Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

We got a present for you.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-04-21, 06:08 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I couldn't understand why some people were so for or against this new forum but I suppose it may stem from these interpretations of classic and vintage and their passion for bicycles spilling over into it. Riding what you love and loving what you ride is why most people read the C&V forums and keep it active.
From my post above:
I have enough things to do and I waste enough time on the internet; I don't need to waste more time looking at yet another forum because you think your special bike deserves a more special home or you don't know where to post it.

It's an old bike- it goes in C&V- post your pix there, buck up, scroll past the **** you don't want to look at. Just like everyone else.

This siphons off things that potentially interest me to a place that I'm not going to look- when it really does belong here.

Not only the practical "making it difficult," it also drives a wedge through the C&V community. "Your bike does not belong here." And that is antithetical to what this forum has historically been about.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 06-04-21, 06:58 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
As long as you use a Shimano SIS rear derailleur, there's no need to change or add anything.

6-speed block with 9-speed Ergo:
Too bad it doesn't require some ridiculous scheme to do it.

How about on a four-cog freewheel?

-Kurt

Old 06-04-21, 07:09 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
she and I disagree over whether or not The Division Bell is classic. She thinks it is... She also likes Hall and Oates, so I feel like her credibility is weak...
You're right that post-Waters Floyd is neither C nor V.

But a soulful ballad like Sara Smile is, absolutely, 100%.

Just like early '70s BÖC.

"It's all right!"
Old 06-04-21, 07:39 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 419 Posts

Last edited by bark_eater; 06-04-21 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-04-21, 09:09 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Sure, it's aging out, but it's still called classic rock.

Anecdotally, my 20 year old daughter is really into Pink Floyd, but she and I disagree over whether or not The Division Bell is classic. She thinks it is. I think it's what happens when a band (or some members thereof) don't know when to quit. She also likes Hall and Oates, so I feel like her credibility is weak. I think this is still tracking, very loosely, to the bike situation.
I think the definition of "classic" with music, much like with bikes, depends on how it's being used. To me, classic can be used as "that's a classic!" as in, it's an important, stand out piece of work that is noted in history; like a Shelby Cobra, or Frampton Comes Alive. The other way is classic as in a time period/epoch, etc. Like, classical music. For the most part, orchestral music from the 1600-early 1900's is all lumped together as "classical" music - or any cars built between 1940-1980 are classic cars, etc.

For the purposes of this forum discussion, I like to think of classic in terms of the time frame: so there's a vintage epoch, and a classic epoch of bikes. And yes, it's a moving time frame because of the spacetime continuum. However, the type of bikes & components meld into each other pretty well, and frames from both periods have parts that swap back and forth depending on tastes. So I think keeping everything together in one forum makes the most sense.

And for the record, The Division Bell is absolutely a classic album that features some of Gilmour's best guitar playing & lyrics (thanks Polly Samson). A Momentary Lapse was a definite 80's album, but it gave us Sorrow, On the Turning Away, & Terminal Frost. Gilmour's subsequent solo albums have also been real good - though On An Island was light years better than Rattle That Lock. Is the Division Bell as classic as the likes of Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, or The Wall? No, those are huge culturally/musically impactful albums. But it's still a great album from a great band. Just like my 1994 Specialized isn't a ground breaking bike, but it's a good frame from the respected company.
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 06-04-21, 09:36 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I think we all need our own individual subforums.
Get off my subforum, er, lawn!
Likes For tricky:
Old 06-04-21, 09:38 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
But it's still a great album from a great band. Just like my 1994 Specialized isn't a ground breaking bike, but it's a good frame from the respected company.
...it would be cool to have a "Specialized Only" forum. I can imagine long rants about how Mike Sinyard is the earthly presence of Beelzebub, and how wonderful some of the bikes are, considering the ethical and moral bankruptcy of a company that sues everyone over intellectual property and proprietary rights, along with the history of their early mountain bike origins. I would definitely follow that forum.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 06-04-21, 10:14 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 545 Posts
I am not likely to ever visit that other forum. I spend almost all my time in C&V. I occasionally dip my toes in the Road and Commuting forums, more for the topical discussion than for the bikes. I was sort of indifferent about the whole thing until I realized that mods are actively going through and moving threads into this new forum.

Quoted from the other linked thread:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Yes, we are trying to move the threads into the new sub forum. If you guys see something that should be moved, please please please report it and suggest it go into the new forum. THAT WOULD HELP A WHOLE LOT~~ Because right now, my team is trying to go through each thread to see if it belongs there and it's a lot of work. Thanks,. I really appreciate it.
At first I thought @Drillium Dude posted his stunning Davidson in that forum to get the ball rolling over there. Same with @jamesdak and his (classic but maybe not quite vintage enough?) Pinarello Monviso. Now I realized those threads were likely moved by the mods. I probably never would have bothered to look over there, and would have missed these beautiful, classic , KOF builds from people I consider "C&V BF members." I'd be bummed if that was my thread and I wanted to share those bikes with the community with which I most associate. I consider myself a bit of a retro-grouch curmudgeon, but I'm happy to see those bikes/threads in the C&V forum.

EDIT:
I see the "Retro Roadies - old frames with STI or Ergos" thread has been moved, too

I've got a '85 De Rosa Pro I built with 9-speed ergos. It's built with a mix of 80s and 90s Chorus/C-Record/Record. The truth is, the frame doesn't look much different from an early 90s De Rosa Pro. I've posted a photo of this bike in that "Retro Roadies with STI..." thread. I think that thread should remain in C&V. It's specifically for C&V bikes "upgraded" with brifters, not bikes from the early brifter era. It's a slippery slope and an unnecessary division of our interests imho.

Last edited by gaucho777; 06-04-21 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-04-21, 10:23 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Did I think an additional sub forum was needed? No, not really. I had no issue with those falling into C&V if posters felt that's where they'd get the best results.
Will I visit it? Yeah probably, maybe on an as needed basis. Mostly if I picked up a bike in that category and need some advice.

Admin made a decision, will it change my life? No.
Whatever, another sub forum on an internet forum. Read or scroll by, life goes on.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-04-21, 10:35 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Too bad it doesn't require some ridiculous scheme to do it.

How about on a four-cog freewheel?

-Kurt
I believe that requires a more complicated cable routing:

Old 06-04-21, 10:52 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
I believe that requires a more complicated cable routing:
Engineered in the UK, then?

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-04-21, 10:57 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777

At first I thought @Drillium Dube posted his stunning Davidson in that forum to get the ball rolling over there. Same with @jamesdak and his (classic but maybe not quite vintage enough?) Pinarello Monviso. Now I realized those threads were likely moved by the mods. I probably never would have bothered to look over there, and would have missed these beautiful, classic , KOF builds from people I consider "C&V BF members." I'd be bummed if that was my thread and I wanted to share those bikes with the community with which I most associate. I consider myself a bit of a retro-grouch curmudgeon, but I'm happy to see those bikes/threads in the C&V forum.
Yeah, mods moved that Pinarello one for whatever reason. Just got a PM saying it had been moved and was like WTH?? I post for my "family" and my family is C&V.
Old 06-04-21, 10:59 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

While I appreciate the proactive stance and the effort of the mods, this move might have been a little premature, IMO. What unites us in this community is not so much the exact age of bikes or parts, but the way we look at bikes (and life in general, for that matter). C&V is my favorite online watering hole. I enjoy the folks here, and whether the topic is 1950's tubing characteristics, early Weinmann brifters or the belief shared by some that cats would exterminate humanity if they could, matters less to me.

Removing popular threads like "Retro Roadies - old frames with STI or Ergos" is quite unfortunate. I liked (note the past tense) that thread.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 06-04-21, 11:04 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
At first I thought @Drillium Dube posted his stunning Davidson in that forum to get the ball rolling over there. Same with @jamesdak and his (classic but maybe not quite vintage enough?) Pinarello Monviso. Now I realized those threads were likely moved by the mods. I probably never would have bothered to look over there, and would have missed these beautiful, classic , KOF builds from people I consider "C&V BF members." I'd be bummed if that was my thread and I wanted to share those bikes with the community with which I most associate. I consider myself a bit of a retro-grouch curmudgeon, but I'm happy to see those bikes/threads in the C&V forum.

EDIT:
I see the "Retro Roadies - old frames with STI or Ergos" thread has been moved, too
Retro Roadies? Nooooooo!!!!!

“We got a present for you.”

Old 06-04-21, 11:15 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-04-21, 11:26 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
While I appreciate the proactive stance and the effort of the mods, this move might have been a little premature, IMO. What unites us in this community is not so much the exact age of bikes or parts, but the way we look at bikes (and life in general, for that matter). C&V is my favorite online watering hole. I enjoy the folks here, and whether the topic is 1950's tubing characteristics, early Weinmann brifters or the belief shared by some that cats would exterminate humanity if they could, matters less to me.

Removing popular threads like "Retro Roadies - old frames with STI or Ergos" is quite unfortunate. I liked (note the past tense) that thread.
Yup agreed. @Siu Blue Wind can we officially end the experiment now and get the threads moved back to C&V and the brifter forum closed? The consensus is that we'd like it all within C&V.
Old 06-04-21, 11:42 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Yeah, mods moved that Pinarello one for whatever reason. Just got a PM saying it had been moved and was like WTH?? I post for my "family" and my family is C&V.
Report the post and ask that it get moved to where it belongs.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-04-21, 11:55 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,190 Posts
I was wondering if they were going to purge those threads from the road bike forum also?
Old 06-04-21, 11:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
That's pretty much the message I'm getting. lol

But then others wanted it.

Darned if I do, darned if I don't.

It wasn't easy to do guys. I'm trying.
So will all threads about MTBs that are in 'general' be moved to the 'MTB' forum?
Will all threads about road bikes that are in 'general' be moved to the 'road' forum?
Will all threads about MTBs that are in 'C&V' be moved to the 'MTB' forum?
Will all threads about early hybrids that are in C&V' be moved to the 'Hybrid' forum?
And then there are the touring/bikepacking threads that are started and left in 'General'.

Clearly where threads are allowed to stay is more of a guideline than a rule, so...
Stop moving threads to the new forum without checking to see if the OP wants it there.
Old 06-04-21, 11:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
No worries.

It's just that 7/8/9s not always are classic and vintage yet not new enough to be in road and so there was a middle ground. People can post where they want but some might just be interested in those bikes and it just makes it easier for them to find rather than search through road, c and v and general. Kind of like how all the medical threads were in 50+.,t was soooo filled with medical issues that it was hard to find cycling content. We made a separate one for those as well. It took a while but it's getting good traffic.
If people can post where they want, then let the threads stay where the person wanted.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-04-21, 12:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,600 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...50 years from now, all the CF reinforced plastic bikes will have asploded, and the olde aluminum frames will have all died from metal fatigue. Brifters from this era will be the focus of the guys who used to collect mechanical, spring wound watches. Shifting technology will be dominated by thought controlled shifting, and the same people who are now horrified by the idea of taking a hand off the bar to manipulate a downtube shifter will be unwilling to be distracted by something like a brifter.

When some archeologist of 2071 is poking around in the ruins of Sacramento, he will react to his discovery of my garage like Howard Carter did when he opened the tomb of Tut. This reminds me I should leave a note behind.
I resemble that remark....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-04-21, 12:52 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Now I’m real confused about the purpose of this forum.
Likes For natterberry:
Old 06-04-21, 01:30 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by natterberry
It's a special place for people who think their bikes are cool but are wrong. I should be going over there now.
Old 06-04-21, 01:36 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 06-04-21, 01:47 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by natterberry
I am not the owner of this forum, so I don't get to decide.

But I can tell you what its meaning is to me: a place where I can log in after a long and tedious day at work and exchange thoughts with like-minded people who are interested in classic and vintage bikes. The technology, the history, the stories behind them and their fitness to provide joy to their owners in the 21st century. For instance by fitting modern components. Whether you agree or approve is not the real issue. I have learned a lot from other members' projects, and they - both members and projects - have really added to my enjoying life in general and bikes in particular.

My two cents.

Likes For non-fixie:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.