Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Leaving single pawl in a 120pt Chosen hub for noise reduction

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-23-21, 05:37 AM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Since I'm unable to find any similar wheels with cartridge bearings in similar price range then the last option (after trying out PFPE miracle grease which is supposed to last way longer due to good wetting ability on metals (low surface tension)) is to go with a single pawl instead of three. Some people on forums said that they "don't see the reason for more than one pawl from mechanical standpoint other than to fallow the trend of increased noise level, anyone who thinks otherwise has been skipping engineering lectures, more pawls will just accelerate the wear of engagement ring".
These pawls with multiple teeth seem to have the load spread over wider area anyway and the teeth are too small to break, seems like they can only wear down.

Last edited by sysrq; 09-23-21 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-23-21, 07:30 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
A single pawl puts all the load on that one pawl. Three pawls can distribute the load over all the pawls, even better than four pawls (think of how a three-leg stool automatically sits without wobble, while a four-leg stool will wobble unless the legs are precisely the same length).
Old 09-23-21, 07:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I guess if I ever have a freehub or freewheel wear out, maybe I will start to be concerned about such stuff.
Old 09-23-21, 08:01 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Read this article, describes a painful crash during the Giro a few years ago caused by removing pawls from a freehub
https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-g...lost-the-giro/
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-23-21, 08:11 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
If you are looking for a quieter hub, get Shimano's as they are nearly silent while coasting. My FH-7700 Dura Ace hub makes no noise at all. Shimano even makes a series of hubs intended for Police bikes that are completely silent.

Those who ride Campy, Chris King, etc. hubs claim their infernal racket is a feature, not a bug.

And, no, don't remove pawls from an existing hub.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 09-23-21, 09:53 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by sysrq
Since I'm unable to find any similar wheels with cartridge bearings in similar price range then the last option after trying out PFPE miracle grease which is supposed to last way longer due to good wetting ability on metals (low surface tension) is to go with a single pawl instead of three. Some people on forums said that they "don't see the reason for more than one pawl from mechanical standpoint other than to fallow the trend of increased noise level, anyone who thinks otherwise has been skipping engineering lectures, more pawls will just accelerate the wear of engagement ring".
These pawls with multiple teeth seem to have the load spread over wider area anyway and the teeth are too small to break, seems like they can only wear down.
I think the Darwin Awards might be interested in your story.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-23-21, 10:57 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
This is a stupid idea. 'People on forums' are telling you to remove 66.6% of parts of a critical component of the drive system because they 'don't see the reason' for them? Are these forum people mechanical engineers? Are they sharing the data that they analyzed to come up with this plan?

When I said 'stupid idea' I may have misspoke It's a phenomenally stupid idea.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 09-23-21, 11:01 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
if you prefer to walk your bicycle, you can do so & not have to remove mechanical parts.
Old 09-23-21, 12:55 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
As someone who has gone over the handlebars and landed on my chin due to trying to optimize improperly (and who grew up working in a machine shop and now has a PhD in Engineering) I would suggest that removing 2 of 3 pawls (or any, really) is exceptionally unwise.
I've also broken a dura ace cassette and it's pretty unnerving. If you're willing to risk 13 cracked teeth, and having the doc scrape the dirt out of your broken jawbone, or a broken neck, or your genitals bashed...

If the strength of materials were such that one pawl would hold, that's they way they would have designed it. In addition to leveling the stress on any individual pawl, having 3 of them offers some degree of fail-safety. If one breaks, the others catch you. If using grease instead of oil (the usual approach ) doesn't quiet the hub down enough, get another hub. It's really, really hard (and way more expensive) to get a lot of caps on your teeth as I did.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 09-23-21, 01:21 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
As someone who has gone over the handlebars and landed on my chin due to trying to optimize improperly (and who grew up working in a machine shop and now has a PhD in Engineering) I would suggest that removing 2 of 3 pawls (or any, really) is exceptionally unwise.
I've also broken a dura ace cassette and it's pretty unnerving. If you're willing to risk 13 cracked teeth, and having the doc scrape the dirt out of your broken jawbone, or a broken neck, or your genitals bashed...

If the strength of materials were such that one pawl would hold, that's they way they would have designed it. In addition to leveling the stress on any individual pawl, having 3 of them offers some degree of fail-safety. If one breaks, the others catch you. If using grease instead of oil (the usual approach ) doesn't quiet the hub down enough, get another hub. It's really, really hard (and way more expensive) to get a lot of caps on your teeth as I did.
Then probably the only way is to go to a LBS with the old wheel at hand to avoid sifting trough all the specifications while at the same time being able to hear how the clicking noise sounds on different wheels instead of buying online. As long as the clicking sounds on the softish side not sharp and harsh it should be ok. Although you can only tell the true sound when the excess grease has migrated away after some use, so it's not really possible to evaluate that way either.

Last edited by sysrq; 09-23-21 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-23-21, 02:05 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
Do you suffer from misophonia or some other affliction that makes freehub noise a major issue? If so, move past your preference for cartridge bearings and go with perfectly silent Shimano hubs. I like quiet hubs when I ride alone but some noise can be useful when others are involved. Give pedestrians or other riders a heads up when you approach.
Old 09-23-21, 02:13 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Do you suffer from misophonia or some other affliction that makes freehub noise a major issue? If so, move past your preference for cartridge bearings and go with perfectly silent Shimano hubs. I like quiet hubs when I ride alone but some noise can be useful when others are involved. Give pedestrians or other riders a heads up when you approach.
Might be misophonia or the harsh noise just adds to mental fatigue/anxiety during longish 3-8 hour rides at night/early morning.
The cup and cone bearings are hard to adjust just right in general. Shimano now makes few wheels with cartridge bearings such as WH-MT601
using 145mm OLD truough axles and disc brakes only as far as I know. Since I happen to have available rim brakes only at the back of the Thorn Audax Mk3R frame then Shimano is still out of the question. Also couldn't find any videos with WH-MT601 hub sound.
And since I have spare bearings for current wheel already stocked up then buying new wheels is not justifiable.

Last edited by sysrq; 09-23-21 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-23-21, 08:42 PM
Ross200

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Quit coasting!!!!!

If those hubs are half as loud in person as they are in the online videos, they make Chris King sound like Shimano Silent Clutch. VERY obnoxious! They would be gone from my bike in one short ride. I can't imagine them on a plastic bike. And I've got pre DT Hugi hubs to remind me to keep pedaling. Interesting technology though. You need the Chosen "Silence" hub where the pawls retract when not pedaling.

Cartridge bearings are over rated for hubs and cup and cone are easy to adjust properly. Shimano sez cup and cone have less friction and are more durable. But more expensive to make.

One of the great joys of night riding IS the quiet-
Old 09-23-21, 10:24 PM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
Phil Wood grease will quiet your pawls..
Old 09-24-21, 03:21 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by reconnaissance
Phil Wood grease will quiet your pawls..
I have some Lucas engine assembly oil which is supposed to be even more tacky and snotty than Phil Wood Tenacious oil, but it still creeps away in about one hour leaving nothing behind. Grease just gets displeased. Could use ferrofluid as a lubricant if engagement ring was magnetic, but people said it will attract metallic road grit so...
Old 09-24-21, 03:26 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Ross200
Quit coasting!!!!!
During long rides coasting provides some rest and allows to periodically concentrate on the surroundings since during peddling mind is at more tensed up state. Other reasons are reduced brake usage before stopping and high speed descents where keeping still is safer.

Last edited by sysrq; 09-24-21 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-24-21, 03:31 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Ross200
You need the Chosen "Silence" hub where the pawls retract when not pedaling.

One of the great joys of night riding IS the quiet-
Last time I looked at Chosen "Silence" there was only short article about it and not a single one available at Ali Express or anywhere else.
Old 09-24-21, 05:43 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/ear-plugs/s?k=ear+plugs
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-24-21, 08:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If a quiet freehub is desired, why not get a hub with a quiet freehub? Or just do your single pawl thing and not worry about what we say.

Without knowing how that particular freehub is designed, I'm wondering what the asymmetrical forces might do when only one point of the freehub is taking all the load of you pedaling.
Old 09-24-21, 08:28 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I use hope hubs and I have gotten so tired of listening to them on long rides that I pedal instead of coasting. This usually takes quite a bit longer than 8 hours for me though. Shimano is a good lower priced option, but I don't know if you can buy them right now. There are silent but expensive options like onyx. There are some others, but nobody has much experience with them yet.

I recommend against loading a freehub up with lube since that can cause engagement problems too.
Old 09-24-21, 08:51 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
As I see it you have two choices:

1. Buy an inherently quiet hub like a Shimano and learn the not-difficult art of adjusting cup-and-cone bearings every year or so.
2. Learn to live with the noise.

Removing pawls from your current freehub is a dreadfully poor, dangerous idea and grease will be a temporary fix and may cause cold weather engagement problems. I.e. the hub will freewheel both ways.
Old 09-24-21, 09:04 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
A single pawl puts all the load on that one pawl. Three pawls can distribute the load over all the pawls, even better than four pawls (think of how a three-leg stool automatically sits without wobble, while a four-leg stool will wobble unless the legs are precisely the same length).
the comparison of the stability of a three-legged stool with the load-bearing distribution of a three-pawl freehub makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 09-24-21, 11:00 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by sysrq
Might be misophonia or the harsh noise just adds to mental fatigue/anxiety during longish 3-8 hour rides at night/early morning.
The cup and cone bearings are hard to adjust just right in general. Shimano now makes few wheels with cartridge bearings such as WH-MT601
using 145mm OLD truough axles and disc brakes only as far as I know. Since I happen to have available rim brakes only at the back of the Thorn Audax Mk3R frame then Shimano is still out of the question. Also couldn't find any videos with WH-MT601 hub sound.
And since I have spare bearings for current wheel already stocked up then buying new wheels is not justifiable.
people have been adjusting cup and cone without problems for a long time, the newer shimano hubs have a different adjustment systems for cone and hub. it is dead easy to use. utegra 6800 a super quiet and not to expensive

Old 09-24-21, 02:34 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
the comparison of the stability of a three-legged stool with the load-bearing distribution of a three-pawl freehub makes no sense whatsoever.
Agreed.
Old 09-24-21, 02:48 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
And would a loud single-pawl hub be less annoying than the 3-pawl version? If I'm in bed and a faucet's dripping, it's infuriating whether it's a slow or a fast drip.

In fact:

"In ancient times (and probably sadly in modern times as well), a slow form of torture was used that involved tying someone up, holding them in place, and letting water slowly drip on their head for hours, even days."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.