Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Miyata 1000 and Revelate Ripio frame bag

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-21, 11:46 AM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts

Hey all: I am thinking about going in this direction and wondering if anyone has tried a touring bike with the Revelate Ripio frame bag. My bike is a large (58)and I was hoping to fit an XL frame bag trying to maximize the carrying capacity. I measured the bike and seems like XL will work until I cut out a template. I no longer have my middle school protractor so couldn't make the proper angle. It was not even close, due mostly to the seat tube/top bar angle. I used a 90 degree, obviously the bike has a smaller angle. So I made a large size template (still 90), closer but still not right. Revelate does not state the angle of their bags, only the size of each side.

So has anyone done this? They recommend a Ripio for road bikes. As of now I am thinking a large bag.
Old 04-29-21, 12:41 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Sizing Chart

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/site...izing-2017.pdf

Printable Full Size PDF Pattern

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/site...izing-PDF-.pdf
Old 05-01-21, 05:11 AM
balto charlie

Thanks, I originally used the first link to measure and that is when I found out the seat tube angle is important. I didn't print out the second link hoping some would chime in with their experience. I'll probably print it out and measure it. I hope I print to the correct size, this will be important. They have a 1" comparison marking.
Old 05-02-21, 12:26 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
Thanks, I originally used the first link to measure and that is when I found out the seat tube angle is important. I didn't print out the second link hoping some would chime in with their experience. I'll probably print it out and measure it. I hope I print to the correct size, this will be important. They have a 1" comparison marking.
most important are the angles, which will be correct (ir)regardless of printout size.
given that you have the exact dimensions, once you print out and tape together,
should be no problem at all to extend the lines to the correct lengths.

or gosh, just print the four pages with the corner angles, see if they match your frame.
Old 08-01-21, 08:15 AM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by saddlesores
most important are the angles, which will be correct (ir)regardless of printout size.
given that you have the exact dimensions, once you print out and tape together,
should be no problem at all to extend the lines to the correct lengths.

or gosh, just print the four pages with the corner angles, see if they match your frame.
So I finally did this. Worked very well. My Miyata 58/57 cm 1000 needed a large. XL was too big. It did not fit perfect but close enough. I bought it (not cheap) and have used it on a few gravel bikepacking trip. It holds a lot. I easily put all my food for 4 days, cooking stuff etc and bike tools. Used my dry bag for tarp, sleep bag, clothes.