Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wheel lock for quick release

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-19, 11:07 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts

I have the pinhead skewers to replace my QR skewers. However I carry my bike in the back seat therefore always taking the front wheel off.
Is there something better I can use to lock the wheels but also easy to remove the front wheel. Not crazy bout the pinhead wrench. Pain to line up and I worry bout stripping those notches on the wrench/key.
Likes For b88:
Old 08-11-19, 09:14 PM
cecu

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
what was the reason to go with pinhead skewer instead of QR? because of theft i assume?
I use a skewer with a hex key, which works great but if your reason for using pinhead is for theft than hex key won't help much..
Old 08-12-19, 09:19 AM
b88

Originally Posted by cecu
what was the reason to go with pinhead skewer instead of QR? because of theft i assume?
I use a skewer with a hex key, which works great but if your reason for using pinhead is for theft than hex key won't help much..

Yes bike and bike bike parts theft pretty bad here in the downtown core.
I guess I just use the pinheads for now. Better than carrying bike back with wheels missing.
Old 08-12-19, 10:50 AM
joeruge

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
I don't know what a pinhead skewer is ( I'll have to look that up!) But when I lived in Brooklyn theft was a daily problem. I thought about using a small padlock to lock the skewer lever to the chainstay or fork. I never tried it nor identified a suitable padlock.

That was 30 years ago. I'd be surprised if someone hasn't tried this, or if somethimg like this isn't already avaiable.
Old 08-12-19, 11:24 PM
b88

Originally Posted by joeruge
I don't know what a pinhead skewer is ( I'll have to look that up!) But when I lived in Brooklyn theft was a daily problem. I thought about using a small padlock to lock the skewer lever to the chainstay or fork. I never tried it nor identified a suitable padlock.

That was 30 years ago. I'd be surprised if someone hasn't tried this, or if somethimg like this isn't already avaiable.

Someone did start a project to make such a padlock for the quick release lever. It was called Quick Caps. It looked okay too. But it was discontinued.