Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-23, 04:23 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Yep, I still 4 rim brake bikes, and 1 with disc brakes. I live in flat land and do not notice all that much difference, even when wet. I am rarely anywhere that I ride in significant elevation. My disc brakes are mechanical. Modern rim brakes, pads, and rims are pretty darn good.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-06-23, 04:47 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I keep my old ones for lawn art.
Old 01-06-23, 04:59 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
No, it’s because in the not-too-distant future (possibly now) it will be impossible to get up-to-date groupset parts that support rim brakes (and cable shifting too, prolly).

I am keeping my rim brake bike but am resigned to a future of scouring EBay to find NOS shifters that support them…unless microshift and Chinese components improve their quality.
So, "they" should keep component groups backwards -compatible with every bike that's been made, for, what, the last 15 years? 20? 30?
If the current 105 is a Di2, hydro disk group, but they also offered it as a mech shift rim- brake set, is it really still the same group? The only common part would be the cassette.

Right now, road bikes are going through the same kind of technology shift that MTBs did in the early Y2Ks; from the 3x "26er" era to the current 1x "29er" bikes. Very little of the current tech crosses over.
Where MTBs were always evolving, road bikes didn't really change, but incrementally, for decades. STI was the last big shift in components, other than increasing numbers of cassette cogs, but it didn't fundamentally change the architecture, like disks and Di2 have

Last edited by Ironfish653; 01-06-23 at 06:52 PM.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 01-06-23, 05:05 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
......because cycling has become a fashion industry. If you don't follow the latest trends you will be looked down upon and not considered a serious cyclist.
I've never heard anything like this except on this forum. I ride with 2 road clubs, hundreds of members, and we interact with other clubs and riding groups. It doesn't matter what you're riding. If you ride like a jerk other riders will treat you like a jerk. If you ride safely and are cool than people will enjoy riding with you. I'm the biggest Fred out there most of the time and people don't disparage my bikes or my clothing.

When you are riding nobody gives a crap what you are riding, only how you are riding.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-06-23, 05:09 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
I'm keeping all four of my rim-brake bikes.

And all four of my turntables, too.
What? No 8-track players?
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-06-23, 05:09 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Coaster brakes were created by "The Big Rear Tire Conglomerate." Before coaster brakes, "Big Leather Shoe Sole" ran things, and before shoes it was "Big Foot Callus" calling the shots.
Good one!
Old 01-06-23, 05:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
No, it’s because in the not-too-distant future (possibly now) it will be impossible to get up-to-date groupset parts that support rim brakes (and cable shifting too, prolly).

I am keeping my rim brake bike but am resigned to a future of scouring EBay to find NOS shifters that support them…unless microshift and Chinese components improve their quality.
I complain about this too, but I do it while recognizing it's a very selective complaint and can be easily countered.

Currently ycou an still buy 105 and Ultegra rim brake cable actuated groups.
Sometime in the bearish future it will be Tiagra as the highest cable shift/brake setup. So that is what you are referring to, but it'll still be possible.
At that point, one can turn to microshoft/sensah/ltwoo for mechanical brake drivetrains. I expect those brands will continue to refine and at that point in time the shifters will be quite capable and the handwriting will have been overblown.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-06-23, 05:50 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
My Surly has both disc brake mounts and v brake or canti mounts on the fork and frame. My Rocky Mountain MTB is only disc specific, my KHS can only use rim caliper brakes. I remember years ago many different manufacturers produced bikes with options to run ether disc or v brakes. They don't make them like this anymore, I wonder why ?
Old 01-06-23, 05:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
My Surly has both disc brake mounts and v brake or canti mounts on the fork and frame. My Rocky Mountain MTB is only disc specific, my KHS can only use rim caliper brakes. I remember years ago many different manufacturers produced bikes with options to run ether disc or v brakes. They don't make them like this anymore, I wonder why ?
Because it's more expensive to produce a frame with multiple options, and disc brake bikes could be sold at a higher price point.
Old 01-06-23, 06:24 PM
Ferguron

Bikes: '15 Giant Propel Advanced SL1, '17 Trek Madone RSL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 15 Posts
I live in extreme NW New Jersey. The terrain is constant rolling hills...not mountains. The truth is on a typical fifty mile ride I will barely have to use the brakes at all.

Improving my brakes are about the last thing I care about...I guess i would care more if I lived in the Alps...
Likes For Ferguron:
Old 01-06-23, 06:24 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by drz400
Maybe I'm just cheap and won't pay the price but I don't get paid to ride so I'm keeping my rim brakes. Anyone else out there or am I just an old fossil ?
Yes, several. I have some disc equipped bikes as well and, quite honestly, can’t see what all the kerfufflage is all about. I even have a mountain bike…a 26er, The Horror!!!…with disc front and rim rear. I can’t tell the difference between the brakes at all.

My touring bike even has…avert your eyes if you have a heart condition…CANTILEVERS!!!! I actually have 3 cantilever equipped bikes…Yes, I’m an evil monster! Considering that all current touring bikes have very untouring like geometry I’m keeping that one (and my touring bike based running around town bike and the extra touring bike frame in the attic.)

Consider yourselves warned if rim brakes offend you

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-06-23, 06:49 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Originally Posted by cyccommute
My touring bike even has…avert your eyes if you have a heart condition…CANTILEVERS!!!! I actually have 3 cantilever equipped bikes…Yes, I’m an evil monster!

Consider yourselves warned if rim brakes offend you

Everyone thinks they’re freaky until the guy with the U-brakes shows up; then it’s just some garden variety vanilla kink.

Nice PAUL’s btw; but what’s going on here? I see a Station badge with what looks like CAAD wishbone stays
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 01-06-23, 07:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It was on your Christian Mingle profile.
If you knew me irl, you would understand just how hilarious this is!

Originally Posted by smd4
I've heard the lack of modulation argument from others. Who have "more experience." My experience confirms what I've heard.
But you have
admittedly limited experience
So your "experience" isn't worth a damn - by your own admission.

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Consistent modulation in varying conditions is one of the inherent advantages of a good disc brake setup. As you say maybe some people struggle with the much lighter lever forces, but I see that as an advantage too, especially when braking from the hoods.
When I was gravel racing in the very hilly Eastern US (typically >100' of climbing per mile), this was a significant advantage of hydraulic disc brakes. Over the course of five years, I was in two gravel races in which riders broke their necks on long and steep descents -- and plenty of other riders got injured in those races. Brakes matter.

Originally Posted by big john
I've never heard anything like this except on this forum. I ride with 2 road clubs, hundreds of members, and we interact with other clubs and riding groups. It doesn't matter what you're riding. If you ride like a jerk other riders will treat you like a jerk. If you ride safely and are cool than people will enjoy riding with you. I'm the biggest Fred out there most of the time and people don't disparage my bikes or my clothing.

When you are riding nobody gives a crap what you are riding, only how you are riding.
+1. In fact, when I roll up and see a dude in Carhartts and a hoodie who is riding a nasty beat-up SS, I figure he's one of the strongest riders in the group. And I'm usually correct.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-06-23, 07:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Coaster brakes only. Everything else is too fussy and a fashion statement.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-06-23, 07:46 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
My rim brake road bike has served me well and I'm not in the market for another bike anytime soon. No need here.
this

I have a (cable) disc brake hard tail and cargo bike. They’re fine. My road bikes all have caliper rim brakes. Some even single pivot. They, too, are fine.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 01-06-23, 07:49 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
While I love my disk brake bike, why would it have a bearing on if I were to keep my rim braked bikes?

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-06-23, 07:50 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
So, "they" should keep component groups backwards -compatible with every bike that's been made, for, what, the last 15 years? 20? 30?
If the current 105 is a Di2, hydro disk group, but they also offered it as a mech shift rim- brake set, is it really still the same group? The only common part would be the cassette.

Right now, road bikes are going through the same kind of technology shift that MTBs did in the early Y2Ks; from the 3x "26er" era to the current 1x "29er" bikes. Very little of the current tech crosses over.
Where MTBs were always evolving, road bikes didn't really change, but incrementally, for decades. STI was the last big shift in components, other than increasing numbers of cassette cogs, but it didn't fundamentally change the architecture, like disks and Di2 have
Road vs MTB evolution isn’t really a like for like; MTB didn’t exist as a bike category before 1980, so it only stands to reason that MTB tech would change quicker than road, which has been around for over a century.
Old 01-06-23, 07:52 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

In the 25 years or so since that time you so fondly recall, disks have become pretty much the standard fitment on all but the cheapest of MTBs, hydraulic disks in particular. Besides the potential performance benefits, they also package better on suspension systems, and allow for a bike to potentially run different rim and tire sizes, (especially super wide +plus sizes)

Disks really didn’t start becoming a mainstream option until near the end of the 26er era, and then they were still a costly upgrade.
A lot of the midrange bikes had mounts for both, and there were rim and disc versions sold alongside each other.
It often broke down that the Disc brake Deore LX bike cost almost as much as the V-brake version of the XT bike that was the next step up the model line

Your Surly is an outlier; Surly’s niche is that their frame is an everything bagel; it’s got everything: disk and canti mounts, sliding dropouts and derailleur hangers; you can build it any number of ways, and even with things that normally don’t go together. You can have a fat tire 11-sp bikepacking rig on the weekend and switch it out to a fenders and skinnies single speed to ride to class on Monday. (Or that’s kinda the thinking behind it )
Old 01-06-23, 07:52 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
But you have So your "experience" isn't worth a damn - by your own admission.
So my own experience isn’t worth a damn to me?

You’re brilliant.
Old 01-06-23, 07:58 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
It is winter.

Disc brake/rim brake threads have jumped the shark.

It is now official: disc brake/rim brake threads are the new Waving threads.

That is all.
Old 01-06-23, 08:36 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferguron
I live in extreme NW New Jersey. The terrain is constant rolling hills...not mountains. The truth is on a typical fifty mile ride I will barely have to use the brakes at all.

Improving my brakes are about the last thing I care about...I guess i would care more if I lived in the Alps...

Aren't you the one who goes through shifter cables so fast you'd buy them in bulk if you could? And, the situation gets worse with each group upgrade? No wonder Shimano is pushing electronic as hard as they are. Once they went to the hidden cable design, the product suffered. They don't care.
Old 01-06-23, 08:42 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Aren't you the one who goes through shifter cables so fast you'd buy them in bulk if you could? And, the situation gets worse with each group upgrade? No wonder Shimano is pushing electronic as hard as they are. Once they went to the hidden cable design, the product suffered. They don't care.
I get about 3k miles from a RD cable. I don’t know why but must be my shift frequency is higher than average. I have come to peace with this. At least the newer generation shifters make cable change easier.
Old 01-06-23, 08:53 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
To each their own. I detest the long, crunchy throw of a Shimano brake lever shift. You're right though, it'll be searching the net because of Big Bike. It's all a conspiracy.
Old 01-06-23, 08:55 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Originally Posted by Leinster
Road vs MTB evolution isn’t really a like for like; MTB didn’t exist as a bike category before 1980, so it only stands to reason that MTB tech would change quicker than road, which has been around for over a century.
Im not talking about the rates of evolution; but that disk/Di2 is the inflection point at which you’re either compatible with the new technology or this is as far as you go.

This is a thing that MTBers are used to. There would always be a point where you wouldn’t be able to upgrade to the latest and greatest, because it was designed for the new bikes, not your old one.
You either enjoy your bike as it is, knowing it’s “maxed out,” or you retire it and move on to a new one
Old 01-06-23, 08:58 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
So my own experience isn’t worth a damn to me?

You’re brilliant.
It seems odd that someone who acknowledges "admittedly limited experience" with something would then hold such a strong opinion about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.