Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Solo travelling and theft-protection

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Solo travelling and theft-protection

Old 08-24-21, 09:37 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by debade
Lots of good tips. One I have not seen yet. Ortlieb has a thin metal cord that attaches to the pannier which you can lock to the rack. It would not be hard to cut with the right tool. But it would prevent someone walking by and pulling it off the bike.

i am not sure what a sketchy area is. I do feel that bike thefts happen more where there are a lot of bikers. A bigger market.
Colleges, and Cities.
Old 08-24-21, 10:09 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Lots of good advice here.

I used to use the 'politely stupid' strategy when I wanted to bring my bike into a store. When they ask you to take the bike outside, respond as if you don't understand what they want, but that you believe you are complying.

Store attendant: "Could you please leave your bike outside?"
Me: "It's ok. Thanks, though!"
Store attendant: "Sorry, but you can't bring your bike in here!"
Me: "No need to be sorry, friend! It's OK!"

I can usually keep this up long enough that I can get my goods to the cash and be ready to pay, and they assume I am an idiot* and that arguing will serve no purpose.

*probably a good assumption
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 08-26-21, 05:09 AM
Cheeseftw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll keep your tips in mind for sure.

People have commented on the packing volume now so I'm getting a bit concerned. I'm opening another thread now to discuss that further and hopefully gather some advice. If you want to have a closer look at my packing list there and share you input I'd appreciate that!
Old 08-27-21, 08:40 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 421 Posts
Take advantage of the local fire departments. There is someone always there and they would have no problem in having you leave your bike inside while you explore the city. You might even get a free meal, hot shower and a bed. I’ve been a firefighter for 23 years and we’ve had more than a few overnight guests.
Old 08-28-21, 04:53 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 49 Posts
I used to worry about someone stealing some of my stuff, but now my whole rig is so road-worn that most people give it a wide berth, probably afraid something is going to jump out at them. Either that or they assume it must belong to a homeless addict. Wipe all your stuff down with a rag covered in road filth and sweat and you won't have much trouble with anyone wanting to steal anything.
Likes For Thulsadoom:
Old 08-28-21, 08:02 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Take a small cable lock and always lock your bike up when you leave it. Even if you are popping into a shop for 10 secs take the time to lock your bike. Most bike thieves are opportunistic so you'll stop those, but realistically you can't stop a committed thieve so don't worry about them. Also you can't protect all your gear so have a handle bar bag where you keep stuff like your wallet that you cannot afford to lose and take that with you whenever you leave your bike.

You might also look into a gps with an audible alarm
Likes For nun:
Old 10-03-21, 09:22 AM
CrepitusCritch

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pannier security

Ortlieb do a security cable that attaches to your panniers and allows them to be locked to the rack. They retract out of site when not in use. I tried to attach a photo of mine but this is my first post and therefore unable. Sorry.
Old 10-03-21, 06:13 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
In addition to "sketchy" it seems that sometimes "bike friendly" means high theft risk because there is a ready market for used bikes.
Old 10-03-21, 06:21 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
I can maybe count on both hands the number of times I locked my bike while it was out of my sight during my recent tour. Most of those times were in Burlington, VT. SOP for me.
Old 01-29-22, 11:26 PM
catfish
have bike will tour

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek 520, Trek 2120

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Theft

My take on this is pretty dated. I toured from 2000 to 2003. I mostly toured solo. If I camped in a town park or state park Id lock the bike to picnic table so I didn’t have to think about it while
sleeping.

i had a handle bar bag i kept my wallet phone and travel checks in. This bad detached easy and hd a shoulder strap. I kept this bag with me never left on the bike. I also had a “fanny” pack if didn’t t want to cary the H B bag.

most times at cafes or grocery stops Id just lean the bike up against a wall. If the area looked sketchy I didn't stop or locked it.

most times I was alone untill I got to the west coast. I met some other cyclists out touring and developed friendships. We didnt ride together all day every day but usually met up some
place to camp and resupply we watched each other’s stuff like I said this was all 20 years ago things are perhaps different now. Go with your gut feeling happy miles to you
Catfish
Old 01-30-22, 07:58 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Well Mr or Mrs cheese, lots of solid recommendations here from a lot of experienced bike travelers.
The only thing I'd add is that a reasonable coil lock is very handy because you can easily lock your bike to itself, through handle loops of your panniers, to a tree, to a picnic bench, whatever.
I always lock my bike in a campground and bring my bags in tent, both take seconds and your stuff is with you. It's a no brainer.

be observant and learn to assess.
have fun
Likes For djb:
Old 01-30-22, 07:09 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by CrepitusCritch
Ortlieb do a security cable that attaches to your panniers and allows them to be locked to the rack. They retract out of site when not in use. I tried to attach a photo of mine but this is my first post and therefore unable. Sorry.
I made some light cable security cables for my Ortlieb Roller front and rear bags. The cable is only 3/32", but it will stop an opportunistic thief. My wife's Packer Plus panniers were outfitted with the security cables from Ortlieb. They did not make any for the Roller series of bags.

We left our bikes cabled to this wooden fence in a Swiss campground for an entire day while we took a train, actually 2 trains, to see a mountain I'd dreamed of climbing since I was a kid. A hard kick would have knocked the rails off the fence posts. It was safer than leaving the bikes at the train station; and it was only a 2-mile walk from the CG to town. We left before dawn, and returned well after dark. I think situational awareness is important, but it could lead to a bad call.

The North Face of the Eiger- it was just nice to see it

Last edited by Doug64; 01-31-22 at 12:11 AM.
Likes For Doug64: