Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What to consider when buying a dedicated bike for trainer?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What to consider when buying a dedicated bike for trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-21, 12:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
[QUOTE=bblair;22225456]
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Why no standing on Zwift?

It just seems awkward to me. I have a Wahoo wheel-on smart trainer, but not the "Climb" accessory. When climbing IRL the front wheel is elevated, but not on a trainer.
You never get out the saddle on level ground when riding outside?
Old 09-11-21, 12:59 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
For me it's the lack of sideways movement that makes standing feel weird on the trainer. I do stand on the trainer, but nowhere near as much as I do IRL. To simulate long alpine climbs I just pile books under the front wheel holder to raise it up.
Old 09-11-21, 02:42 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
For me it's the lack of sideways movement that makes standing feel weird on the trainer. I do stand on the trainer, but nowhere near as much as I do IRL. To simulate long alpine climbs I just pile books under the front wheel holder to raise it up.
Tempted to try something like one of these: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1008538...o-board-rocker
Old 09-12-21, 06:39 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
[QUOTE=tomato coupe;22225609]
Originally Posted by bblair
You never get out the saddle on level ground when riding outside?
Of course, but even on "level ground" there are some changes and the front end rises and falls with the terrain. On Zwift, even if I stand on a climb, it doesn't rock back and forth and my front wheel is level. Awkward...at least for me.
Old 09-13-21, 01:17 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
when i'm zwifting and i know i will be climbing i put bricks under the wheel, either 2" or 6" depending on anticipated grade. feels weird when on the flats but so does no wheel elevation and standing. if the flat is long enough i just stop and remove the elevation.
Old 09-13-21, 10:12 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,719 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
... BTW, I can't fathom why some here need multiple fans or those huge ones. I ride pretty hard (for me) but a single one close by does the job.
Some people sweat and dissipate heat differently. If you can get away with a single fan, good for you, some might need more. I have a vornado that pushes a lot of air and does the job for me but there are many a day when it is super humid, and a second fan helps reduce the sweat.