Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A Friendly Gesture - Gifted an Early '80s Pro-Miyata

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A Friendly Gesture - Gifted an Early '80s Pro-Miyata

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-21, 09:18 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
They certainly look wider than classic "pencil stays" to my eye. When I get the bike to my apartment for the restoration I'll measure them compared to a couple other frames I have handy.

-Gregory
catalog notes they pulled some features from the miyata Aero "We adopted many of the Aero Miyata features to this bicycle. Our aero dynamic tear shaped frame tubes reduce wind resistance. Even the water bottle and frame pump are designed to reduce wind drag."

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-19-21, 09:30 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Lovely

Small looking 60, almost looks like a 58
I assumed it was a 58cm frame and asked before I committed, but he said 60 so I went to get it and so it was! It's measured center-to-top, so in my British bike mentality that would make this a 23.5" frame, which is only half an inch smaller than my ideal setup.

-Gregory
Old 02-19-21, 10:13 PM
AUPedla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 32 Posts
That is an amazing gift. I was only just reading about your bike in the Japanese Steel book. A great read with lots of very nice bike pics and info.
https://pezcyclingnews.com/features/...apanese-steel/

Likes For AUPedla:
Old 02-20-21, 03:50 AM
BakinaRakija

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
So good to see people being kind to one another!
Likes For BakinaRakija:
Old 02-20-21, 03:46 PM
AUPedla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 32 Posts
What's the serial number underneath the BB? J = built in 81 = 82 model, K = built in 82 = 83 model.
Old 07-03-22, 09:21 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by AUPedla
What's the serial number underneath the BB? J = built in 81 = 82 model, K = built in 82 = 83 model.
Coming back to this thread I can answer that it starts with a J so 1981 it is! Thank you for that information.

I finally started tinkering with the Pro-Miyata, it's got some surface rust and outright corrosion around the bottom bracket and some of the other joints but I plan to carefully wire brush and sand it all down to make sure everything is kosher before re-priming and painting those parts. I will probably replace the decals as well since they aren't under a clear coat. I want to avoid repainting the entire frame but it if comes to that then I will mask off the chromed dropouts and probably have it powder coated as closely to the original blue as possible. I doubt I'll invest in the original-spec wheelset unless if someone is interested in selling me some first-generation Superbe low-profile hubs with Araya rims. Otherwise, I am in the process of purchasing the original spec Nitto Mod. 55 handlebars (these Cinelli replacements are too wide for me) and Tange Ritzy headset.

Will post more updates as things progress. I got it from point A, which shows how it fits for me, to point B on the parts shelf... Cheers!

-Gregory

Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 07-04-22, 09:25 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
That is going to ride so good!!! I have the 1980 I think. Same size and saddle position even.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-10-23, 04:00 PM
Kilroy1988 

Okay, back to this one! Had it stripped and powder coated a while back, the fellows made a decent attempt to save the chrome dropouts per my instructions, but the adjusters were toasted in the process... This is as it appears after the process, I still need to take a razorblade to a lot of the edges to clean things up.

I have a full set of reproduction decals waiting to re-apply after I get the gold paint back on the headtube!

-Gregory