Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Calorie Question

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Calorie Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 07:42 AM
nlel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Calorie Question

I’m on a calorie controlled diet and find I don’t have the energy to do 30 minutes on the bike in one session anymore. So is doing 3x 10 minute rides the same as one 30 minute.
Old 04-21-21, 08:21 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
They are if you do them with the same effort.
Old 04-21-21, 08:29 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
My guess is that splitting your workouts isn't quite the same, but 30 minutes is barely enough to get your body interested anyway.

That doesn't sound like a good diet to me.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-21-21, 08:30 AM
nlel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
They are if you do them with the same effort.
Thanks I did 3x 10 minute sessions. Overall I burned about 200 calories according to my bike. Same as if I did 30 minutes in one go.
Likes For nlel:
Old 04-21-21, 08:32 AM
nlel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
By calorie controlled I mean I’m no longer having a whole pizza and cake or brownie from the takeaway every night.
Old 04-21-21, 09:18 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Is fruit part of your diet? I like to have some fruit (banana is always good) before I ride on the trainer which gives me some good energy for a 45-60 minute ride. Any longer than that and I like to have some drink with electrolytes handy to replenish the gallons of liquids I lose. Especially during a climb.
Old 04-21-21, 09:28 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I would budget some calories for before your ride. Riding fasted is a thing people do, but I find it somewhat unpleasant.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-21-21, 01:32 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
I would budget some calories for before your ride. Riding fasted is a thing people do, but I find it somewhat unpleasant.
you get used to it.
Likes For spelger:
Old 04-21-21, 01:49 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
My guess is that splitting your workouts isn't quite the same, but 30 minutes is barely enough to get your body interested anyway.

Yeah if the diet does that there is some deciding to do.

On my diet I can go days without eating with little or no impact on my ability to perform my usual physical activity or even more.

Starving would impact the ability to do stuff, but I'm not sure that the OP is actually starving?
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 04-21-21, 03:40 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by spelger
you get used to it.
In 2019, I rode the second half of a 400 km brevet on almost no calories because I managed to get my stomach upset. Not for lack of trying to eat, unfortunately. There was one point with 20 miles to go where I didn't think I could ride up another hill, but I did, albeit slowly. So all the fasted riding I did payed off, and that's why I did it in the first place. But the OP doesn't seem to be able to handle 30 minutes of probably not so fasted conditions. In general, however, I'm less worried about what harm he might do to himself and more about making the small amount of riding he is doing worthwhile.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-21-21, 04:26 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
It could be a nutritional issue or you could simply be having a hard time with a 30 min session ndue to.. Fitness
Old 04-21-21, 04:49 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

FWIW I do all my riding fasted. Caloric deficit alone shouldn't cause the inability to do some work.
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 04-21-21, 05:02 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by Bearhawker
FWIW I do all my riding fasted. Caloric deficit alone shouldn't cause the inability to do some work.
It lowers your performance though, and this is easy to measure. I am not saying you can't exercise while fasting, and have no idea if it's harmful to you. But your performance fasted doesn't match what you could be doing with proper eating. Which will mean that the exercise you are getting isn't as beneficial. In the extreme, it will cause muscle wasting. I need to keep all my muscle because I'm old enough my body doesn't build muscle as fast any more.
Old 04-22-21, 10:46 AM
Bearhawker

Not arguing extremes. In my personal experience I tend to gain weight on fasted rides of 100+ km/day when I eat OMAD, at approximately 1/5 calories consumed vs cycling computer guesstimates of calories burned. Haven't done it for more than 3 consecutive days and I don't race. Gaining weight on a significant caloric deficit doesn't sound like muscle wasting to me. fat wasting for sure! Again - nothing extreme, no extended anaerobic efforts.

For me, this *is* "proper eating" as I don't tend to react well to combining eating and riding (or any other heavy exercise). I used to be able to do it when I ate carbs, but can't now. Good thing I don't need to.
Old 04-22-21, 11:39 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
While on the subject, is there any good resources (books, sites, videos, etc...) on nutrition and riding? I'm not talking about training for the TDF but to prepare for short ride and/or long ride with the understanding I am in my 50's, some what fit. I play hockey, worked out (when I could go to gyms), ride, used to run, etc...

I was watching a recent GCN video where two lads (Hank and Connor) go out on a 140 km ride, while one ate nothing the entire ride and the other consuming loads of energy bars and drinks. They were analyzing their glycerin levels to see how it affected performance and how long it would take the rider fasting, to crash from low sugar levels.
Old 04-22-21, 11:52 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
sounds like you want to burn calories, and that begs for "long, slow, steady." don't think 3x10. think 30 with 2 breaks, long as you want. gradually shorten the breaks. gradually increase the effort. reeeeeally gradually. let your body learn to like it (it will, given its own time). in a few weeks, you'll be in a very different place and will laugh at how far you've come. in a few more, you'll say "wow, I couldn't even do 30 back then..." just stay at it with small, incremental increases and, really, nature takes care of the rest.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 04-22-21, 12:06 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by nlel
...is doing 3x 10 minute rides the same as one 30 minute.
I'm not a nutritionist, so this is just my understanding. Splitting a ride (of any length/duration) will incur extra warm-up and cool-down times that will cut into your warmed-up riding time, so you'll be expending less energy during those warm-ups, than if you rode all the way through. And on longer rides, say 3 hours, if you split that up into 3x1 hr rides, in those 1 hr rides you will also not be depleting the glycogen in your muscle and liver stores, since that typically takes about 1.5 hours of contiguous riding to deplete those stores, which is the typical point your body will start burning more fat for fuel. So if you only ride for 1 hr, (instead of the full 3 hours) you won't get the best fat burning benefit that occurs after 1.5 hrs of riding (if that's what you're going after).
Old 04-22-21, 12:22 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by gthomson
I was watching a recent GCN video where two lads (Hank and Connor) go out on a 140 km ride, while one ate nothing the entire ride and the other consuming loads of energy bars and drinks. They were analyzing their glycerin levels to see how it affected performance and how long it would take the rider fasting, to crash from low sugar levels.
I rode an organized century without eating any food once. I actually made it all the way to 99 miles in fairly good form and then I couldn't move and went to sleep on a median. It took me a couple of decades to realize the people I was riding with were poaching the ride, so that's why we didn't stop at the rest areas. Those were the days when we called a century a two banana ride, so I'm not sure why I didn't bring anything with me.

Nowadays when I'm well trained during the season I often go 100km without eating. Anything more than that is not a good idea for me if I intend on continuing.

https://www.trainerroad.com/blog/con...ex-sandilands/

Last edited by unterhausen; 04-22-21 at 03:08 PM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-22-21, 10:08 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
My first instinct is that this isn't an issue about calories, it's an issue about fitness. I do have a caveat though: if the OP is just starting this diet and has suddenly dropped from say 3000 calories/day to 1000, then I could see it might be a problem for a while. Radical changes in calorie consumption require radical changes in metabolism and those can take maybe a month to sort out.

OTOH, if it's not that radical, it's just a fitness issue. Your body has to learn to get calories stores from your body and move them into your bloodstream. It'll do that just fine. Only thing is. . .your body won't get better at doing anything unless it's stressed. It responds to stress, no stress, no response. So definitely do not split the workout up into 10 minute rides. Might as well do nothing. 30' isn't long enough to do much either, but you're way better off doing 30' than nothing. Really, on the bike nothing much happens for the first 45' of moderate riding. An hour is a better minimum. But if you can only do 30 now, do that. Just do it, don't take mild discomfort as a stop signal. That's a signal that something good is maybe going to happen.
Old 04-24-21, 03:37 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
What to do instead of counting calories? 9-18-18 Dr. Jason Fung

How Calorie Counting Wrecks your Metabolism Dr. Jason Fung

A Calorie is a Calorie, but that’s not the right question Dr. Jason Fung
Old 04-24-21, 09:57 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
I am controlling my calorie intake.
I’ve reduced the intake to permit weight loss.

In order to exercise on a bike I need calories to fuel muscles.
I snack every 20mins while riding.
I burn ~25cal/mile on flat ground as determined by a power meter.
This calorie intake is in addition to my regular daily intake.
That way I don’t bonk (run out of fuel) while riding.

If I were to ride til I Bonk, my weight loss goal would impact my fitness goal.
IMHO Fitness goal first, weight loss goal will follow.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-24-21, 01:18 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I posted this link above, but I didn't comment on it. It makes sense to me that riding in a fasted state and intentionally "bonking" is a bad idea. It might not even have the desired effect, which in most cases people theorize that it helps burn fat. I don't think I will quit a ride because I can't eat, but I'm no longer doing it on purpose. I had a difficult time recovering from over-training a few years ago, and it makes me wonder if part of that was riding fasted.
https://www.trainerroad.com/blog/con...ex-sandilands/
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-24-21, 05:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
It's been fairly well established that not eating during a ride of over an hour will backfire, causing one to eat more after the ride, more total calories that if one had eaten during the ride and avoided becoming ravenously hungry.

That said, the OP is proposing a 30' moderate ride which won't even be enough to get warmed up, much less cause hunger. If the OP wants to be so calorie deficient they can't even ride for 30', that's their problem. One loses weight long term by lifestyle change, not by starving oneself.
Old 04-24-21, 05:32 PM
Bearhawker

I haven't "bonked" since I stopped eating carbs. Riding fasted does not equate to intentionally bonking - if you're fat-adapted there is essentially no bonk as you can't run out of fuel that the body expects.

Not for everyone but for the riding I do it's almost magical.
Old 04-24-21, 05:35 PM
Bearhawker

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
It's been fairly well established that not eating during a ride of over an hour will backfire, causing one to eat more after the ride, more total calories that if one had eaten during the ride and avoided becoming ravenously hungry.
Maybe that depends on the diet? I've ridden 3-day, (300km, 4100m of climbing) rides where the calculated calories burned were north of 15k, and I ate ~3k calories total for the three days. I wasn't able to eat any more, and it didn't hurt my performance or ability to do the ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.