Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Tubular Gluing Question

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Tubular Gluing Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 10:42 PM
Handelfan

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tubular Gluing Question

Hey All -

Just bought a set of Neuvation 50mm carbon tubulars for racing. Neuvation are local guys from San Luis Obispo, good customer service.

I have not owned a set of tubulars before (don't worry, I know the pros and cons of tubulars, and even test rode a pair of these wheels for a couple of weeks before pulling the trigger). I was in Art's Cyclery in SLO (not my usual LBS, but the one that had the best selection of tubular tires in stock.) They suggested that I have the shop glue them, as their guy there used to glue the tires for HTC. Now I know it's a business, and that would make them money, but he did have an interesting point.

I have not glued tubulars before. Should I read up (which I have done A LOT of, I don't like to screw up expensive things) and give gluing them a try, or should I pay the shop to glue them for me. They said they would charge $50 per wheel. Advice?
Old 02-05-12, 12:09 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
there is a 125 page thread on weight weenies for just gluing a tub. Lots and lots of info there
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 02-05-12, 04:29 AM
VA_Esquire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about you pay him to glue your tubulars and watch him. In the mean time, go to WW and do some reading.
Old 02-05-12, 06:12 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Handelfan
Hey All -

Just bought a set of Neuvation 50mm carbon tubulars for racing. Neuvation are local guys from San Luis Obispo, good customer service.

I have not owned a set of tubulars before (don't worry, I know the pros and cons of tubulars, and even test rode a pair of these wheels for a couple of weeks before pulling the trigger). I was in Art's Cyclery in SLO (not my usual LBS, but the one that had the best selection of tubular tires in stock.) They suggested that I have the shop glue them, as their guy there used to glue the tires for HTC. Now I know it's a business, and that would make them money, but he did have an interesting point.

I have not glued tubulars before. Should I read up (which I have done A LOT of, I don't like to screw up expensive things) and give gluing them a try, or should I pay the shop to glue them for me. They said they would charge $50 per wheel. Advice?
that's redunkulously expensive. I'd find a new shop. The shop that sponsors me does them for free. Another shops charges me $20.
Old 02-05-12, 12:45 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Learn to do it yourself. If youre going to pay someone to do it, at least have him show you how, step by step. Do a search here, youtube, etc. It needs to be done correctly, obviously, but its not rocket science.
Old 02-05-12, 12:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
That seems like a lot. My LBS charged me $50 for truing and gluing.

It's not rocket science. See if you can google up CDR's blog post about it, plus the WW thread, and do it yourself. What's the worst that can happen? (I kid, I kid!)
Old 02-05-12, 06:13 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...e-tubular.html
Old 02-06-12, 04:21 PM
brianappleby
Senior Member?

Bikes: orbea onix, Cervelo SLC, Specialzed Allez, Cervelo P3 Alu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 to everything. Learn to do it yourself.
My opinion with anything maintenance related is that while the shop guys may have more experience than you, you care about your stuff way more than they do. You'll end up doing a better job than they would because you're willing to take thee time to read up and do it right, and you don't have 80 other bike related tasks to do that day.
Old 02-06-12, 05:11 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
I have glued between 5 and 10 pairs of tubulars myself, and I have never had the job professionally done. One shop near me that serves mainly racers charges $40 per tire; the other more general shop charges $20 per tire. I would bet that there's a difference in what glue they are using, how many coats of glue they apply, plus how much drying time they allow between coats, in addition to general expertise and marketing whatever prestige they have.

In terms of gluing yourself vs. paying, I'd say road tires put points in the doing-it-yourself column, and CX tires put points in the pay-for-it column. Road tires are pretty forgiving of sub-optimal gluing. CX tires are fussier and are more likely to roll if you screw it up.

Anyway, it is a messy job. You are trying to stretch a tight tire over a rim that's covered in tacky glue that will adhere to anything it touches. I felt a large sense of satisfaction when I'd finished the job, but then suffered some agony at times over a bit of tire rise or hop, any waving of tread lines, stray glue, etc.
Old 02-06-12, 05:41 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
there is a 125 page thread on weight weenies for just gluing a tub. Lots and lots of info there
125 pages?!

my race videos
Old 02-06-12, 05:43 PM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried and got 2-3 out of 6 right (one is marginal but it's a TT wheel so I may use it). More practice is needed. I'm having the other 3 done by a pro to see how it's supposed to be. carpediemracing's blog helped me get the last one right. GL
Old 02-06-12, 08:52 PM
king-tony
Ninja don't wear flipflop

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix SL3, BMC TM01...if it every ships

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gluing tubulars is not terribly difficult. You can do it if you put a little time into reading on the techniques used. I think it is more a question of the type of person you are. If you enjoy working on your bike and are patient then I say go for it. If you have kids and every second of your day is already accounted for then you are better off just paying someone and not dealing with it. In that way, it is much like mowing a yard. I know how to mow and I'm sure I could do as good or better than my lawn guy, but I'd rather spend that hour a week on something else.
Old 02-06-12, 08:57 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
$50 per wheel is around double what the rate should be. It's a bit of an art and practice makes perfect but it's not nuerosurgery. If you're mechanically inclined it's pretty easy.
Old 02-07-12, 12:40 AM
Handelfan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I bought the tires and did not pay the shop to do it. I definitely am more the type that enjoys the experience of learning to do it myself. I can use the $100 bucks for having some beer on hand during the process. Though, that would be one expensive brew.....

What i DID do, however, was walk out of there with ALUMINUM rim glue.

Needless to say, I'll be going back to get some for carbon rims.
Old 02-07-12, 06:05 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
There's special glue for carbon rims ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-07-12, 07:27 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
$50 per wheel is around double what the rate should be. It's a bit of an art and practice makes perfect but it's not nuerosurgery. If you're mechanically inclined it's pretty easy.
I'm pretty sure I'd glue just about everything in the house together. My wife has forbidden me from touching the Crazy Glue.
Old 02-07-12, 07:59 AM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
This was my resource for the first time I glued on tires. I'll add get some VPM (varnish and paint makers) Naptha from a hardware store. It will remove the glue from the braking surface without damaging the carbon wheels. Recommended by Psimet and it works great.

Too much glue is better than too little. A wheel truing stand helps as well for applying the glue to the rim.
Old 02-07-12, 12:54 PM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just go to youtube and search for Zipps tubular gluing video. Easy to understand and you will have a nicely set of tires ready to go, in about 3 days!

Last edited by zigmeister; 02-07-12 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-07-12, 10:06 PM
Handelfan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
There's special glue for carbon rims ?
Yeah, I went with the Conti glue, though not with conti tires. (I bought Vittoria Corsa CX 2 tires), based on some things I read, and they make glue for aluminum (the original yellow stuff) and for carbon (in a black tube.)
Old 02-10-12, 02:58 AM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most shops around my area charge 25 per wheel to glue.

I glue my own tubulars now. The worst parts of gluing a tubular for me are, 1 stretching a new tire on and 2 straightening the tire once its stretched on. I would suggest buying a cheap tubular rim and leaving a new tire on there so when it comes time to replace the tire...you won't have to use so much effort to put the new tire on.

I use Vittoria Mastik One to glue my tires. I was told that the Conti glue sets a bit slower so its easier to adjust the tire once its been stretched on.

Vittoria has one glue for both aluminum and carbon rims. Conti has one for each.

Originally Posted by zigmeister
Just go to youtube and search for Zipps tubular gluing video. Easy to understand and you will have a nicely set of tires ready to go, in about 3 days!
I watched that video too...if you follow what they say...it'll take about a week before you get to ride your wheels.

Last edited by I <3 Robots; 02-10-12 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-10-12, 08:24 AM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I stretch my sewups on a spare clincher. Seems to work just fine.
Old 02-10-12, 12:01 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by I <3 Robots
I watched that video too...if you follow what they say...it'll take about a week before you get to ride your wheels.
Yup. I glue mine start to finish in 30 minutes, and ride it the next day.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-10-12, 01:34 PM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not hard, nor is it dangerous if you're patient and have attention to detail.

Two best tips I can convey:
1) Spend the $5 or whatever and get a flat file. Use this to rough up the base tape before you glue.
2) Hold the tire, base-tape-up, by puting a little air in it and pinching it together in the middle. You'll form what looks like a figure-8 (that doesn't overlap). See photo.

Old 02-10-12, 01:50 PM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to thank you for all the tips. It's motivating me to give it another go as I screwed up 3 wheels in my quest for perfection. Cheers
Old 02-10-12, 03:57 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I have to glue at least one tire before March 4th. It looks at me every time I ride the trainer, and I flatted it in August.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.