearney
I am this person - never thought about reach being a factor - you may have just solved my problem..
Hope it helps. Like the ancient Greeks have said, "It''s all geometry".
Old 04-22-18, 09:27 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
If you're perfectly proportional, it works. See Vitruvian man's drawing. Not many of us are perfectly proportional, however. It's a starting point - great place to begin to make those tiny incremental adjustments one at a time til you find fit nirvana.