Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon mu latch assembly issue

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 07-14-21, 01:23 AM
uma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello bikeforums,

Per my previous post where I asked for how to repair a broken latch on a Mahon mu, I went ahead and ordered a hinge assembly repair kit from thorusa. I only needed the latch, but it's not sold separately so I had to buy the kit. I tried to reassemble the latch today and got stuck on inserting the pin into the latch and the part in between the latch eyelets. Apologies if I'm not using the right terms. Please see the attached pictures for the issue I'm facing. These are all new parts from the kit and as I understand it, the pin should be inserted all the way through the latch and the part in the middle and rotate freely. I can only insert it only a few millimeters in. My suspicion that the holes in the latch and the part inside are not perfectly aligned or I'm doing something wrong. I can insert the pin separately into the latch, or into the other piece just fine. Just not both.

Question for the forum:
- Is there any trick for getting the pin inside both parts - the latch and the part in the middle?
- Should I try to file down the latch to try to make the holes align?
- Could it be that the parts are defective?

Edit: I can't upload the pictures or provide links to them due to minimum posts requirement.
Old 07-14-21, 07:11 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Call or email Thor and ask for help. He knows the right answers. Roger
Old 07-14-21, 08:19 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
did you remove the m3 set screw that keep the the pin located in position?
Old 07-14-21, 09:40 AM
uma

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fentuz
did you remove the m3 set screw that keep the the pin located in position?
Yes, I removed the old pin from the frame by removing the set screw. Before trying new parts together (with the frame), I wanted to make sure that the latch is in correct position, i.e. at the end of the latch where the holes are, one side is flat and the rest is curved, which matches the nut piece. But the holes on the nut and the latch do not perfectly align no matter the position, therefore the pin can't go all the way through both.

Last edited by uma; 07-14-21 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo in through
Old 07-14-21, 11:05 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Originally Posted by uma
Yes, I removed the old pin from the frame by removing the set screw. Before trying new parts together (with the frame), I wanted to make sure that the latch is in correct position, i.e. at the end of the latch where the holes are, one side is flat and the rest is curved, which matches the nut piece. But the holes on the nut and the latch do not perfectly align no matter the position, therefore the pin can't go all the way through both.
seems like a concentricity issue, you might need to ream to holes together
Old 07-14-21, 11:28 AM
uma

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
seems like a concentricity issue, you might need to ream to holes together
Thank you, I just looked up what concentricity means and it sounds exactly like the problem I’m facing. I’m also thinking that filing down the flat side of the latch might be another solution.

Is this common with Dahon parts? This looks like a legit OEM part, not some aftermarket one.
I did email thorusa and asked them about it.
Old 07-14-21, 11:54 AM
Fentuz

If there are flashes of missmatches on the parts, you might have to file but anodization will be removed. It could be a clearance issue.

but it sounds like concentricity which can be only fixed with reaming or may be drilling at slow speed. (I don t believe you can bore it out as a diy job)
Old 07-14-21, 03:20 PM
uma

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If there are flashes of missmatches on the parts, you might have to file but anodization will be removed. It could be a clearance issue.

but it sounds like concentricity which can be only fixed with reaming or may be drilling at slow speed. (I don t believe you can bore it out as a diy job)
Thank you, I'm definitely not up for this task due to the lack of skills necessary to perform it.
I assume the defective part warrants a replacement just like any other defective product. Not willing to spend another $50 (the kit plus shipping) on this.
Whom do I contact in this case, the seller or the manufacturer?

Here are the pictures by the way - imgur.com/a/prWrfUV
Old 07-14-21, 07:05 PM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by uma
Thank you, I'm definitely not up for this task due to the lack of skills necessary to perform it.
I assume the defective part warrants a replacement just like any other defective product. Not willing to spend another $50 (the kit plus shipping) on this.
Whom do I contact in this case, the seller or the manufacturer?

Here are the pictures by the way - imgur.com/a/prWrfUV
My experiences with Dahon warranties have not been great, but I have to admit I once received a latch assembly under warranty, and it fit the frame design perfectly.