Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

LBS in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 11:03 PM
jimbossa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
LBS in NYC

Just moved to NYC, whats a good LBS? I'm sure its been covered, but wanted something more up to date. Thanks in advance
Old 01-28-11, 11:09 PM
LongIslandTom
Señor Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NYC is a BIG place. Might help if you can narrow it down a bit by telling us what neighborhood you are in.

FWIW here in Queens, I had some repairs done on my bike at Spin City Cycles in Forest Hills near where I work (replace a destroyed Alivio rear derailleur on my commuter bike with an Ultegra one) and their work is pretty good, if a bit expensive.
Old 01-29-11, 07:19 AM
jimbossa

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
oops. My bad. I'll be in Queens (around Corona) for the coming 6 months and then the upper east side.

I just came from a college lbs where I could do my own repairs. Is there anything similar or at least cheapish?
Old 01-30-11, 12:26 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbossa
oops. My bad. I'll be in Queens (around Corona) for the coming 6 months and then the upper east side.

I just came from a college lbs where I could do my own repairs. Is there anything similar or at least cheapish?
https://times-up.org/index.php?page=b...HoursLocations

"
On Monday and Tuesday nights in Manhattan, we have bike repair classes which introduce basics of bicycle maintenance. Wednesday (Brooklyn) and Thursday (Manhattan) nights are open workshops where you can bring your own bicycle and work on it yourself with the aid of Time's Up! mechanics. On Sundays we have lessons and then an open workshop in Brooklyn. Time's Up! also runs a recycle a bike program which has recycled 1000's of bicycles and put them back into the hands of new cyclists. We are always ready to accept your donations in the NYC area. These low cost bicycles can be purchased Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday after 2 PM the Time's Up! Brooklyn space. Check below for details, locations and hours.

Contact our Time's Up! mechanics for any questions regarding workshop schedules, miscellaneous bike repair, donating to our wishlist or becoming a volunteer mechanic at: xupbicyclecoop@gmail.com."
Old 02-02-11, 06:24 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sid's Bikes on 34th Street, off of 2nd Avenue is pretty good. A little on the expensive side, but they never messed with me or made me buy something I didn't need, etc. The staff is cool and friendly, they have decent mechanics too and they have been around for a loooong time. I work only a few blocks away but I stopped going there as much since I discovered my fav LBS in Brooklyn, along my route. But these guys don't sell brand name bikes, they build their own, and their bikes are tough. I also started doing most of my repairs myself and buy stuff mostly on line. But if you need a local shop you can't really go wrong with Sid's Bikes.

Adam
Old 02-03-11, 07:18 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Larry & Jeff's on 3rd around 79th. https://bicyclesnyc.com/

Don't forget to check out the Dallas BBQ a few blocks up at 1265 3rd avenue. Pretty decent, pretty reasonable.
Old 02-09-11, 04:31 PM
lukasz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite shop for crap I can't do at home is B's Bikes in Greenpoint. They specialize in utilitarian riding so not much in the way of racing bikes or carbon bits. If you need work done (on any type of bike, including the fancy carbon stuff), they are awesome and cheap. They're probably the only shop around that I actually trust with my bicycles.
Old 02-09-11, 10:05 PM
jeebusaurousrex

Bikes: Schwinns

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My favorite shop on the east side is Conrad's in tudor city. They have excellent mechanics but their rates are expensive and can be curt when they're busy. Not the friendliest store, but I trust them with any major overhauls/repairs. They cater to racers looking for high end stuff, but you'll see locals with cheap commuter bikes in there for repairs too.

Bicycle Habitat downtown on Lafayette has an excellent mechanic. He's been around for ages, has dreads, always forget the name. I would trust him 100% with older bikes. The store itself is pretty nice, pretty good selection, I'd say on par with Sid's.
Old 02-09-11, 10:52 PM
Commando303

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've found Conrad's to be a nice store, though I've not done much business, there. Bicycle Habitat, when I visited, seemed to busy to give much of a damn to try to help me.
Old 02-11-11, 08:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Larry & Jeff's on 3rd around 79th. https://bicyclesnyc.com/

Don't forget to check out the Dallas BBQ a few blocks up at 1265 3rd avenue. Pretty decent, pretty reasonable.
Aw, that's sweet. I worked for Larry and Jeff 30 years ago. They broke up a couple of years ago. If you're looking for Larry, his shop is on 2nd Ave and 87th St. Larry always gives the customer a square deal, and he's a brilliant mechanic. Tell him I said hi!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-14-11, 11:49 AM
jeebusaurousrex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Commando303
I've found Conrad's to be a nice store, though I've not done much business, there. Bicycle Habitat, when I visited, seemed to busy to give much of a damn to try to help me.
I agree, Bike Habitat is hit or miss as far as sales goes. I was just talking about one of their mechanics. Not sure if he's "freelancer" or is officially on the store's payroll.

Conrad's is nice, they keep a tight shop, but again, they're sort of brisk with you a lot of times. I think they've been hit hard since 2008 when a LOT less people stopped buying expensive frame sets and accessories. Just from my observation they seem to do a ton of repair/maintenance business though.
Old 02-14-11, 11:51 AM
jeebusaurousrex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
Aw, that's sweet. I worked for Larry and Jeff 30 years ago. They broke up a couple of years ago. If you're looking for Larry, his shop is on 2nd Ave and 87th St. Larry always gives the customer a square deal, and he's a brilliant mechanic. Tell him I said hi!
That means you were working there only a few years after they opened!
Old 02-14-11, 10:54 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by jeebusaurousrex
That means you were working there only a few years after they opened!
Yup. I think they opened in about 1975. I started there in 1978. Before they opened, they worked at Gene's on 77th St and 2nd Ave. Larry taught Jeff everything.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-06-11, 11:26 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
And, if you go to the Dallas BBQ, take along a friend for their Early Bird chicken special! NYC isn't such a bad place!
Old 03-14-11, 05:38 PM
motobecane69
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I call this location "the real larry's" however i'm sad to report that he has sold it! Some asian guys from upstate are taking it over, larry is still there for now but he is definately transitioning. The good news is that the new guys are already sprucing up the place but I found something special about the massive amounts of clutter that were there. It was like an adventure, they could seem to find anything you would need for any bike if they looked long enough and usually they didn't need to look that long! hopefully the new owners continue to do good things. Larry really does take great care of his customers and the mechanics in the back are a riot!
Old 03-14-11, 06:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I'm glad Larry came up in this thread. I sent his shop an email, and Larry actually received it. He called me and we agreed we'll have lunch some time soon. He said there's a lot of catching up to do. I've dropped in on him briefly for about three or four times over the last 30 years, but we really haven't talked all that much.

I guess he has enough to retire on. Good for him. Or maybe he's heading for a new adventure in life. Good for him.

Old 03-15-11, 11:49 AM
FixdGearHead
BMC Lover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to put a plug in for Mark Purdy; I came across him in a write-up on CompetitiveCyclist.com. Just recently had him overhaul my bike before my first race...bike has never run so smooth. Website He's by appointment-only which means same-day service which is great, prices seem on par with what I've paid at Toga, Larry & Jeff's and Conrads.

EDIT: speaking only in terms of repair work/tune-ups. I believe his supply of equipment to purchase is a bit limited.

Last edited by FixdGearHead; 03-15-11 at 11:51 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-15-11, 09:20 PM
cyclistJP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody know of a bike shop in Queens that offers repair workshops or lessons; I rather not head into lower Manhattan or Brooklyn at night for some rudimentary lessons like changing a flat.
Old 03-15-11, 11:07 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

I don't know a place in Queens, only Manhattan & Brooklyn:

https://times-up.org/index.php?page=bike-co-op

Calendar of Workshops and Classes

Repair Class: Cups, Cones, Bearings Tue, Mar 15th, 6:30 pm, 156 Rivington St. (between Suffolk & Clinton St in Manhattan's Lower East Side) in the basement. Fix Your Bike Workshop-Brooklyn Wed, Mar 16th, 6:30 pm, Time's Up! Brooklyn at 99 South 6th Street, off Bedford Avenue, right under the Williamsburg Bridge Fix Your Bike Workshop-Manhattan Thu, Mar 17th, 6:30 pm, 156 Rivington St. (between Suffolk & Clinton St in Manhattan's Lower East Side) in the basement Fix Your Bike Workshop-Brooklyn Sun, Mar 20th, 6:00 pm, Time's Up! Brooklyn at 99 South 6th Street, off Bedford Avenue, right under the Williamsburg Bridge Ladies' Class: Cups, Cones, Bearings Mon, Mar 21st, 6:30 pm, 99 South 6th Street, Brooklyn off Bedford Avenue, right under the Williamsburg Bridge Bike Repair Class: Wheels and Spokes Tue, Mar 22nd, 6:30 pm, 156 Rivington St. (between Suffolk & Clinton St in Manhattan's Lower East Side) in the basement.
Old 03-16-11, 06:06 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
^^^ bookmarked for future participation - thanks!
Old 03-16-11, 02:16 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Hey it's free, how can you go wrong?
Old 03-16-11, 09:16 PM
cyclistJP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
I don't know a place in Queens, only Manhattan & Brooklyn:

https://times-up.org/index.php?page=bike-co-op

Calendar of Workshops and Classes

Repair Class: Cups, Cones, Bearings Tue, Mar 15th, 6:30 pm, 156 Rivington St. (between Suffolk & Clinton St in Manhattan's Lower East Side) in the basement. Fix Your Bike Workshop-Brooklyn Wed, Mar 16th, 6:30 pm, Time's Up! Brooklyn at 99 South 6th Street, off Bedford Avenue, right under the Williamsburg Bridge Fix Your Bike Workshop-Manhattan Thu, Mar 17th, 6:30 pm, 156 Rivington St. (between Suffolk & Clinton St in Manhattan's Lower East Side) in the basement Fix Your Bike Workshop-Brooklyn Sun, Mar 20th, 6:00 pm, Time's Up! Brooklyn at 99 South 6th Street, off Bedford Avenue, right under the Williamsburg Bridge Ladies' Class: Cups, Cones, Bearings Mon, Mar 21st, 6:30 pm, 99 South 6th Street, Brooklyn off Bedford Avenue, right under the Williamsburg Bridge Bike Repair Class: Wheels and Spokes Tue, Mar 22nd, 6:30 pm, 156 Rivington St. (between Suffolk & Clinton St in Manhattan's Lower East Side) in the basement.

Thank you for this, I will bookmark it and maybe plan for a visit to a repair class, since none seem to exist closer to me.
Old 03-16-11, 09:22 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Here's another class in BK, $60 but you get freebies:

https://www.bikenewyork.org/education...intenance.html

Learn How to Take Care of Your Bike!

Course Content • Course Format • Is This the Right Class for You? • Schedule • Price • Register • Next Steps • What Participants Are Saying

Do you know how to fix the most common bicycle breakdown in 5 minutes or less? What two procedures will make your bike ride more easily and smoothly? Bring your bike to a half-day Bike Maintenance 101 class to learn these things and lots more.

Bike New York is partnering with Recycle-A-Bicycle to bring you this class, and all proceeds will support Recycle-a-Bicycle's mission of youth job training and environmental education.

Course Content
Bike Maintenance 101 teaches the basics you need to know to keep your bike tuned. These skills will save you time, money, and make your rides easier and safer.
Fixing a flat tire
Brake and derailleur adjustments
Chain cleaning and lubing
Numerous adjustments that can be done with a multi-tool, including seat and handlebars
All class participants receive a multi-tool, patch kit, and tire levers. (There will be a charge for any replacement parts needed by a student.)

Course Format
Class duration: 4 hours
Class location: Recycle-A-Bicycle shop, Dumbo, Brooklyn
Class size: Up to 8 adult students
Instructors: One skilled bike mechanic
Instructor to student ratio: 1 to 8
Equipment necessary: Bicycle*
Registration policy: Advance registration is required of all participants; walk-in students are not allowed
*Students are encouraged to bring their own bicycle to class, but are not required.

Is This the Right Class for You?
This beginner class teaches the basics you need to know to keep your bike tuned. If you occasionally pump your tires and know you should lube your chain but don’t know where to start, or if you do nothing at all to your bike, this is the class for you. Want to learn how to fix a flat tire? This class covers that, too!

Already know your way around a bike’s mechanical workings but want to take your skills to the next level? Attend Bike Maintenance 201 to learn how to replace cables, replace brake pads, adjust a headset, and more (class details coming soon)!
2011 Schedule

Date Time Location Notes
Sat, 3/19 9:00 am Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > FULL.
Sun, 3/27 1:00 pm Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
Sun, 4/10 1:00 pm Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
Sun, 4/17 1:00 pm Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
Sun, 4/24 1:00 pm Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
Sat, 5/7 9:00 am Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
Sun, 5/8 1:00 pm Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
Sun, 5/15 1:00 pm Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
Sat, 5/21 9:00 am Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
Sun, 6/5 1:00 pm Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
Sun, 6/19 1:00 pm Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
Sun, 6/26 1:00 pm Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
Sat, 7/9 9:00 am Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
Sun, 7/24 1:00 pm Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
Sun, 8/21 1:00 pm Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
Sun, 9/11 1:00 pm Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
Sun, 9/25 1:00 pm Brooklyn: Recycle-A-Bicycle DUMBO bike shop, 35 Pearl Street at Plymouth Street Directions > Register Pay
All class dates and locations are subject to change. Please check back for updates.

Price
The class fee is $60, due upon registration, and includes a multi-tool, patch kit, and tire levers for all participants. This payment directly supports Recycle-A-Bicycle in its mission of youth job training and environmental education, and is a tax deductible donation to the organization.

Registration Details
To secure a spot in a Bike Maintenance 101 class, students must complete the following two steps:
Add your name and contact information to Bike New York’s class roster by registering online.
Follow the directions on your registration confirmation email to submit your class fees to Recycle-A-Bicycle by making a $60 donation to the organization via Paypal. Please designate your donation as “Bike Maintenance 101.” This will finalize your registration. Soon after, you will receive a final confirmation email.

Cancellation policy: Sorry, no refunds are available. If you wish to change to a different class date, you may do so without any extra charge, up to a week in advance of the class for which you were registered. To cancel or change the date of the class, e-mail us.

Next Steps
Once you attend a Bike Maintenance 101 class and get a handle on the basics of bike maintenance, you may be interested in attending Bike Maintenance 201, where students learn more advanced bicycle repair skills.

With your knowledge of a bicycle’s mechanics, you’d make a fine Bike New York volunteer! Whether at an event ride or educational class, Bike New York is always in need of skilled support. Find out how you can join our volunteer ranks here.

What Participants Are Saying
"Our instructor was fabulous. I learned quite a bit about my bike and we actually got to see someone with a flat fix it, which was quite instructive."--May 2009
"Great class! Our teacher was excellent; subject matter appropriately imparted and useful! Thank you very much."--February 2009
Old 03-17-11, 04:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
One of the classes that I'm really interested in is the wheelbuilding class at Habitat. It's $50, but there's a 4 person minimum.
Old 03-17-11, 06:39 PM
cyclistJP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is habitat? and where is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.