Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New Retread

Old 09-24-21, 01:16 PM
YoungGoat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
New Retread

A 2 page note was written in Word during lunch. I tried to cut and paste. This message wont let me right click/ paste. Ideas?
Thanks

Edit. Well it will not cut and paste in the initial message but it will in a reply message. See below

Last edited by YoungGoat; 09-24-21 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-24-21, 01:34 PM
YoungGoat

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm new and so is my bike. It was purchased new over 50years ago so I guess it qualifies for this forum. <GG>

Insert broken record you've heard before. Sometime in my 20's life got too busy for biking and the bike was retired to the attic. First a little about me.

Weight loss was attempted for 35 years under my wife's leadership with no results. Five years ago I was laid up for a few days. Decided to study weight loss, nutrition and sauerkraut to keep me busy. Decided any weight loss program that my DW inflicted on me was to be ignored and only pay attention to everything else. In 6 days a program was formulated and implemented. Lost 13 pounds in 15 days. That's tough when the starting point was 225. Lost 51 pounds in 3 months. Now down 85 pounds AND have kept it off for years.

Three years ago demanded the Dr give me certain tests. I'm diabetic it revealed. Fortunately the weight loss and my weight loss diet had lowered me to pre-diabetic. The intent of biking is to lower me below prediabetic and be my anti cancer and anti Covid program.

When you have lost >6" off the waist there is a little slack in the muscles when I found the old bike two years ago. The shoe width shrank two sizes. Lost inch+ off the neck. The tight 38" belt is a loose 32" Weight loss achieved without exercise.

We live in the foothills and couldnt ride a 1/2 mile on the flattest section when I started. now up to 7 miles but had to cut down to 5 a day due to time. I'm restricted to 1.5 mile from home due to inability to pull terrain with current gearset.

Since this has been going on for two years biking may be a new habit.<GG>

Though retired I'm over obligated and time is precious. If I had time to read one subforum during lunch what should it be? Would someone tell me if current era bikes are any better than 50 year old technology? The springs in the rear derailur maybe weak and is making noise in H-1 and a little noise in granny. But no noise in H-5. Should I invest in a newer bike?

The bike is a >50year old steel frame 10speed imported from Austria. The frame is braced. Its 22.25" from crank center to top of seat tube. that is .25" higher than top tube. Shimano Center pull brakes.

Shimano 333's. The rear derailer maybe a Shimano "Journey GS and the front a Shimano Thunderbird" ? 1.25x27"

L-1 Granny 1.15

H- 1 1.53

H-5 3.71

Do they make a gear train with a lower granny?

Thanks
Old 09-24-21, 01:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Sauerkraut? You make your own? I've been thinking about fermenting some just to see. My parents always liked saurkraut but I never quite cared for it. Maybe on a Rueben sandwich. I have been making my own beer lately so I think I have most of the stuff to make sauerkraut.

Hard to say if you can easily put something to give you a lower gear ratio. A lot will depend on the type of derailleur that is on the rear. Or is this IGH (internal gear hub)?

Another possible solution might be to put smaller rings on the front crank, but that might also require another crankset.

Pics might help someone. You can put the pics on a hosting site like imgur.com and just write the URL to them in the plain text of you message. Remove the https:// and put a space before and after any . or dot.

The bicycle mechanics subforum will be better for asking questions about changing stuff on your bike. Here is better for telling and commiserating about your personal old age issues or boasting that you still can out do some of the younger crowd. Not so much for your bike being 50 yo. That will be in the classic and vintage subforum.
Old 09-24-21, 02:30 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
Sounds like your life health priorities would dictate more bike time.

The more you ride, the more you will benefit from riding a new or newer than 50yo bike.

and Super Congrats on health improvements. You stated, weight loss without exercise, but were riding your bike?!? Riding is exercise. A newer bike might help you exercise harder without pain - as in lower gears for hills and probably a better fit to your body and riding style.

edit: Yes, there is better gearing for hills with newer bikes. And your components (while functional) are lower end stuff even for their times. The best thing is to visit a bike shop that sells new and used bikes and make your own determinations. I ride old bikes and gearing modifications are not always simple. Want to learn to wrench vintage bikes?

Here are my Austrians - each about ~40 years young. They have components appropriate for their vintage, even tho acquired as frame & fork. The Michelle still had some original components when I got it.

AustroDaimler Olympian

AustroDaimler Vent Noir

AustroDaimler Michelle

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-24-21 at 06:21 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 09-24-21, 06:43 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

AustroDaimler Olympian

AustroDaimler Vent Noir
Straying off-topic, but those are beauts. There was a local-ish bike shop when I was in jr. high that carried Austo-Daimler and my brother and I would drool over those bikes. On my bucket list to have one (hopefully find cheap and 'rescue'!), ideally something with one of the 'smoked chrome' or other other cool colors! Though with the harsh hills where I live, it'd probably mostly hang on the wall.....

Is that a Selle Anatomica with cutout or the 'traditional' non-cutout on the Vent Noir?
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 09-24-21, 10:06 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

@ehcoplex - thanks, they are among my favorites in the Road Sport category in the 61cm size. You should find one for sale, for mountains a 46/30 crank works with vintage freewheels for climbing gears. VeloOrange sells ‘em. Generally on sale before Christmas.

the Vent Noir has a cutout SelleAnatomica, the saddle on the Olympian is a personal exploration of custom cutouts - this one a Brooks Pro.

But I’m trying the experiment on others, as at age 70 my sit bones are getting more picky.

4 cut, the top one needs new leather

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-24-21 at 11:03 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 09-25-21, 09:15 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I don't understand the numbers you've posted. How about the teeth counts on your chainrings and largest rear cog?
Old 09-25-21, 05:35 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Sounds like your life health priorities would dictate more bike time.

The more you ride, the more you will benefit from riding a new or newer than 50yo bike.

and Super Congrats on health improvements. You stated, weight loss without exercise, but were riding your bike?!? Riding is exercise. A newer bike might help you exercise harder without pain - as in lower gears for hills and probably a better fit to your body and riding style.

edit: Yes, there is better gearing for hills with newer bikes. And your components (while functional) are lower end stuff even for their times. The best thing is to visit a bike shop that sells new and used bikes and make your own determinations. I ride old bikes and gearing modifications are not always simple. Want to learn to wrench vintage bikes?

Here are my Austrians - each about ~40 years young. They have components appropriate for their vintage, even tho acquired as frame & fork. The Michelle still had some original components when I got it.

AustroDaimler Olympian

AustroDaimler Vent Noir

AustroDaimler Michelle
All of my road bikes are 40 to 60 years old (see signature), and my mountain bike is past the 30-year mark. Austrian bikes are cool.

Repainted Cap Sieger frame, serial number very close to that of my other Sieger, so who was I to say no to it?

Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-25-21, 05:44 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I don't understand the numbers you've posted. How about the teeth counts on your chainrings and largest rear cog?
I am assuming they are front/back tooth count ratios. 52/14 = 3.71 = 100-inch gear

39/34 = 1.15 = 31-inch gear
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 09-25-21, 05:54 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by YoungGoat
...The intent of biking is to lower me below prediabetic and be my anti cancer and anti Covid program.
Please don't believe the lie that covid only affects those that are overweight. Or diabetic, or old, or just have bad teeth. Being more virtuous than others won't protect you. You never know until you get it how bad it'll affect you. Although it's true that running a 102.7-103.8F temp for 11 days straight like I did *might* be too much for someone of frailer constitution.
Old 09-25-21, 06:04 PM
YoungGoat

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Front rings
L: 39
H: 52

Cluster: I heard thats called a cassette nowadays

1 34
2 28
3 21
4 17
5 14

Remember, when it comes to cycling I'm in the 60's
Old 09-25-21, 06:23 PM
YoungGoat

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Sauerkraut? You make your own? I've been thinking about fermenting some just to see. My parents always liked saurkraut but I never quite cared for it.
Sauerkraut is highly complicated.<GG> It requires cabbage, a cutting board, sharp knife and preferably a moat crock. Pack sliced cabbage into crock with stomper. Its supplies its own "yeast". Very rich in vitamin K-2 which controls calcium distribution and possibly will distribute to clear cardiac arteries. Homemade has different taste than store bought due to different fermentation process. I like it better. Initial cost about 140 ish. I have 2 moat crocks. Dont like open top crocks but have 2. Eat mainly a self invented recipe of caraway kraut.
Old 09-25-21, 06:53 PM
YoungGoat

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Wildwood;22244336]

You stated, weight loss without exercise, but were riding your bike?!?
. A newer bike might help you exercise harder without pain - as in lower gears for hills and probably a better fit to your body and riding style.

bike shop that sells used bikes

I lost the weight then 3 years later pulled the bike out of storage. To lose weight you need to change your diet or exercise 10 hours a day.

You will notice the obesity epidemic began about 3 years after George McGoverns passage of the Food pyramid legislation, that was about economic policy. 20% of kids are now considered obese. My observation is that cyclist are probably the population segment least effected by obesity.

local bike shop doesn't sell used. There's more profit in new. They start at about 2,000. I would rather buy used at this point.

You're hitting around an idea I'm considering.

I saw a "low mileage " bike on Craiglist in the 550.00 zone. If i buy a new rear deraileur , cluster/ freewheel, wheel vs just buy a"modern" used bike for a little more.

My problem is my mind is still in the 60's. Didnt know what a Trek was til a year ago. Saw something about a book price. Is there a book and where do I find it.?
Old 09-25-21, 07:06 PM
YoungGoat

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Wildwood;22244733]@ehcoplex - thanks, they are among my favorites in the Road Sport category in the 61cm size.
Quote]

The current bike is 22" from the crank center to the top of the top tube. What I remember is the Crank is supposed to be parallel to the seat tube and the foot slightly pointed downward. Its in the area. Where do I go to see if this is the area to learn about fitting the bike to me.? If I get a used one how much does a CM make?
Old 09-25-21, 07:08 PM
YoungGoat

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Posted above
Old 09-25-21, 07:14 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

The proper name for your cluster is "freewheel." They screw on. Cassettes slide on. New tech. IMO the largest advance in bike technology has been in tires, same as with other vehicles. So a new bike not only gets you more and lower gears, it also gets you access to modern tires.

Modern bikes usually come with a "compact" crankset which is 50/34 instead of the older 52/39. So that helps right there. If you look on Craigslist and other places used bike are advertised, you can probably find a 9 or 10-speed triple. That'll have 9 or 10 cogs on the cassette and three chainrings, so in your current bike's nomenclature 27 or 30 speeds. On a triple, the smallest chainring, called the granny, will have 30 teeth.

Bike gearing is measured in gear-inches. Gear-inches X pi =,the amount of advance of the bicycle in one rotation of the cranks. Gear-inches = wheel diameter X chainring teeth/cassette or freewheel teeth. A full explanation of gear-inches is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_inches

You current lowest gear is therefore 27 X 39/34 = 31 gear-inches. If you had a triple with a 34T cog on the cassette, your gear-inches would be 27 X 30/34 = 24 g.i. A compact-equipped bike with that cassette would have 27 X 34/34 = 27 g.i.

Mostly what makes climbing easier is fitness, which is most easily obtained by regular hill climbing. Yes, it's hard and yes it hurts. It takes a few years of consistent riding to get fit. "Consistent" is key, riding several times a week with one ride that's really exhausting, year-round. I started riding again on a bike about like yours at 50. It took me 3 years to get fit enough to ride a century, 100 statute miles.
Old 09-25-21, 07:29 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

[QUOTE=YoungGoat;22245503]
@ehcoplex - thanks, they are among my favorites in the Road Sport category in the 61cm size.
Quote]

The current bike is 22" from the crank center to the top of the top tube. What I remember is the Crank is supposed to be parallel to the seat tube and the foot slightly pointed downward. Its in the area. Where do I go to see if this is the area to learn about fitting the bike to me.? If I get a used one how much does a CM make?
How much visible seat post do you see between the seat tube and the saddle rail clamp? About 4" is reasonable, though that varies a lot.

OK, so you have a 56 cm bike. Now measure from the center of the seat tube to the center of the head tube, measuring along the top tube, That's a more important measurement than seat tube length IMO. Now you have the size, go shopping!
Old 09-25-21, 07:53 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

get 10 posts, then a pic of your bike, and an internet image of the cyclist or bicycle you envision.

It is all about what you desire
and how much time and money you can devote to getting it. Eh?

or maybe you want speed & ability to dominate on climbs

not like the almost last guy back there, Mr Garmin zig-zagging up the climb.

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-25-21 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-25-21, 09:22 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
[QUOTE=YoungGoat;22245492]

You stated, weight loss without exercise, but were riding your bike?!?
. A newer bike might help you exercise harder without pain - as in lower gears for hills and probably a better fit to your body and riding style.

bike shop that sells used bikes

I lost the weight then 3 years later pulled the bike out of storage. To lose weight you need to change your diet or exercise 10 hours a day.

You will notice the obesity epidemic began about 3 years after George McGoverns passage of the Food pyramid legislation, that was about economic policy. 20% of kids are now considered obese. My observation is that cyclist are probably the population segment least effected by obesity.

local bike shop doesn't sell used. There's more profit in new. They start at about 2,000. I would rather buy used at this point.

You're hitting around an idea I'm considering.

I saw a "low mileage " bike on Craiglist in the 550.00 zone. If i buy a new rear deraileur , cluster/ freewheel, wheel vs just buy a"modern" used bike for a little more.

My problem is my mind is still in the 60's. Didnt know what a Trek was til a year ago. Saw something about a book price. Is there a book and where do I find it.?
Home - Bicycle Values - BicycleBlueBook.com

Whatever it says it's just a ball-park estimate. There is a lot of demand for used bikes this year because of the shortage of bikes and parts.

I don't know why you would think there is more profit in a new bike than a used one.

I'm sure you can scrounge up the parts to put lower gearing on your current bike if that's what you want to do.If you want to buy a different bike you can measure your current bike and compare it to the geometry charts of one you are considering. As was mentioned above, the top tube is more important than the seat tube, and what is called a 56 by one maker may fit different than a 56 from someone else. Look at the stack and reach and how much room you have for adjustment.

Modern bikes use a threadless steer tube, so, no quill stem. The stem is clamped to the steer tube and if you need the handlebar higher you have a limited range, partly depending on how short the steer tube was cut.
Old 09-26-21, 12:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by YoungGoat
Sauerkraut is highly complicated.<GG> It requires cabbage, a cutting board, sharp knife and preferably a moat crock. Pack sliced cabbage into crock with stomper. Its supplies its own "yeast". Very rich in vitamin K-2 which controls calcium distribution and possibly will distribute to clear cardiac arteries. Homemade has different taste than store bought due to different fermentation process. I like it better. Initial cost about 140 ish. I have 2 moat crocks. Dont like open top crocks but have 2. Eat mainly a self invented recipe of caraway kraut.
Yes I've read how complicated it is. <grin>

My issue is my wife. She imagines it's going to fill the house with smells she doesn't want to smell while it's fermenting. I also remember my dad saying that all the sauerkraut his mom made in the cellar stunk to high heaven when he was a kid.

So I thought I'd wait till I could leave it in the garage to ferment. Though it's finally not topping 100°F in there anymore, it's still gets quite warm. Though I doubt one batch will be anything like the number of crocks my grandmother must have had going way back long before I was even born. That would have been in the 19-teens when my dad was a kid.
Old 09-26-21, 01:08 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts

You will notice the obesity epidemic began about 3 years after George McGoverns passage of the Food pyramid legislation, that was about economic policy. 20% of kids are now considered obese.
The food pyramid wasn't great, but it can hardly be blamed for the obesity epidemic - and there really isn't a date you can point to for when things went belly up (HA!)
Fast food, cheaper food, high-calorie food, cars, sedentary jobs, and television are bigger factors.
The fat people got a lot fatter, and everybody else got a little fatter.

https://voxeu.org/article/100-years-us-obesity
Old 09-26-21, 04:15 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott

The food pyramid wasn't great, but it can hardly be blamed for the obesity epidemic

I agree with you but I don't know how you attributed that quote to Wildwood.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-26-21, 04:19 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by big john

I agree with you but I don't know how you attributed that quote to Wildwood.
Post 13 - looks like @YoungGoat tried to nest a quote and made it look like Wildwood's.

Then you quoted YG in Post 19 and captured his nested quote made it look even more like WW's.

But at least we agree.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 09-26-21 at 04:23 PM.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 09-26-21, 06:16 PM
YoungGoat

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Can't talk tonight. Have houseful of grandkids.

Last night the forum blew up and told me there was a limit of 5 responses then I had to wait 24 hours.

I do have one immediate problem. For the past several days I thought the rear derailleur was going bad. I was checking bearings, etc. The solid plate on the back of a < one year old master link broke. LBS who had sold me the Shimano chain said that they didnt sell replacement master links. Said the only way to get master link was to buy new chain. Got home and found out I had paid 28.00 for a master link.

Went to Amazon and saw some 6ish links for <10.00 but comments by some lamented the quality. Has anyone bought off Amazon and gotten decent quality.? I can't ride til this is resolved. Thanks

Forum wont let me post. My 24 hour sentence not up yet. I have an hour or two to go. Will click on submit once an hour til it posts. If you see this i'm out of posting jail.
Old 09-26-21, 06:45 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
As far as I know, the quick-links from SRAM, KMC, etc, will all work on Shimano chains, as long as you get the right one (9speed, 10speed, etc.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.