Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rear view mirror for drop bar

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-19-18, 06:43 PM
cyber.snow

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Salsa Fargo, TREK DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i really need some kind of ability to see cars and other riders coming up behind me. I tried a helmet mounted system but it was so small I almost wrecked a couple of times as I was trying to determine the source is a noise coming up behind me.
Old 05-19-18, 07:15 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
If you use rear panniers, the bar-end mount mirrors, which are otherwise pretty nice, won't work very well.

I have a metal bracket that Velcros onto the brake hood. It's old and heavy, but I love it. I'm not sure it's still made.

There's a very old style that straps onto the back of the hand or glove. I heard someone say they saw a new one the other day.

I've never really gotten the hang of helmet or eyeglass mirrors, but that's probably just a learning curve.
Old 05-19-18, 07:35 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
My helmet mounted mirror is not that small, it is the Third Eye model that clamps onto my helmet visor. But if you think that is too small, that is your decision. I like the way that it clamps on, it works when I am wearing my helmet rain cover which I sometimes do in cold weather. And it can be removed for transport, like when I get on airplanes.

Old 05-19-18, 07:54 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
There are quite a few different bar end mount mirrors out there for drop bars. Mine was an inexpensive Bell brand mirror I found at Walmart. I like it, but have to consciously make myself look down to use it. I'd make sure you can adjust the angle appropriately. I was riding my other bike today that doesn't have a mirrors and I noticed its absence. I do use it.
Those mirrors that come up out of the brake hoods look interesting. I'm not sure how well they work.
Old 05-20-18, 02:52 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I use Zefal Spy Mirrors on some of my bikes including bikes with drop-bars and have in the past used one on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. Now however the Surly has a Busch & Muller Cycle Star mirror fitted to it. I have found it works well for my needs.
Old 05-20-18, 03:56 AM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I use a Rearviz mirror strapped on my wrist. https://www.rearviz.com/

I'd never be able to keep a mirror on my handlebars or helmet in one piece for long!

The Rearviz is pretty much infinitely adjustable. Change hands if you change from riding on the left to the right.
The disadvantage is that if you change your hand position, you can lose your rear view - but at the same time, an adjustment of your wrist means that you can see a lot more too.

It's finnicky in that it takes a while to get used to it, and to get the adjusting right, but it does do a reasonable job. Bear in mind I have no other mirror use to compare it to.

It can also be handy around camp to have a mirror. And it folds up when not in use so is reasonably robust.
Old 05-20-18, 07:27 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
I had to laugh at the Rearviz website, which says they have the "worlds first" wearable rear view mirror. I specifically remember those back in the 70s, a convex mirror with an elastic strap. I guess that company's not around anymore to claim differently.

(After the AMC car company (remember the Eagle?) went out of business, Subaru started claiming they had the "world's first" all wheel drive station wagon. But the Eagle was 4WD, so maybe that's technically true.)
Old 05-20-18, 07:55 AM
ober27

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I installed tbe Ortlieb Ultra Light Mirror on my Long Haul Trucker. I mounted it a little below the brake lever. The mounting stem is horizontal, the mirror is vertical. I just installed it, so I've only ridden about 400 miles, but so far I really like it. I also put one on my wife's bike with Trekking bars as well, she loves it.
Old 05-20-18, 07:56 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
There are about a dozen (China knock-offs) competitors on Amazon, the Rearviz is three, four times the price..

I use the Hafny on a couple of road bikes, works flawlessly https://www.amazon.com/Hafny-Mirror-...rop+bar+mirror
Old 05-20-18, 08:05 AM
volvostephen

Bikes: 2017 Breezer Radar Expert, 2016 Kona Wo, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer Single Speed

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I use a take a look mirror on my helmet (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5013-6...ist%27s-Mirror). I know you said you didn't want a helmet mirror but maybe you need to give it more time. I love that I can see forward and back at the same time and I can swivel to scan behind me. I have gotten so used to this I find it hard to ride without it. I have never had issues with it being small.
Old 05-20-18, 08:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts

https://www.mirrycle.com/product/mirrycle-road-mirror/
Old 05-20-18, 08:56 AM
dh024

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by volvostephen
I use a take a look mirror on my helmet (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5013-6...ist%27s-Mirror). I know you said you didn't want a helmet mirror but maybe you need to give it more time. I love that I can see forward and back at the same time and I can swivel to scan behind me. I have gotten so used to this I find it hard to ride without it. I have never had issues with it being small.
Agreed. I have tried all kinds of mirrors, and nothing is as good at the Take a Look mirror. It takes a bit of work to find that perfect spot, but once you do, I absolutely depend on this mirror - it is so good.

If you can't see enough behind you, that suggests to me that you have the mirror mounted too far from your eye or the mirror you have is tiny (probably the former). I strongly suggest you give a helmet or glasses-mounted mirror a try again, because they might be fantastic for you if you get one that works for you and it is adjusted appropriately.
Old 05-20-18, 09:49 AM
cyber.snow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aushiker
I use Zefal Spy Mirrors on some of my bikes including bikes with drop-bars and have in the past used one on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. Now however the Surly has a Busch & Muller Cycle Star mirror fitted to it. I have found it works well for my needs.
Which Bush and Muller mirror are you using?
Old 05-20-18, 10:13 AM
cyber.snow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by volvostephen
I assume you are using the 3rd eye version instead of the one that connects to your glasses?
Old 05-20-18, 12:59 PM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
My friend uses the Busch and Mueller Cycle Star mirror. I have some Cateye brand mirror that screws into the end of the drop bars. Both work well enough for our purposes. As mentioned earlier, the end of the drop bar is not a great location for a mirror on a touring bike but I've found an orientation where the view in the mirror clears the panniers in the back. Both of the mirrors are stiff enough to stay in place while riding while loose enough to shift position so as not to break if the bike should fall over on that side. In the name of science we've put this to the test several times...

I found the Cateye mirror for $8 at REI, so it's a good value. It says "Racing Mirror" on the back in fast looking font, but I'm not sure if it actually makes me any faster.
Old 05-20-18, 05:58 PM
volvostephen

Bikes: 2017 Breezer Radar Expert, 2016 Kona Wo, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer Single Speed

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyber.snow
I assume you are using the 3rd eye version instead of the one that connects to your glasses?
I am using the exact one in the link which ever that is. It is nice being on helmet too as I don't have to buy multiples for each bike.
Old 05-20-18, 07:38 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
This is my favourite mirror, but unfortunately, it is only compatible with Shimano brifters made before 2010. The older brifters included built-in clips to accommodate third-party accessories, but Shimano designed out the clips!

Last edited by acantor; 05-20-18 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 10:11 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts

I tried the Zefals, but found them too small. Picked up these at Amazon. Good price and come in a pair.
Old 05-21-18, 07:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
A mirror mount, of sheet aluminum wrapping over the hood was a way they were made years ago..

held on with velcro straps..
Old 05-21-18, 11:16 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I use a Mountain Mirrycle mounted on a light clamp under the brake hood. Works very well. Put it under the bar tape though, unlike this photo:

Old 05-21-18, 10:33 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Which Bush and Muller mirror are you using?
It is the Cycle Star 80 with a longer arm.
Old 05-26-18, 07:34 PM
Chop61

Bikes: Pinarello Road, Surly LHT, Dolan Track, Fuji Supreme, Guru Ti Tri, Bamboo

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erick L
I use a Mountain Mirrycle mounted on a light clamp under the brake hood. Works very well. Put it under the bar tape though, unlike this photo:

This has worked for me for years.
Old 05-27-18, 09:38 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Erick L

My setup as well.
Old 05-27-18, 02:08 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
i really need
These have been good for me, but seem to be out of stock presently:

https://www.cycleaware.com/index.php?...&products_id=1
Old 05-27-18, 02:59 PM
cyber.snow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ordered the Busch & Mueller and the take a look. Will see how they work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.