Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Old 03-21-20, 02:14 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
If I plot the OC, where I live, and a larger population than San Francisco, we have grocery store lines, shelter in place and the numbers are 0,0,0,0,0. So, yes, I think the precautions are excessive for my location.
I agree. It's better to leave the decision for lockdown to the individual cities and wait until the situation becomes critical before taking action. Follow the Italian model
Old 03-21-20, 03:38 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Better question:

Why do you want to argue?
Thinks he’ll get a appearance ticket/fine if he goes out to ride his bike?

We have this on the music forums- “don’t feel like practicing repertoire or learning new songs/etudes- must argyoo on teh intirnit that expirts doant no nuthin.”

clearly Doge, along with too many others, are ignoring what the man standing in front of the podium right next to Our President is saying- that the purpose of the SD & lockdowns is to _slow_ the spread as much as possible so as to buy more time in developing a vaccine and improving the tests.

They just want more time. Is that too much to ask?

fwiw- it’s sunny and 35F here and I already got 50 miles in (40 were essential to my commute) along with six hours at work inspecting components for military electronic equipment. I only logged on because I finally have myself riding swiftly enough that I feel I might’ve been able to actually be competitive this year and wanted to see if, at least, there might be some sort of organized Strava events coming together.

Props on the beautiful portmanteau as the thread title.

Last edited by StanSeven; 03-21-20 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Removed political content
Likes For hsuBM:
Old 03-21-20, 04:01 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Better question:

Why do you want to argue?
It's all so new and the testing has been sparse or non-existent. We don't have much data to look at and we don't know much about the virus. Nothing wrong with an abundance of caution. At least give it some time.
Old 03-21-20, 04:13 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
I just HAD TO go out for a ride. The temptation of empty roads and overcast skies was too much to resist.

Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 03-21-20, 04:19 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
Hey there. I removed some political content from a post. Let’s keep politics out of the discussions. You all do a good job here obeying rules and mostly self monitor, so please keep that up. And stay safe.
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 03-21-20, 04:28 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Wifey teleconferencing w Art Ed colleagues. one of them had a pet bird that kept chiming in

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-21-20, 04:30 PM
big john

Sorry, maybe I'm dense. I'm not sure why that's an answer as to why Doge's is coming here looking to 'argue.'

Since my wife spent her whole day on the phone chasing medical protection donations, the folks she works with are working around the clock, and we're up over 10,000 in New York arguing it's not an serious issue is a luxury of privilege. One that isn't apt to last long. Asking people to stay home out of concern for others seems a modest act of empathy.
It wasn't intended to be. I was agreeing with you. I don't understand why people want to minimize the whole thing, especially against the advice of those who know more than they do.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-23-20, 09:40 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
As we have seen in South Korea, vs Italy and Iran what makes a difference is hospitals not being over whelmed with critical cases and availability of mechanical ventilators. What impacts that? Number of infected people! Let's say 2% of everyone who gets infected needs critical care. Out of those 1% will die even with help. If it's not available 5%. If there are 1000 cases it's 20 people critically ill. Let's say we only have 20 ICU beds with mechanical ventilators and they are free, so .2 people will die. Now let's say we have 100000 cases. That's 2000 people needing ICU. We still only have 20 beds. So we put 20 of those, now doctors need to choose, in ICU. Out of those .2 will die, so basically 0. That leaves 1980 people. Most will recover, but now death probability is 5%. That's 99 people dead.

Hopefully I didn't mess up on math, but it illustrates a point: number of deaths directly depends on number of cases and availability of critical care. So saying "look at deaths" is kind of a meaningless statement.
Old 03-23-20, 09:59 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Since most of us are stuck at home and working remotely, here's a bit of conference call gone wrong humor for you: https://elvisduran.iheart.com/conten...workers-watch/
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-23-20, 10:21 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I think I may FB live stream my Zwift workout tonight on our team page. Guest world is Innsbruck. Still just grabbing volume with a mix of zones coming off the crash and off weeks. I kind of want to climb some. I'll probably face our one laptop towards me and the big screen tv.

I wish the two lap climb of Innsbruck was a hair shorter in my time estimate of how long it would take me. Hmm... We'll see.
Old 03-23-20, 10:28 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I started getting crap for riding outside by myself. We don't have Shelter in Place (yet).

Can someone explain this to me? I get the whole "don't be a burden" thing, but I ride on rural roads with zero traffic, don't take chances, and haven't crashed myself into a doctors office since 2001 (and that was on a mountain bike).

Not sure what the correlation is, but nearly every single person that has shunned me has been from CA.
Old 03-23-20, 10:38 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I think it boils down to if you are hit by a car you're probably going to take resources better used for covid19. A local got hit the other day and is now in the hospital recovering, because a car rolled through a yield sign without looking. A few rides ago someone blew a stop sign and very nearly sideswiped me. There is definitely less traffic, but people are kinda driving like dicks right now.

That said I'm still riding outside, I'm just sticking close to my house in case my wife needs to scrape me off the road, and all the roads are 30-40mph zones. I'm assuming we're gonna be told no riding outdoors soon, so I'm taking in fresh air while I'm still allowed.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 03-23-20, 10:46 AM
Cypress

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I think it boils down to if you are hit by a car you're probably going to take resources better used for covid19. A local got hit the other day and is now in the hospital recovering, because a car rolled through a yield sign without looking. A few rides ago someone blew a stop sign and very nearly sideswiped me. There is definitely less traffic, but people are kinda driving like dicks right now.

That said I'm still riding outside, I'm just sticking close to my house in case my wife needs to scrape me off the road, and all the roads are 30-40mph zones. I'm assuming we're gonna be told no riding outdoors soon, so I'm taking in fresh air while I'm still allowed.
I definitely get the "hit by a car" thing.

I see it that someone would have to literally be driving off of the road in exactly the right place in order to hit me. The rural aspect of my roads are such that I hear the cars coming from a waaaays off and their line of sight is generally pretty good. I honestly am more afraid of getting mauled by a cougar (literal, not figurative) than being hit by a car at this point.
Old 03-23-20, 10:52 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
I definitely get the "hit by a car" thing.

I see it that someone would have to literally be driving off of the road in exactly the right place in order to hit me. The rural aspect of my roads are such that I hear the cars coming from a waaaays off and their line of sight is generally pretty good. I honestly am more afraid of getting mauled by a cougar (literal, not figurative) than being hit by a car at this point.
That's sort of my view on it as well, and I tend to ride very defensively. I also have pretty much every crack and pothole memorized. The worst case scenario would likely be hitting a deer on a descent, which would take such a lapse in focus and is such a rare occurrence that I consider it a non issue.

I'm certainly not about tempting fate, but I'm seriously riding the same 10 miles of road over and over again right now with very little variation. It's about as controlled as outside can be.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 03-23-20, 11:02 AM
Cypress

I think it's really a 'things happen,' sort of attitude. We don't expect to crash, but when we do in a time like this it not only seems unnecessary but one is apt to be putting themselves in a potentially high exposure area (Dr's office or hospital) and taking someone's attention that could be on some one else. There's also concern of a herd mentality. People see posts, pictures, video, etc of others riding in some area and they thing "hey, let's go riding!" I read over the weekend that everyone and their brother was in Bishop recreating. A line of cars. Up here someone went hiking and got lost requiring S&R. Pretty sure they didn't intend that, but so it goes. So things might be different in one's locality, but then perhaps best to get it on the DL so as not to incur the wrath of folks who are seeing things through a different lens in a time and place of more stringent rules and needs.
Makes sense. I read that Oregon is closing state parks because of the crowds they brought in over the weekend (I saw the traffic at one point. Scary shiz). Towns on the coast started closing/blocking all of their roads because of the massive amount of people trying to "get out".
Old 03-23-20, 11:45 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I'm with Cypress. To keep it short, I feel there's lots of other things that should also be banned if outdoor exercise is banned. Especially given those other things are possibly equal or more acutely risky in the crisis than outdoor exercise is.

I just got over with my ordeal, so am not really bombing it outdoors anyway.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 03-23-20, 11:51 AM
Cypress

The thing that's odd to me is that none of the SIP orders I've seen say anything along the lines of "don't ride your bike". They actually state quite the opposite.
Old 03-23-20, 11:55 AM
big john

The news this weekend showed 1000s of people at the beach and 100s on the trails. Parking was packed at both areas. They closed all trails yesterday and while they didn't close the beaches, they closed all beach parking.
Saturday I went for a 50 mile ride on some very rural roads with a group of six riders. For the most part we stayed apart but when there is a headwind on a long stretch of road people are going to draft, especially if someone 70 pounds bigger is willing to work. Later I felt like we shouldn't have done it and I'll avoid it for now.
People have been Strava stalking friends and admonishing them for riding and we got some dirty looks when we got back into town Saturday.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-23-20, 11:57 AM
Cypress

Originally Posted by big john
The news this weekend showed 1000s of people at the beach and 100s on the trails. Parking was packed at both areas. They closed all trails yesterday and while they didn't close the beaches, they closed all beach parking.
I went for a 50 mile ride on some very rural roads with a group of six riders. For the most part we stayed apart but when there is a headwind on a long stretch of road people are going to draft, especially if someone 70 pounds bigger is willing to work. Later I felt like we shouldn't have done it and I'll avoid it for now.
People have been Strava stalking friends and admonishing them for riding and we got some dirty looks when we got back into town Saturday.
The Vegan Cyclist posted a group ride photo on Instagram and got flamed into a public apology.

Last edited by Cypress; 03-23-20 at 12:15 PM.
Likes For Cypress:
Old 03-23-20, 12:05 PM
big john

My one friend doesn't even know the person who was shaming her on Strava and she wasn't even riding that day.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-23-20, 12:19 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I'm staying indoors. I've crashed about 8 times in 15 years of riding, and I don't think a single one was due to taking extra risks. Its always been some anomaly (wind gust, or a lack of attention after riding too many miles, etc). I've also noticed cars are paying even less attention these days and there are a ton of cyclists out on the road that aren't cyclists and have no clue what they're doing.

That all said, I don't mind riding Trainerroad or Strava for 2-3 hours. I prefer outdoors, but I'm also super paranoid about getting it (though my fear is more out of passing it on).
Old 03-23-20, 12:20 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

My one friend doesn't even know the person who was shaming her on Strava and she wasn't even riding that day.
I think for now, the account is going private and the "home ring" privacy diameter is going bigger.

I don't need some SJW (yes, I just said that as a big liberal) jumping on my Strava pretending they know what's up.

Segments be damned, I don't care. I may just disable Strava uploading for a while on my GPS and only keep permissions for Zwift and Trainingpeaks.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 03-23-20, 12:23 PM
big john

Originally Posted by furiousferret
I'm staying indoors. I've crashed about 8 times in 15 years of riding, and I don't think a single one was due to taking extra risks. Its always been some anomaly (wind gust, or a lack of attention after riding too many miles, etc).
Sudden gust of gravity?
Old 03-23-20, 12:26 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I'll preach about it but I'm not going scold people for riding outside. My teammates are all riding outside these days. 50 mph descents, running lights, etc. Saying something would fall on deaf ears. Most of them just aren't dialed into what's going on in the world, as their world revolves around their bike and friends.

Sudden gust of gravity?
It gets windy out here, like really windy. A few years back I hit a corner and as I was coming up from my tuck, a massive gust hit me at the perfect angle and time and I went over the other side.
Old 03-23-20, 12:33 PM
big john

Originally Posted by furiousferret
It gets windy out here, like really windy. A few years back I hit a corner and as I was coming up from my tuck, a massive gust hit me at the perfect angle and time and I went over the other side.
The gust of gravity thing was a joke in "Cat 3" comics years ago. Yeah, I've ridden in your area a couple times and in the wind many times. Was with a friend on Angeles Forest road when he crossed the big bridge the wind blew him off the bike.
Did the "Cruisin' the Conejo" ride one time and the wind was so strong people were walking their bikes on the flat ground.
Likes For big john:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.