Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

80's Cilo - Aelle tubed, Shimano 600 build...or how to not fall down the rabbit hole.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

80's Cilo - Aelle tubed, Shimano 600 build...or how to not fall down the rabbit hole.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-23, 05:11 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts

Hopefully I can avoid getting carried away on this one. Grabbed this yesterday for small change while picking up another bike. Just wanted to see my first Cilo and get it to do a light refurbish and then hopefully send it back out on the road with a new owner.

Shimano 6207 and 6208 build.

Weather was bad this morning and I was bored. So I started messing with this one a bit. Rain kept falling and somehow I wound up tearing it pretty much all the way down. Pretty much all fasteners seemed to have been greased so no stuck parts like is so often the case. Had problems at first getting the crank off with the puller. But that was just a certain idiot forgetting to take the bolts out first.....

BB came out just fine and was well greased. Pretty clean grease but getting a little old and dry. Also had one bearing missing out of the cage on the drive side. Only problem I ran into were the pedals are stuck on the crank arms. Got them soaking with some PB blaster and expect them to come off. BB on these is standard Italian it seems like.

Since I had it all apart I just kept going.

Rubbing compound, followed by polishing compound and then glaze restored the shine to the overall paint job. But there are quite a few marks and paint chips on it along with one chain stay marred from a chain drop. Gonna take the frame to town and try to match the color to either paint or fingernail polish.

The chrome on the fork polished up really nicely though. I wish the paint was that good.

A little search yielded no result on Cilo's serial number format.

Dang it, more grease I missed.

Here's something I haven't ever noticed on any frames before. Numbers stamped on the lugs, angles?

More to come. I should have the cables and white housing I need. Thinking white tape, hoods, and white bottle cages. Oh and I found some white straps for pedal cages. Should go together fast once I figure out if I can do paint touch up or leave as is.
Old 05-28-23, 05:37 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

yes, the numbers on the lugs refer to the angle in degrees between the lug's respective sockets

lug pattern appears to be BOCAMA Competition 76 with cutout Nr. R 1

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 05-28-23, 07:13 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Cilo was a brand the shop I worked for carried in the first half of the 1970’s. Not fussed over, but decent. They moved to stickers earlier, appears they returned to decals or transfers, which I think was a good move.
Old 05-28-23, 08:30 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,957 Posts
Seems like a good candidate for nail polish. That’s a pretty common color family for polish.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-28-23, 08:31 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Found these articles while researching Cilo.

https://diaryofacyclingnobody.com/th...vYFbBpV-d5VlUg

https://diaryofacyclingnobody.com/mo...X36vKnT4T5sqgo

https://diaryofacyclingnobody.com/ci...rzZ-V0P09jfYK4
Old 05-28-23, 08:52 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Back in the day, it was a length of Tressostar or tressorex handlebar tape to protect for chain slap.
which was easier to do as the derailleur cable ran over the chainstay, the cable providing some protection.
Old 05-29-23, 09:42 AM
WT160

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
I had a Cilo 105 for a short time a couple of years back. I liked the bike a lot, but it was a little too big for me.
Old 06-02-23, 08:24 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Nicely done! I had the same model (Aelle tubing, 600 gruppo) about 15 years ago and really loved it. It was a size too small so I moved it on to a good home. Enjoy!
Old 06-03-23, 07:02 AM
jamesdak 

Well I found a fingernail polish for this that is pretty close. It's just a bit lighter than the original shade. I'll decide this weekend if I go with it or if I try mixing a touch of silver in it to darken it a bit. The lilac paint on this has very fine metal flake to it. There's two areas of the bottom bracket where you see a silver metallic paint with no color to it. I wonder if these were done with a silver metallic base coat and then the lilac over top?
Old 06-03-23, 05:08 PM
jamesdak 

Well it was still too blue and light with a drop or two of silver metal flake mixed in. Added a drop or two of red and got a lot closer. Did the first coat and then tomorrow I'll mix for an even better match and go at it with a second coat.
Old 06-04-23, 07:21 PM
jamesdak 

Showering all morning so I went back out in the garage and messed with the Cilo some more. Mixed up another batch of paint and got it even closer. Weird thing is it didn't seem to want to stick to the frame today. Only thing different was the addition of some Testor blue after I got the mix too red. First time I've mixed so many different products. Anyway got it on sorta rough and thick but that's actually ok. I'll let if cure a bit then use some very fine wet sanding to even it out. Then go over the repairs with some clear coat, polish and done. I looks rough in the pics but I think it will blend in OK. Once evened out and clear coated it'll at least do the trick of sealing out rust. I'm going to put a chainstay protector over most of that anyway but I wanted the rust all out and gone first.

The paint recipe.

Should blend up well once wet sanded.

Hubs were sorted out too. Once again signs of being maintained and well greased but the lube was just getting old. Once I finished I took a little metal polish to the hubs to bling them out a bike. Spokes got hit with steel wool. Tedious work, but free. I also got in the grommets to convert the wheels from shrader to presta. Debating about swapping out the Gatorskins or not. I fully plan to just pass this one one once I finish it and ride it a time or two.

I has cleaned the cassette earlier during the week.

I also took apart the pedals, cleaned, lubed, and polished them. Both of them are missing the outer seal and dust cap. I'll go down to the hardware store, find an O-Ring or something similar to get some sealing there. Pedals feel really good now. A few tries to get the preload right but not really any different from servicing hubs. Sorry, messy work, no pic.

Finally the DT shifters got some attention and then a quick polish.

Old 06-04-23, 08:11 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

beautiful bike & beautiful job with it!

interesting to note the change in serial placement from earlier times

at least from the 1950's through the early 1970's serials were placed on the upper side of the shell on the NDS and read from the outside

---

if you do a sufficient number of these projects in no time at all you should develop enough of a nail varnish selection to open a manicuring service -

---

how is the market in beehive land at present; when you get a machine ready does it sell in a reasonable time?

thank you again for sharing this project with the forum

-----
Old 06-05-23, 01:36 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
The only Cilo I've ever had my hands on would have been a forever-keeper if it had been my size. Everything about it was awesome.

Album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/673386...57664744454711

Chrome handled the salty air here better than most, and polished up nice. IIRC I sold it to a bartender who brought it back to me 2x after damage from being parked out front of...a bar. Go figure.
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 06-19-23, 05:39 PM
jamesdak 

Finally back on this one again this afternoon for a little while. Mounted all the parts back on, new bearings in the BB, new chain, triflow on all the parts pivot points, and steel wool to the already nice spokes (couldn't remember if I had did them). I think it's ready to get recabled using white housing this time. So far the only money spent has been the new chain. Everything else I had so it's just been my time on this one. I'll swap in some better tires and hopefully something a bit larger to cushion up the ride a bit more.
Old 06-19-23, 05:44 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by juvela
-----
how is the market in beehive land at present; when you get a machine ready does it sell in a reasonable time?

-----
It's hard to tell here lately what will appeal. That Raleigh Technium Supercourse is gorgeous to me, has a high end build now, is dang near mint, drivetrain is silent on the road and working really good yet it's not sold yet after being listed for several months with lots of pictures. It even has my usual parts cost break down in the ad showing that I spent a whole lot more on it than I am asking. I thought it would go quick and it's too nice to give away.

This one is just for fun and with no real money put into it I'll sell 'er cheap just to get it back out on the road.
Old 06-20-23, 09:02 AM
jamesdak 

Bigger tires out of my stash. True sized 700 x 28 Clements that clear just fine. You could certainly run 700 x 30's on here and have clearance. These should ride nicer than the 700 x 25 Gatorskins that were on it.

I serviced the pedals but the dust caps and outer seals are missing. I need to at least find an o-ring or something similar to put in there or swap 'em out. They feel so good right now though.
Old 07-01-23, 06:56 AM
jamesdak 

I got back on this one last night. Thought I was going to have it done but the white bar tape I thought I had is no where to be found. So I still have that to do. I also need to readjust the preload on the bb as it's not right. Oh, and put the intact dust caps back on. I managed not to spend a ton on this one. Had to get some new cables and housing for it and of course a chain. But the hoods, saddle and tires are out of my stash. $20 bucks on some new bottle cages too. Otherwise it's just been my time stripping it down and refurbing it. She's still rough cosmetically but should be a solid rider for someone. I put the Shimano 600 pedals back on for now but will have those nice flat ones I recently serviced available if needed. May also look for a more period correct saddle for it although any change will be a black saddle.

Almost done.

These are buttery smooth now!
Old 07-01-23, 07:46 PM
jamesdak 

Well, it's pretty much done and I'm not happy at all. Grabbed some quick pics just now and yeah...... I've taken 3 of the next 4 weeks off work because I'm just burnt out, distracted, and totally out of mental focus. Shows in these pics too. I mean it's a cheap project done solely to get the bike back in someone's hands and on the road but I could have done so much better. Probably should play it safe and turn the Kestrel Frameset over to the trusted guys at my favorite LBS and let them do that one. I need a break, and to just ride and play for awhile.

Found this white saddle in the parts cabinet. Forgot I had it and it's a better look than the Fizik on this. This is a 10 footer bike.

Put the chainstay protector on after I touched up a lot of chaindrop damage in that area.

Biopace.... Also wound up taking off the other crankarm and readjusting the BB preload today. Had too much play in it.

The fork on this is really nice.

Sloppy job, shameful. Had these hoods in my stash but had to trim some off the bottom to let the levers work freely. New cables and housings.

I will say I did get the hubs right, so smooth after the service.

This hub is rocking too with new bearings and a full service

May need to play with brake alignment a bit still.

Ugh, need to take a toothbrush to these to get the metal polish out of the engraved areas.

Last edited by jamesdak; 07-01-23 at 07:51 PM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 07-01-23, 07:49 PM
jamesdak 

Room for a bit more rubber on this one.

Levers have some rash. One of these days I may get a polishing wheel to make fixing stuff like this easier.

Cool stem, to bad the cap is missing off the back.

So yeah, not impressed with my effort on this one. But still, it's so much better than the nasty beast I picked up about a month ago. I need space so this will go cheap to someone locally.
Old 07-01-23, 10:58 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
You're a tough critic. The bike looks great and someone is going to love it.
Old 07-08-23, 05:13 PM
jamesdak 

Well, despite the "crazy issue" with the local bike collective in Dec. I decided to give them another chance. Took the Cilo by today and donated it to them. No one freaked out this time. Still am clueless what that was all about.

Anyway, hopefully that one winds back up on the road shortly.