Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Well I bought the Nago...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 10:35 PM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Well it seemed real enough to me. Looks like the frame was pretty rusty before and has gone through lots of touch up. I thoroughly checked it for any collision damage and didn't find any.

However, I am having some buyer's remorse and am not sure if I want it. Part of me wanted it just because it was a flashy miami-vice Colnago, but part of me didn't want to drop $300 on it + whatever I am going to spend for parts (although I have most).

Decisions, decisions. Here are some pics:

Old 04-24-11, 10:43 PM
s34s0ns
whether man

Bikes: 197(?) Maserati MT-(?)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love colnago's, but hate that they have a sticker badge.... it just kills the classy-ness of their designs.

I just don't get it, they have great looking / nicely crafted frames and pop a sticker on the front.
Old 04-25-11, 12:53 AM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hey did you get that frame from hamilton, or in toronto?, i saw one listed like that just last week....
Old 04-25-11, 01:08 AM
shnibop 

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
$300 is probably not a terrible deal, but it's close to top dollar IMO.

is that suppose to be the original fork? i'd be shocked if it were.
Old 04-25-11, 04:11 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by shnibop
is that suppose to be the original fork? i'd be shocked if it were.
+1
Old 04-25-11, 09:23 AM
pitobread

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would pick it up off you if it is around a 53cm. I would want to see some more pictures of the rust though..
Old 04-25-11, 09:36 AM
vjp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Picchio Special
+1
+2
Old 04-25-11, 10:30 AM
Puget Pounder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not the original fork obviously. I know. -_-
Old 04-25-11, 10:36 AM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts
I know it's sacraligious but why not just strip it down and sand down the rust on the chrome on the tubes and paint it. I mean you already seem unhappy with your purchase. You could pick up a decal kit from JR at Velocals.com for like $40 and have something you like. I think it's a cool frame and looks to have some heavy rust on the top tube but nothing to cure able. Just my .02
Old 04-25-11, 10:46 AM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it. Don't be afraid to ride the thing now that you have it.
Old 04-25-11, 11:16 AM
Puget Pounder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I know that it can be restored, but I was looking for a nice steel frame for training rides that I wouldn't spend a fortune on. I thought about sanding and powder coating, but as a student, I don't think it's very practical for me.
Old 04-25-11, 11:19 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
build it up and ride it and see how you like it before you put any money into a restoration project. I like the colours, I think it would look great with alloy components on it.
Old 04-25-11, 01:35 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Puget Pounder
I know that it can be restored, but I was looking for a nice steel frame for training rides that I wouldn't spend a fortune on. I thought about sanding and powder coating, but as a student, I don't think it's very practical for me.
Ride the hell out of it, exactly as it is. That'll be a great bike for training rides. As long as the fork is a good match to the original, you now have the ride of a Colnago without the fear of damaging it by exposing it to rain, gravel, etc.

Last edited by bibliobob; 04-25-11 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-25-11, 02:25 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Build it, ride, then think about what you want to do with it. That is the approach I am taking with mine, and I have had it 2 years! BTW, I really enjoy mine. So it isn't perfect, neither am I!
Old 04-25-11, 09:19 PM
jimbossa

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Dude, you have no excuse not to build it up. I know UW's bike shop is really helpful and they have bins of stuff they'll sell dirt cheap. Got a lot of help redoing parts of my colnago there. I think Max is still the manager there.
Old 04-25-11, 09:25 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
+ whatever on the fork. interesting paint.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-25-11, 10:11 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Interesting description: Miami-vice Colnago. I find it interesting how everyone seems to relate or link things to their past. Was it the colours that you linked to Miami-vice or was it the Colnago itself?

I do like it by the way. I always wanted a Colnago when I was younger but couldn't afford one until I reached my 30's. I think you should get it going with whatever parts that are available and then think about tailoring it to your liking. People either like or dislike Colnagos because of their aesthetics but they all seem to ride nicely for the average proportioned person.

Good riding,

Gary.
Old 04-25-11, 10:31 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
Ride the hell out of it, exactly as it is. That'll be a great bike for training rides. As long as the fork is a good match to the original, you now have the ride of a Colnago without the fear of damaging it by exposing it to rain, gravel, etc.
Totally. I love the idea of a nice bike that fits, rides and looks awesome, that isn't so fancy that you worry about it a lot. Sixtyfiver's Ron Cooper seems to be a good example of this; a bike that can be used like a bike. You never intentionally abuse it, but you don't have to fret if it starts raining during an epic ride, you can take unpaved trail 'shortcuts' on a whim, and if one of your friends knocks it over when you are lunching during a group ride, you may be upset, but you don't necessarily feel the compulsion to maim him for disrespecting your precious.
Old 04-25-11, 11:07 PM
Puget Pounder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbossa
Dude, you have no excuse not to build it up. I know UW's bike shop is really helpful and they have bins of stuff they'll sell dirt cheap. Got a lot of help redoing parts of my colnago there. I think Max is still the manager there.
I use to spend too much time in that shop. Max is a bud of mine.

I guess I do have all the parts for it except for the seatpost, BB, and headset. I've got a 600 tricolor grouppo + ultegra/open pro wheels waiting for a build. Maybe this is it...

What bums me out is that the seatpost seems to be a 27.0 or 26.8 size. Which eliminates any of the higher end columbus tubing. The columbus decal says "Super '91". Any insights?

You're all enablers.

Last edited by Puget Pounder; 04-26-11 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-05-11, 12:25 AM
FstrMnky

Bikes: yes please!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
If you didn't already, just build it & ride it before doing anything else. As a minimum you will have a rather unique frame that probably rides really nicely, especially if you use modern brakes & brifters but even if you set it up with downtube shifters that will still let you get a feel for how it rides. But mostly just enjoy the ride for a while before deciding on a repaint or a sell off. Post some pics when it's built.

I'm building my other Pinarello (a older cousin to my blue one you've seen) to try her out as a ss/fg. If i don't like it then will either sell her or the blue one (after swapping over components) depending on which ride i prefer. i've got too many bikes crowding my apartment anyway.
Old 05-05-11, 12:51 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by rat fink
Totally. I love the idea of a nice bike that fits, rides and looks awesome, that isn't so fancy that you worry about it a lot. Sixtyfiver's Ron Cooper seems to be a good example of this; a bike that can be used like a bike. You never intentionally abuse it, but you don't have to fret if it starts raining during an epic ride, you can take unpaved trail 'shortcuts' on a whim, and if one of your friends knocks it over when you are lunching during a group ride, you may be upset, but you don't necessarily feel the compulsion to maim him for disrespecting your precious.

If you knocked over my Cooper you might lose a limb...

This is my precioussss...

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 05-05-11 at 12:58 AM.