Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 11-02-18, 08:19 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Yesterday I rode with a friend, a canyon route well before dawn, with freakishly 10x more traffic than usual. Then coffee, where she told me she had a major anxiety attack in the canyon and screamed aloud thrice (Wow, I never heard the screaming, got a little ahead on the hills) due to close passes from cars. Wut? I got passed by all those same cars and never felt threatened.

Also, it was too dark. Her eyes felt dry. She didn’t dress warmly enough and thought she was going to break a tooth shivering. And she’s “slow” now.

Wow, I really enjoyed my ride. 20 miles/1000 ft climbing, all HR zone 2/3 and coffee after (which is one of my favorite things, even if this time I had to change the subject multiple times!)
Old 11-02-18, 09:13 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
What % FTP are you targeting for the on/off portions? Can you share? I'd like to attempt these at some point.
Everyone will have an opinion on these. 30/30 can be structured in different ways depending on the goals. They can be great for crits where one could go really hard on the 30 on and very easy on the 30 off. Or they can be used for VO2 work and building threshold. The coach I use in LA for track loves these. He claims the Russians developed the concept and it is the most productive to build threshold power. The theory is that after the 30 on segment, the body has an overshoot such that the benefit of the "on" segment keeps accruing during the "off" segment so that one is effectively training VO2 during the entire time.

I set the upper limit a 120% FTP and the lower segment high tempo. I have done these before at 130 to 140% FTP. But then the lower set point has to be a lot lower or recovery. Adjusting the set point to ANO2 versus VO2 will generate a lot of fatigue so for this time of year. 120% was plenty. Also, these are typically done as 2x(3x10' 30/30) with 4'RBI and 10' rest between sets - an hour of VO2 work. I only had time for one set and if I were doing a second set, I would set the upper limit to maybe 115%. These work great on Fiesta since many times an interval gets interrupted by traffic or whatever and with these if there is an interruption, it is no big deal and easier to manage and stay safe.

Last edited by Hermes; 11-02-18 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-02-18, 10:47 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
18min spent at my "TT" 100% ftp power at lunch. Given the HR that's at versus the RPE, jeeesh I need some work. Couldn't even get the HR into the 170s on either 10min interval but the legs were absolutely on fire.

I desperately wish I had a TT bike. Looking at geometry photos versus my bastardized road bike setup is depressing. Literally throwing away gobs of power and speed.

I just love the gravel bike as an n+1 too much to sell that for a TT bike.

Maybe at work bonus time.
Old 11-02-18, 06:15 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Spent the day at work planning out my training schedule up until January. Think I have a good plan in place. Did 1 hours on the trainer this evening.

Also! My ne w gravel bike frame showed up today. Pretty excited to get this thing built up. Opened the box... they forgot to ship the fork! Luckily they're cool guys and have it in the mail out to me already. Pics will follow.
Old 11-04-18, 05:12 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Zwift race this morning. I've forgotten how to race zwift apparently. I missed acouple groups but was able to win from distance out of the 3rd group :/
Old 11-04-18, 09:11 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Zwift race this morning. I've forgotten how to race zwift apparently. I missed acouple groups but was able to win from distance out of the 3rd group :/
Is that like winning the field sprint for 40th out of the 3rd group in a race?

I have no idea how Zwift works.

my race videos
Old 11-05-18, 10:36 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

More of the same as the previous two weekends. This week total, I did 6 threshold / VO2 10' efforts plus gym work and a lot of tempo.
Old 11-06-18, 01:22 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Some opener efforts this morning (15', 10', 3') before my baseline FTP test tomorrow. I have no idea what to expect and I think my test value could be within a ~15 watt range. At any rate I'm not too worried about it as I have a big block planned and I expect to hit a fairly higher number (with tighter tolerances) next month!
Old 11-07-18, 09:13 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
After taking a few weeks off to reset and heal, my motivation isn't where it should be. I usually enjoy indoor cycling but right now that's not the case and with daylight savings I'm going to have to either do that or ride in pitch black. The latter I've just had a few close calls; my judgement of distance gets thrown off and I've hit some road debris on descents.

There's the crit course, but I'd have to drive there (or ride my bike through heavy rush hour traffic) so that has its own issues.
Old 11-07-18, 11:06 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Fiesta Island time trial bike workout. Another beautiful day with normal winds and temps in the low 70s.
Old 11-07-18, 12:13 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Baseline FTP test this morning, also on Fiesta Island. Not too far off where I was mid summer. Hopefully I can get some good momentum with training and set some records next year.
Old 11-07-18, 04:45 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by TMonk
Baseline FTP test this morning, also on Fiesta Island. Not too far off where I was mid summer. Hopefully I can get some good momentum with training and set some records next year.
I like that a lot. Fiesta is a lot tougher to score on than an ideal climb. Congrats.
Old 11-07-18, 05:29 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Thanks. I default to testing on Fiesta Island so it's an apples to apples comparison for me. I have tested on a climb before and it is nice to have bigger numbers . Fiesta for me is convenient, accessible and probably more applicable to the kind of racing I'm doing anyways.
Old 11-07-18, 06:21 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Gym day... Warmup on the Stages bike and then a bunch of stuff. However, the focus was on explosive leg strength and hitting the glutes at different angles. After warmup and foam rolling, I did band walking, glute bridges with weight and then box jumping followed by upper body and core work / stretching.
Old 11-07-18, 09:13 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Back into training mode. Some sweet spot and another (short) zwift race today. Only 3 people in the A category so it was bit cat and mouse-y. Barely outsprinted.

To answer @mattm 's question... yes it's exactly like that. The bigger races are like Gran fondos it feels like, but the new #doubledraft they've implemented seems to make the races feel a little closer to reallife rather than "how long can you hold sweetspot."
Old 11-08-18, 06:07 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
The bigger races are like Gran fondos it feels like, but the new #doubledraft they've implemented seems to make the races feel a little closer to reallife rather than "how long can you hold sweetspot."
That's exactly what it seemed like last year! Sweetspot all the time. Except for a couple of times I'd let up for a split second to pick up a towel or check my phone and I'd get out of the draft and the pack would be gone. No way to catch up.

Does the new draft help with being out of it for a few seconds, or is still the same "game over" situation?
Old 11-08-18, 08:48 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I suck at longer stuff. Just the consequence of not having the same time as other folks.

Did an endurance gravel ride yesterday. About 38mi of gravel in Umstead. 63mi total. Soooo slow. About 4400 feet. Nothing that grand. I did get a 3rd best PR (not 3rd overall) on a technical gravel area while staying in a pretty tempo zone instead of dying. So, a PR was probably possible if I wasn't on an endurance ride.

Would have made it a full century but busted my ass on a wet bridge after lunch. I called it there. Was also very frustrated I was dropping the chain once every 10mi or so. Some work to do there.

I need to capitalize on the base miles in the coming weeks afterwards somehow. Afterwards a week off and into a plan to grab some more watts.
Old 11-08-18, 09:23 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

One step closer to my gravel bike being done. Too much work recently to get anywhere, but the fork finally showed up. Already got the jobs lined up that i don't want to do (or don't have the tools to do) that I'm going to bring to a shop. Bleeding the disc brakes is one i can do, but damn it sucks..

Oh, training. Gym (Upper body / core) this morning and then an ez 45 minute ride tonight. Feeling some fatigue for multiple reasons (mostly work) so I'm gonna back down on volume for the beginning part of this season. Stick to max of 1.5 hour sweet spots rides rather than my usual of 2 hour stuff.
Old 11-09-18, 05:35 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Been going to the gym still. Warm up on the stationary bike, then alternate leg day, pull day, push day. I'm doing back squats on leg day, but notice lower back strength limits me. Still doing moderate reps. Starting low weight x15 and working up to moderate weight x 6 to 8 then moving on to split squats to target the legs better. Wondering how dead lifts the day after squats will work out in the longer run with the lower back fatigue. Anyone have experience getting squats and dead lifts in twice a week each?
Old 11-09-18, 08:59 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Been going to the gym still. Warm up on the stationary bike, then alternate leg day, pull day, push day. I'm doing back squats on leg day, but notice lower back strength limits me. Still doing moderate reps. Starting low weight x15 and working up to moderate weight x 6 to 8 then moving on to split squats to target the legs better. Wondering how dead lifts the day after squats will work out in the longer run with the lower back fatigue. Anyone have experience getting squats and dead lifts in twice a week each?
I was doing dead lift 3 times a week recently. 1 or 2 heavy progression days and 2 or 1 High rep days. I think the key is just form. I also bought a weight lifting belt to force me to not use my back and it seems to help prevent some of it. I just have to remember it's a tool, not a crutch.

Today was an hour with 6x~6 minute sweet spot. The sweet spot is already starting to feel easier than sweet spot should. I guess it's already almost time to re assess.
Old 11-10-18, 09:19 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Finally done with work for the week. Time for my long one day weekend...

Had planned gym in the morning and ride in the evening but found out my gym doesn't open until 6am on Saturday so had to push it off until after work. Got home, loaded up on pre-workout, knocked out leg day and then came home for a fun 1.5 hr ride with 3x12 over unders. I gues all the carbs (donuts) at work today helped push through this one.
Old 11-12-18, 11:40 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I did my wife's racing team ride on Saturday. It was a fun ride with about 100 feet per mile of climbing. Sunday was 2 hour endurance ride on my time trial bike on mostly flat terrain.
Old 11-12-18, 11:44 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
First time on Zwift in awhile. It’s fun, but dang I have to wonder where all these 4.2w/kg riders are in the real world.
Old 11-13-18, 08:48 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

More of the same. Weights 3 days a week, 2days of legs. Lots of sweet spot work and I'm bumping my levels up a bit as I recapture some fitness. Knee is improving but not 100%, but I think I've found the root of the pain. I can't bend my knee "backwards." Think about how you would flex your quads to show off by pushing the knee back. I can't really do that without pain on my right leg. Aggressive massage and stretching has helped. Ibuprofen helps a lot too.

Also fighting a bit of the office, winter sickness. Trying to avoid the (almost inevtiable) sinus infection it usually brings. I'm a bit ahead of it with drugs and massive doses of vit c and zinc.
Old 11-14-18, 01:04 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I am so tired of the work gym having broken junk. Broken fans again. I put in 30 min, but when doing 8 min reps at 95% of 20min power or 100% of hour power it isn't the time to be baking yourself from the inside-out.

I guess I'll bring my own box fan and keep it in the car or at my desk and take it with me to the gym. That'd be better than nothing.

I'd do more at home, but don't like having to put miles on the nice roadie or swap parts on the cyclocross bike to use that. I'd rather keep that as-is so I can grab gravel miles when possible.

Ugh.......at least I have that free Felt DA frameset to stare at. $300 in cheap/used parts and that badboy is gonna fly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.