Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A perspective from the front lines…

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-22, 03:42 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

Some interesting stuff. Not making an endorsement of the channel, but it was fed to me by the Almighty Algorithm.

Old 05-01-22, 05:12 PM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
I like it, makes me think I should look at this perhaps I could be and advocate in my area, I mean it would be great to recover your stolen bike wouldn't it?
Old 05-01-22, 05:32 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I’ve had atleast 10 bikes stollen or lost in my life, (2 as a kid, 1 one in college, 5 as a courier, and 2 in the last year.) the biggest thing if you don’t have a lock IMO is keeping it away from where homeless people/druggies congregate. Have to park it at the grocery store? Maybe find a secluded place and walk 100 yards.
Old 05-06-22, 01:54 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I’ve had atleast 10 bikes stollen or lost in my life
You're doing something wrong.
Likes For fredlord:
Old 05-06-22, 04:26 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
I had one bike stolen in my life. I was in my early teens, thought I had it well hidden while I was fishing a pond. When I was leaving, the bike was gone. It was probably not even a $20 bike at that time. I did have an attempted bike theft of two bikes on a car rack. The way I had the car backed in against a wall, I guess they could not get enough torque to cut the 15mm cable, and could not break the lock. The location meant they did not have a lot of time. I still have the one that was mine.
Old 05-06-22, 07:15 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I've had four stolen in my life.

At about age 7, living in Brooklyn, I was allowed to ride to the local playground alone. It was about 5 blocks from my house-. amazing to think of that now. While on the swing, another kid jumped on my Stingray and I never saw it again.

When I was a teen, a local kid opened our unlocked garage and stole my Schwinn Continental. He lived about 10 blocks away, but was foolish enough to ride it around town. I saw him on it, called the police, and it was recovered. In order to "disguise" the bike, he had done nothing more than rip off the bar tape and scrape off half the paint. Guy lived in a house twice the size of mine in a much nicer part of our already comfortable Long Island suburb. Go figure.

In the late 1980s, as a student in Eugene Oregon, somebody swiped my well-loved Motobecane from my backyard. It was unlocked, but in a well-hidden place. That sucked. I was a poor student at the time and really needed that bike to get to campus and back.

About 20 years ago, during the long period where I cared little about bikes, I left my classic early 1980s 12 speed Peugeot on my Minneapolis front porch unlocked for months and shrugged when it finally disappeared. I just hoped that whomever took it made good use of it. I was foolish - that was a sweet bike, which I didn't appreciate at the time.
Old 05-06-22, 07:30 PM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
I’d hired a bike and cycled from Bristol to Bath and chained it up in the city centre. Came back several hours later and bike still there, but large marks in the chain where somebody had tried to cut through.

Funny thing was that it wasn’t actually locked. Only explanation was that I’d forgot to lock it/not done it right and the wannabe thief didn’t notice! Close one.

Did have one pinched out of my garage as a child. Was very disappointed in the human race even as a ten year old.
Old 05-06-22, 08:09 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
That was pretty interesting. One thing that was conspicuous in its absence from the program was any focus on the thief. If Vancouver is anything like most of the cities with which I am familiar, there is no reason for a low life not to steal a bike.