Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Roswheel Bikepacking saddle bag

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Roswheel Bikepacking saddle bag

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-17, 04:46 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I carry a step-stool.

Old 10-18-17, 08:48 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
Yep, I'm happy with my Bruce Gordon racks and a trunk bag for light loads and Axiom panniers for touring loads. Was just curious how those who do use high seat bags mount their bikes. Possibly the younger riders with more flexibility?
Originally Posted by djb
on a trip this year I used a large rack pack, big dry bag thing, on top of my panniers, and I sometimes would forget and catch my foot on it. I think I ended up usually doing the step over thing, I just did what was easiest and intuitive.

My frame has a lower sloping toptube so that helps, but I am in my mid 50s, and don't know if I am more flexible than any other 50 yr old, but I aint fat.

again, if you have limitations, then you will work out what method works best for you. The step over toptube method would certainly be easier with just a seat bag, as you could easily lean the bike. My bike was always kept more or less straight, as I was carrying a hefty load, and like I said, I aint fat.
Well, I'm in my mid 40s, and I am fat, and not particularly flexible, but I have a sloping top tube, so I lean the bike a little until I can step over the top tube.

IMG_20170524_125401 by rob e, on Flickr
Old 10-18-17, 12:51 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
... I lean the bike a little until I can step over the top tube.
Heh! You must have a stool among all that stuff like NoControl does!
Old 10-18-17, 01:21 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I used to carry a six-foot step-ladder, but I decided to go with ultralight gear...

Old 10-18-17, 04:24 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
holy kadoodles Bob, thats a lot of stuff!
Hey, if it works for you, great. I too have a troll and really like it, they're great bikes arent they? I used the whole 4 panniers, rackbag and handlebar bag route, but you win the height award for your top, rear mounted bag there.
cheers
Old 10-18-17, 04:33 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
That's RobE's bike, not BobG's. I'm still looking for the rope ladder that allows the pilot to come aboard!
Old 10-18-17, 04:45 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
sorry, Im all mixed up with my robs and bobs.
Old 10-19-17, 08:36 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Hey, if it works for you, great. I too have a troll and really like it, they're great bikes arent they? I used the whole 4 panniers, rackbag and handlebar bag route, but you win the height award for your top, rear mounted bag there.
cheers
I love that bike. My preferred set-up is a rear rack with panniers and my handlebar roll, but on this particular trip I had to get everything into my airline luggage, and the rack would not co-operate, so I went with a seatpost bag. This trip also started out with four days of camping in the same place, so there's a fair amount of gear that was just needed for the camping trip, and after that it got mailed home so I could travel a little lighter. But not that much lighter. That cooler/seatbag combo stayed on for another week, so I got to start every morning with a nice stretch.
Old 11-08-17, 07:39 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Just a little follow up after receiving this bag...
The bag seems well made and looks like it will hold up well. It mounts firmly and holds a lot more of my gear than I expected. I am pretty excited about it.

I test loaded it with my bivy, tarp, sleeping pad, pillow, toiletry bag, wind shirt, and wind pants. It was pretty much full, I could still slip in some small and/or very compressible things, but not much more. FWIW, with all of that in it it came in at almost 5 pounds.

I should qualify this by saying that all of that gear was picked for light weight and small packed size. On the other hand it is gear that I use even when it gets below freezing at night. It is similar to what I used on the ST for an early February- early March trip.

I did find that it was more free to sway side to side with the straps used the way they look like they are intended to be used. I used the shoulder strap to provide another cinch around the bag and it helped a lot.

The gear shown is as follows:
top row -Toiletries, sleeping bag, bivy, wind shirt and pants
bottom row - sleeping pad and pillow, tarp

That leaves some clothing, cooking stuff, and the little tool bag looking for a place to go. It would all fit in a bar roll or small backpack. Stuff could also go on the lashing on the seat bag If going where I need to carry much food, the food would go in a little backpack. I plan to shop for some kind of little tool bag, maybe one that goes on the top tube.

Last edited by staehpj1; 11-08-17 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-08-17, 08:58 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Waterproofness would be my main concern for that seatpack.
Old 11-09-17, 11:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Thanks for the follow up and review- helps a lot of people googling around for packing options.
That looks a lot better made than I figured.
Old 11-13-17, 11:25 AM
lovemachine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Further update

So the zipper on top will fail if you attempt to use it with a tightly packed bag. Probably my fault for trying to force it so I wanted to warn people. Also the taillight tab is not up to the task of keeping my beloved Cycgolite hotshot on the bag on bumpy singletrack. It still kind of like this bag though.
Old 11-14-17, 06:19 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by nightshade18
Erm.....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FTNFDfuIlHP9lIqt2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YhKJunQywnnQ9VqJ3

Do these work? I can see the picture in the thread above, but I'm still finding my way in the post 'photobucket disaster world'!

Both of these were packed loosely though, the sag is better when packed correctly
Originally Posted by lovemachine
So the zipper on top will fail if you attempt to use it with a tightly packed bag. Probably my fault for trying to force it so I wanted to warn people. Also the taillight tab is not up to the task of keeping my beloved Cycgolite hotshot on the bag on bumpy singletrack. It still kind of like this bag though.
I wonder if we are all talking about the same bag. Nightshade's pictures look like a different bag than I have and lovemachine mentions a zipper. I didn't see a zipper on mine. I am not near it to check right now, but I am pretty sure there is no zipper on mine.
Old 11-14-17, 11:31 AM
lovemachine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This "Roswheel" bag is the same bag I see with different names or no name at all on it on ebay, alibaba and other sites. Mine has the huge logo running diagonally and wallet sized zippered pocket on top. I believe these are different revisions of the same product. Same materials, same straps in the same orientation, same light tab etc. I can't say if mine would be the old or the new revision. If I am wrong and muddied the waters I apologize and I don't believe this bag had a model name when I bought it.
Old 11-14-17, 05:28 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by lovemachine
This "Roswheel" bag is the same bag I see with different names or no name at all on it on ebay, alibaba and other sites. Mine has the huge logo running diagonally and wallet sized zippered pocket on top. I believe these are different revisions of the same product. Same materials, same straps in the same orientation, same light tab etc. I can't say if mine would be the old or the new revision. If I am wrong and muddied the waters I apologize and I don't believe this bag had a model name when I bought it.
They may be different versions from the same company, but they look quite different to me. The lash cord arrangement vs the zippered pocket are one thing. The straps also look different to me. Maybe it is just how it is packed, but the bag shape looks different too (mine looks more tapered).

Just going by the posted pictures though and I could be wrong.
Old 11-21-17, 08:34 PM
njcmap99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, may i ask how much clearance do u need for this bag?
(how much length between the seat's most rear point to the wheels)
Old 11-22-17, 05:38 AM
staehpj1

I am not at home and won't be for a few days so I can't measure for you.
Old 11-22-17, 07:29 AM
njcmap99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not at home and won't be for a few days so I can't measure for you.
its ok
what do u estimate it is
Old 11-24-17, 02:28 PM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
Well, I'm in my mid 40s, and I am fat, and not particularly flexible, but I have a sloping top tube, so I lean the bike a little until I can step over the top tube.

IMG_20170524_125401 by rob e, on Flickr
That's awesome. Can't believe you attached a bag on the seatbag. LOL.

I like how you don't bother go light and not forgetting the Troll figure.

I'm on the lighter side of packing things, but I like how you pack your stuff.
Old 08-27-19, 08:19 AM
staehpj1

I don't usually like reviving old threads, but am finally thinking about actually going on a tour using this tail bag (Pensacola to St Augustine late winter). I figured I'd ask if anyone had any further comments on this bag after having used it for a while.

I am planning on another ultralight camping tour (10-ish pound base) picking up where I left off on my previous ST trip. I plan to ride on the same 1990 Cannondale Crit bike, but may convert the drive train back to the original configuration since while there are hills there are no mountains in Florida. It currently has an improvised 39/26 ultra compact double (actually a triple with the big ring removed). The conversion back to original isn't a slam dunk though. I am still debating that.