Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New helmet recommendations?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-18-21, 06:26 AM
Pulse_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Hello,

I'm looking for a new road cycling helmet and my priorities are 1. safety 2. weight. 3. aero. Do you have any recommendation? It's for everyday riding in Belgium .

Many thanks,
Eric
Old 08-18-21, 06:31 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Get one that FITS YOUR Head.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 08-18-21, 07:03 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by Pulse_
Hello,

I'm looking for a new road cycling helmet and my priorities are 1. safety 2. weight. 3. aero. Do you have any recommendation? It's for everyday riding in Belgium .

Many thanks,
Eric
You’ll want a helmet with MIPS technology for sure, so look for that; it will be clearly indicated on the helmet. It’s a safety feature that lets the helmet slide across the head more easily, dissipating sharp rotational (or maybe shear is more accurate) forces.

Aero and low weight will be no problem getting.

You have many good helmet brands in the EU, but I’ll tell you I just grabbed Mavic Comete Ultimate MIPS at a sale price here in the USA, and while I don’t know if was to do with the recent change of ownership at Mavic, you may want look and see if that ones on sale there, too.

The Comete Ultimate is built with EPS 4D foam which is supposed to offer 30% more shock absorption than standard EPS, and even the large size is well under 300g, which I consider the upper limit for a light helmet. I really appreciate the super-clean strap system on the helmet, which uses thin, round cord and slides through the back easily for effortless adjustment.

I love the looks, too:

Old 08-18-21, 07:40 AM
CaptPat1

Bikes: Cannnondale M500

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Get one that FITS YOUR Head.
+1

I just purchased a Bontrager Specter w/Wavecell, IIRC it recieved 5-stars in testing by VA Tech. Seems light enough, easy to adjust with the BOA system/
Old 08-18-21, 07:51 AM
Pulse_

Many thanks for your feedbacks .

Are there brands known to fit oval shaped heads better? I don't have the possibility to test out many models, my LHS carry a very small number of brands.

I saw that Virginia Tech ratings don't give a clear advantage to either SPIN, MIPS, or Wavecell technology. This said the best rated helmets do have one of these features so It's a priority for me. I wear a full face (TLD Stage) in mtb equipped with MIPS.

I love the Mavic Comet! I didn't know that about the foam. Was thinking about the POC Octal MIPS also, is it still up to date? It looks like a mushroom but should fit the bill on paper. As well as the MET Rivale or Tantra for example. The Abus Aibraker and Lazer Genesis are also on my list.

Last edited by Pulse_; 08-18-21 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-18-21, 08:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ormchaser.html

I bought a dozen helmets over the span of 5 or so months. Some comments from me and others are in the thread above.

SPIN, MIPS, Wavecell- they all attempt to do the same thing. And because there is so much variability in your head hitting the ground(angle, speed, point of impact, etc) that means there isnt a clear tech that is better than the others.
That tech is only good for 1 type of impact, and its been theorized on forums that having hair and/or a cycling cap does the same thing as those techs.

I ended up keeping the Abus Stormchaser and MET Rivale MIPS.
- The Abus Stormchaser is crazy light. Like really light. The straps easily disconnect for cleaning, the fixed straps lay flat, it is vented enough for me, and glasses stay put when stored and looking down. Padding is mininmal, but I dont notice that in use as I wear a cycling cap with it.
- The MET Rivale is really nicely finished and easy to use(some helmets are fiddly to put on). It has MIPS, its well vented, and padding is good for comfort without a cap. The straps lay flat which is key, and glasses stay put when stored and looking down. The chin strap is meant to easily loosen/tighten so you give a quick tug each time you put it on, which is different from most helmets, but I like it. The extra length of strap is contained well with a band.

These were both ordered from Europe and shipped to me, so its good that I happened to like them the most since returning wouldnt have been the easiest/cheapest. I really wanted to like the POC Ventral Air SPIN because of the quality, but I am between sizes and the larger size made me look like Toad from Mario.
One to consider- Giro implements MIPS into a couple of their helmets not by adding a liner, but by building it into the shell. Giro Aether Spherical for example is really nice. I bought one to try out for fitting and the strap just wasnt long enough. The helmet itself was fantastic. Something to consider- the tech being built into the helmet is really slick.
Old 08-18-21, 09:25 AM
Pulse_

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ormchaser.html

I bought a dozen helmets over the span of 5 or so months. Some comments from me and others are in the thread above.

SPIN, MIPS, Wavecell- they all attempt to do the same thing. And because there is so much variability in your head hitting the ground(angle, speed, point of impact, etc) that means there isnt a clear tech that is better than the others.
That tech is only good for 1 type of impact, and its been theorized on forums that having hair and/or a cycling cap does the same thing as those techs.

- The Abus Stormchaser is crazy light. Like really light. The straps easily disconnect for cleaning, the fixed straps lay flat, it is vented enough for me, and glasses stay put when stored and looking down. Padding is mininmal, but I dont notice that in use as I wear a cycling cap with it.
- The MET Rivale is really nicely finished and easy to use(some helmets are fiddly to put on). It has MIPS, its well vented, and padding is good for comfort without a cap. The straps lay flat which is key, and glasses stay put when stored and looking down. The chin strap is meant to easily loosen/tighten so you give a quick tug each time you put it on, which is different from most helmets, but I like it. The extra length of strap is contained well with a band.

These were both ordered from Europe and shipped to me, so its good that I happened to like them the most since returning wouldnt have been the easiest/cheapest. I really wanted to like the POC Ventral Air SPIN because of the quality, but I am between sizes and the larger size made me look like Toad from Mario.
One to consider- Giro implements MIPS into a couple of their helmets not by adding a liner, but by building it into the shell. Giro Aether Spherical for example is really nice. I bought one to try out for fitting and the strap just wasnt long enough. The helmet itself was fantastic. Something to consider- the tech being built into the helmet is really slick.
Good to know about the Rivale. I really like the design also. And the price is on point considering the features. POC in comparison is expensive and I don't know if the build quality matches their price tag. I kind of like their mushroom look actually, but tastes are no debate.
Old 08-18-21, 09:29 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
For "everyday riding", pretty much any helmet with MIPS is a great choice. Here's Virginia Tech's helmet safety ratings, which seem to be highly regarded (although some debate their testing):
https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html Note that there's little relationship between safety and the price of the helmet.

I currently own and recommend:
Bell Z20/Zephyr MIPS - great fit, top ranked safety, low profile, superb ventilation
Lazer Sphere MIPS - less expensive, nice looking, great fit, top ranked safety.

Kask does not offer MIPS but to me they make the highest quality, best fitting and best looking helmets. Their pricing is a bit steep, though. I currently own both a Utopia and Protone, they're both great. Depending on your definition, these might not helmets for "everyday riding" though.

I personally don't recommend the Wavecel helmets. I had both the Specter and XXX at different points, both fit me well but I found them to be way too hot which is an instant deal killer for me. Also, the strap system on the Specter kept loosening on me on rides which got old quickly.
Old 08-18-21, 09:32 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
I just got a Smith. Very happy with it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08134M14B...roduct_details
Old 08-18-21, 09:32 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
These were both ordered from Europe and shipped to me, so its good that I happened to like them the most since returning wouldnt have been the easiest/cheapest.
Yeah, I really like both of these helmets, but neither is (officially) sold in the US. You'll need to import either one, which may be a negative for some people.
Old 08-18-21, 09:54 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
I'm very happy with my new Scott Centric Plus - light, comfortable, and 5-star safety rating (Virginia Tech test), second-gen MIPS. However, my priority was ventilation more than aero. I tried on top-level helmets from Lazer, Kask, Specialized, Giro, Bell, Smith, and Scott. The Scott was immediately recognized as the right fit for my head. I had an Abus Aventor for a couple of weeks. It was decent, but was noticeably warm due to a lack of air flow at the forehead. I like the Scott better in every way for my needs.
Old 08-18-21, 10:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Yeah, I really like both of these helmets, but neither is (officially) sold in the US. You'll need to import either one, which may be a negative for some people.
True. As mentioned, I lucked out that the two which would be the least convenient to return were the two I liked the most. All others were from Amazon or WesternBike so its free shipping and returns.
I also recognize that I am overly picky in this one area, and its really mostly that I am overly picky with a certain few parts of a helmet. I am definitely an outlier here and went to an admittedly goofy extent in order to get helmets I like.

Forgot to mention- some Abus helmets are available on amazon, the Viantor and Aventor, which are lower road models.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 08-18-21 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-18-21, 02:43 PM
Pulse_

Originally Posted by Hiro11
For "everyday riding", pretty much any helmet with MIPS is a great choice. Here's Virginia Tech's helmet safety ratings, which seem to be highly regarded (although some debate their testing):
https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html Note that there's little relationship between safety and the price of the helmet.

I currently own and recommend:
Bell Z20/Zephyr MIPS - great fit, top ranked safety, low profile, superb ventilation
Lazer Sphere MIPS - less expensive, nice looking, great fit, top ranked safety.

Kask does not offer MIPS but to me they make the highest quality, best fitting and best looking helmets. Their pricing is a bit steep, though. I currently own both a Utopia and Protone, they're both great. Depending on your definition, these might not helmets for "everyday riding" though.

I personally don't recommend the Wavecel helmets. I had both the Specter and XXX at different points, both fit me well but I found them to be way too hot which is an instant deal killer for me. Also, the strap system on the Specter kept loosening on me on rides which got old quickly.
I really like these brands, Bell and Lazer. My girlfriend has a Bell Stratus and is very satisfied with it. We chose it based on Virgina Tech ratings, there was a big sale at the time and bought it for half the original price. I dig the Lazer Genesis also which looks awesome. Clean lines, nice features. Not cheap but great in just about every area. The Protone looks pro and I read good things too, the only thing is the lack of MIPS. It's hard to me to put this amount and deal with the lack of added safety. It might not be justified (?).

Wavecells are oriented in a way the ventilation is partly obstructed. And it looks a bit weird.. I wonder how it lasts in the long run too. I like some HJC helmets also, especially the aero versions but again no MIPS..
Old 08-18-21, 02:49 PM
Pulse_

Originally Posted by pgjackson
I just got a Smith. Very happy with it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08134M14B...roduct_details
Now that's cheap for a helmet with MIPS! Bell have some lower end and cheap models too . The only thing is weight. 300g is a bit on the heavy side IMO but nothing prohibitive.
Old 08-18-21, 02:55 PM
Pulse_

True. As mentioned, I lucked out that the two which would be the least convenient to return were the two I liked the most. All others were from Amazon or WesternBike so its free shipping and returns.
I also recognize that I am overly picky in this one area, and its really mostly that I am overly picky with a certain few parts of a helmet. I am definitely an outlier here and went to an admittedly goofy extent in order to get helmets I like.

Forgot to mention- some Abus helmets are available on amazon, the Viantor and Aventor, which are lower road models.
I'm in the same boat. I do the same for shoes or motorcycling clothes. One time I ordered 12 pairs of running shoes and kept 3 of them only to make sure the size/shape was ok. Free returns are common, and with covid many shops were closed for a long time so that was the best option. I actually never regretted to be picky myself. It's boring for my entourage but when I buy something at least I know I'm sure why I keep it. I only buy a product if I could accept to keep it forever and having to stick with it. If not, it's not worth it. This approach helped me to spare massive amounts of money in the long run.
Old 08-18-21, 03:16 PM
pgjackson

Now that's cheap for a helmet with MIPS! Bell have some lower end and cheap models too . The only thing is weight. 300g is a bit on the heavy side IMO but nothing prohibitive.
You might be able to save 50-100 grams by spending three times as much or more.
Old 08-18-21, 03:25 PM
Pulse_

Originally Posted by pgjackson
You might be able to save 50-100 grams by spending three times as much or more.
Not necessarily, MET Rivale MIPS is 250g in M (cyclist.co.uk weighted it at 242g actually) and can be found for 115€..
Old 08-18-21, 03:38 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Don't forget Specialized Helmets with ANGi crash detection system. If you ride alone or in areas with limited population. The helmet tracks your location and notifies your contacts should a crash be detected. It is another layer of protection, I know someone had a bad crash on a trail and was severely concussed along with other injuries. Could not operate phone nor verbalize location post-crash, had to rely on someone who came down the trail an unknown period of time later. That sold the concept for me.
Old 08-18-21, 03:58 PM
pgjackson

Not necessarily, MET Rivale MIPS is 250g in M (cyclist.co.uk weighted it at 242g actually) and can be found for 115€..
You are correct. That's only twice as expensive.
Old 08-18-21, 07:20 PM
vascof1

Bikes: Canyon Endurace AL 7

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have the non MIPS Met Rivale. Amazing helmet with adequate ventillation and fits comfortably.
Old 08-18-21, 09:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I'm satisfied with the Bell Formula MIPS after three years. Great value for the features and attention to detail. It's a much better value than my POC Omne Air SPIN, which is a good helmet but not a great value compared with the Bell.

The Bell is fully finished with hard polycarbonate around the lower edge, covering the soft EPS foam. The POC isn't -- the EPS foam is exposed on the lower edge. Not a huge deal in practical use, just an example of Bell going the extra mile. And the MIPS harness is much more elaborate than SPIN. POC's SPIN is just a slightly refined harness and some better than average detachable padding strips.

The MIPS does work as described. It would take too long to explain how I know. But while riding as sweep/tailgunner on a group ride, I was clobbered on the top of the Bell Formula MIPS by an oddly place railroad crossing arm (much farther away from the tracks than usual, and I had stopped a safe distance from the tracks) that I didn't see and which came down unexpectedly -- the train was still at least half a mile away and barely moving, and the warning bell and lights had only just sounded, so I didn't have time to move. Anyway, the crossing arm bonked off the top of the helmet, the helmet dislodged very slightly to the side while the harness stayed put. Didn't hurt, barely felt any impact. Not even a scratch to the helmet. The group I was with couldn't believe it was no worse than that.

I'd happily get the Bell Stratus or Z20 based on my experience with the lower priced Formula, although I'm not sure there's enough difference in weight, etc, to justify the higher prices. Although Googling around just now, it appears the 2020 higher prices have dropped a bit and the Stratus and Z20 are more affordable now.

One thing I do like about the POC is they sit lower around the skull and provide more protection to the sides and occipital region. And some ABUS helmets appear to be similarly designed, with an inward taper that might help with peripheral vision above the eyebrows when in the drops or on aero bars. The POC Omne Air SPIN brow is visible in my upper peripheral view when I'm in the drops, and it sits too low for use with aero bars.

I also have a Catlike Mixino, which is very lightweight, very minimalist, but too small for me so I can't say how it fits. I'm giving it to a friend.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-19-21, 01:57 AM
Pulse_

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Don't forget Specialized Helmets with ANGi crash detection system. If you ride alone or in areas with limited population. The helmet tracks your location and notifies your contacts should a crash be detected. It is another layer of protection, I know someone had a bad crash on a trail and was severely concussed along with other injuries. Could not operate phone nor verbalize location post-crash, had to rely on someone who came down the trail an unknown period of time later. That sold the concept for me.
Very good point I'm aware of the system but I think you can buy it separately from the helmet or am I wrong?
Old 08-19-21, 02:56 AM
Pulse_

Originally Posted by canklecat
I'm satisfied with the Bell Formula MIPS after three years. Great value for the features and attention to detail. It's a much better value than my POC Omne Air SPIN, which is a good helmet but not a great value compared with the Bell.

The Bell is fully finished with hard polycarbonate around the lower edge, covering the soft EPS foam. The POC isn't -- the EPS foam is exposed on the lower edge. Not a huge deal in practical use, just an example of Bell going the extra mile. And the MIPS harness is much more elaborate than SPIN. POC's SPIN is just a slightly refined harness and some better than average detachable padding strips.

The MIPS does work as described. It would take too long to explain how I know. But while riding as sweep/tailgunner on a group ride, I was clobbered on the top of the Bell Formula MIPS by an oddly place railroad crossing arm (much farther away from the tracks than usual, and I had stopped a safe distance from the tracks) that I didn't see and which came down unexpectedly -- the train was still at least half a mile away and barely moving, and the warning bell and lights had only just sounded, so I didn't have time to move. Anyway, the crossing arm bonked off the top of the helmet, the helmet dislodged very slightly to the side while the harness stayed put. Didn't hurt, barely felt any impact. Not even a scratch to the helmet. The group I was with couldn't believe it was no worse than that.

I'd happily get the Bell Stratus or Z20 based on my experience with the lower priced Formula, although I'm not sure there's enough difference in weight, etc, to justify the higher prices. Although Googling around just now, it appears the 2020 higher prices have dropped a bit and the Stratus and Z20 are more affordable now.

One thing I do like about the POC is they sit lower around the skull and provide more protection to the sides and occipital region. And some ABUS helmets appear to be similarly designed, with an inward taper that might help with peripheral vision above the eyebrows when in the drops or on aero bars. The POC Omne Air SPIN brow is visible in my upper peripheral view when I'm in the drops, and it sits too low for use with aero bars.

I also have a Catlike Mixino, which is very lightweight, very minimalist, but too small for me so I can't say how it fits. I'm giving it to a friend.
Excellent feedback, thanks!

Basically I'm looking for:
- MIPS system
- <250g weight
- great covering (you are absolutely correct about the ABUS and POC helmets which sit lower around the skull)
- polycarbonate protection around the lower edge of the helmet
- bright colors available (or white)

I read POC developed a partnership with Volvo which is the leader in car safety: https://group.volvocars.com/news/saf...rates-with-poc . It should help. I'm seeing the prices of the POC Octal MIPS dropped quite a bit considering it's not their latest model. Apart from the bulky look it ticks all the boxes. And it has a great ventilation too.
Old 08-19-21, 01:32 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Pulse_ how close do you live to Audergem? The Specialized store (Hotwheelz) there has lots of helmets, all specialized of course, but you could try all the models to see what fits your head best. I’ve crashed 3 Specialized helmets in the last 2 years, very hard at high speed in two instances. No concussions. You get what you pay for in my opinion.
Old 08-19-21, 04:18 PM
Pulse_

Originally Posted by Badger6
Pulse_ how close do you live to Audergem? The Specialized store (Hotwheelz) there has lots of helmets, all specialized of course, but you could try all the models to see what fits your head best. I’ve crashed 3 Specialized helmets in the last 2 years, very hard at high speed in two instances. No concussions. You get what you pay for in my opinion.
6km Happy to see someone coming from Belgium too. I might go to this shop this week-end, it's worth trying a few helmets out! Thanks for your suggestion

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.